09-28-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
So i am about to buy an adjustable but thought i would get some input from you guys before i pull the trigger. I have never been much of a vintage razor guy so that leads me to the Progress or the Futur. Also i love my other Merkurs so i have faith they are both great razors. I am leaning towards the futur but just wanted hear some actual owners opinions of both and for those that have tried both i would love to know if you think the futur is $16 or so better than the progress. Thanks for any info and help guys.

0 14
 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
They are both awesome and two of my favorites. You can't go wrong with either one, and will likely end up owning both at some point. Either one an be dialed down to be gentle or opened up for aggressive blade exposure. They both have very different characteristics, but they are both incredible. Good luck!

0 295
 09-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've never tried the progress but I own 2 Futurs and absolutely love them. They seem to get a bad rap from a lot of folks due to their large size and weight, but I find them perfectly sized, being a large fellow myself. They shave magnificently, have amazingly loud feedback and can go from moderate shaves to damn near scary aggression. They don't really have a "mild" setting...even 1 is moderate aggression in most folks eyes.

The Progress is smaller and more agile for those who don't like large razors and they give a milder shave. Also, some progress razors have adjustment issues where the dial gets out of alignment and doesn't exactly correspond to the correct setting the razor is on, or something along those lines, I'm sure someone will chime in and explain it better. I think some Futur's can have blade alignment issues but honestly I think that is just a cosmetic concern, mine occasionally look like they have uneven exposure on one side of the razor but they always shave well so I don't see an issue.

31 1,510
 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I,ve had both and like the Futur better but the progress is a great razor too, its just personal prefrence they both shave great.

115 1,692
 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
i have tried both and they are indeed very nice razors. Having said that, i did not like the Futur's head as the head mechanism was a tad too flimsy for me. i prefer the Progress's secure manual-locking mechanism with the two-piece design; much more rigidly clamping down the blade and i also like the Progress' shorter overall length compared to the Futur. Another thing is the handle pattern which i find less slippery with the Progress compared to the Chrome version of the Futur. Whatever you decide, i am sure you will enjoy the razors.

75 20,883
 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I prefer the original Progress over the Futur because its slightly smaller, handles a little bit better and more settings to choice from.

100 12,438
 09-28-2012, 03:14 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
I have owned both. I have 2 Futurs at the moment. 1 in Gold and one with a Satin finish.An excellent razor with a wider range of adjustability than the Progress. My Progress 'disappeared' in Afghanistan a few years back, and I do not intend to replace it!

1 561
 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with the satin Futur. Now comes the bad part, waiting for it to get here.

0 14
 09-28-2012, 05:57 PM
User Info
Good luck with the wait and the Satin Futur is the best choice, in my opinion for the Futurs. Enjoy the razor.

75 20,883
 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 05:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Good luck with the wait and the Satin Futur is the best choice, in my opinion for the Futurs. Enjoy the razor.

abrigado

0 14
 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
(09-28-2012, 05:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Good luck with the wait and the Satin Futur is the best choice, in my opinion for the Futurs. Enjoy the razor.
Mines gold so you dont like mine Tongue

Congrats on the purchase, cant wait to hear your thoughts on it, its got incredible feedback and i enjoy that, almost a pinging sound mowing down those whiskers

115 1,692
 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 08:21 PM)Triad Wrote:
Mines gold so you dont like mine Tongue

Congrats on the purchase, cant wait to hear your thoughts on it, its got incredible feedback and i enjoy that, almost a pinging sound mowing down those whiskers

Yeah i am interested in hearing this sound i've read about.

