07-07-2020, 08:38 AM
User Info
Gents!
I think I bought the last offering of Sē’bŭm Gold soap...a tub of the Red Sangria.  

My first bowl test lather was last night, only applied to my hand.  This morning I tried face lathering.  I got it to work, but it was cumbersome, to say the least.  It was very dry when I initially applied the soap.  Maybe a little more water in the brush to begin, protolather.  Nevertheless, Great shave with an Aristocrat, great post shave, residual slick was meh.  I first used my Razorock Monster Brush, too large.  Then a 26 mm, semi stiff, 2BED knot from AP Shave.  Next time I’ll use a softer 24-26 mm synth like my Fendrihan.  

Anyone have a face lather method for Sē’bŭm that works, or is Sē’bŭm really a “bowl lathering with a synth brush“ kind of soap...as proscribed?  What about a boar brush?  Tried that with Sē’bŭm soap?

Pete

4 208
 07-07-2020, 08:54 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
If anybody knows, likely Nervosa

6 702
 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've only used the following sequence for SG lathering.
Any brush properly used works fine w SG : synthetic, boar, badger, etc.

1. start with a clean bowl
2. smear small amount into bowl
3. soak and then shake brush almost dry
4. bowl lather : swirl, add a touch of water, swirl, repeat as needed until lather has proper thickened consistency to apply to face
5. face lather :  swirl on face, adding a touch of water as needed
6. shave

119 19,519
 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM
User Info
(07-07-2020, 10:49 AM)Agravic Wrote: I've only used the following sequence for SG lathering.

4. bowl lather : swirl, add a touch of water, swirl, repeat as needed until lather has proper thickened consistency to apply to face
6. shave

Thanks Ravi.

4 208
 07-07-2020, 12:03 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Thanks Ravi. All well?

6 702