0 14
 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM
User Info
The best price on the long handled progress new I've seen is $64 total price. The futur is $74 total price. Not a big price difference. The futur seems on average to have less issues with the finish. I believe that this is because the futur is very smooth in design as in less detailed curves, ridges, etc. The one spot it seems to have problems is underneath where the spring sits. The futur is harder to get around the ears and underneath the nose due to it's more domed head and that it completely covers the blade and beyond making the side edge areas not usable to shave with. The lack of a knurled grip for futur doesn't bother me. There is a proper grip to use with a long handled razor where the knurling or lack thereof means nothing. To be able to completely take the futur apart and clean it is a plus. This cannot be done with a progress. The progress head assembly cannot come apart although the slip ring can be carefully removed to use the razor as a classic 3 piece and to keep it apart to dry out between shaves. The two thin metal bars that hold the top piece of the head of the futur seem like a weak spot. I've seen some futurs where the bars are bowed out. Maybe it won't hinder the function. It would be best in my opinion to keep the top head piece off while not in use and this may not happen. Adjustablility wise, the futur also go from 7-12. If you push down on the head to get it over the metal post piece blocking it from going past the six, you get six more settings. With the progress it is easier to go to the higher settings as you just continue to spin the adjustment knob. There is no obstacles in the way and it can safely go to about a 12 with the top head piece and blade still secure. For the progress going to the higher settings is easier as there is nothing from stopping the knob from spinning. The highest it can safely go is 12 or 5+5+2 before the top head piece and blade may become loose. I prefer the progress myself. I've had both and got closer shaves with the progress so I sold off the futur a long time ago. I also prefer the classic look of it and feel that it is just an all around better design. Offcourse this is my opinion and everyone has their own.

0 11
 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have both razors and prefer the Progress. I also have the Merkur HD and continue to get great shaves with it. But I find both adjustable razors have blade gap issues. The skin on my face and neck is not smooth and any razor with a big vertical gap between the blade and the safety bar is going to peel off parts of my face (as has happened way too often with these razors). I can use the Progress at setting 2 for my cheeks and 1 or 0 everywhere else. If you have smooth skin, then I would recommend the Progress. It is much more agile and easier to use. I found no QC issues with mine and, if I am very careful, I even enjoy shaving with it. Ultimately I will sell the Futur as even on the lowest setting I find it hard not to cut myself.

Surprisingly, the razors that work best for me are the Gillette old type and the Merkur OC (all the Merkur OC heads are the same so any model will do). Ironically, OCs have a reputation for being "dangerous". YMMV Cool

16 542
 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I'm on the road currently and brought 3 adjustable razors with me...for something a bit different than my normal rotation. The Futur, a Mergress LH and a Gillette Slim Adjustable. All three are impressive tools and I would recommend anyone owning them all (sooner or later).

I used the Futur at setting 6 this morning - which I feel is probably unnecessary. I'm pretty sure that 3 passes and a touchup with any setting 3 on up will prove to be more than adequate. Oddly enough, I prefer the Futur over the Vision 2000...which probably sounds a bit strange.

The Mergress, which is on deck for tomorrow, will be turned back to setting 4, which I believe will be a good all around setting for it. I find it interesting that the same company makes both the Futur and the Progress razors...they are considerably different in their design and characteristics...and both are exceptionally good. When we add Merkur's Slant to the equation, things get even more interesting.

Finally, I prefer to leave my Gillette Slim Adjustable on setting 9. For me, this is still a very smooth - and fairly mild - setting. It's really hard to find fault with the Slim, it does everything pretty well.

I can't actually say that I currently have a favorite among these three. Each of them will give you a shave that is exceptional.

29 466
 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
I tend to favor the Progress over the Futur only because of the weight. Both give fine shaves, however the Futur is a bit too heavy for me.

4 286
 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
Here is a review I compared both razors:

http://shavenook.com/thread-merkur-futur...r-progress

The conclusion of the comparison was:

1. Design-wise, futur is a beauty, progress is mediocre.
2. İ love shaving with both guys.
3. Progress has a sound of her own but Futur's sound is much better.
4. Progress is more agressive at setting 3
5. Progress is easier to maneuver
6. Futur is easier to load
7. Both are great performers, but i don' advice novice shavers to begin with either of them

I hope it helps..

4 365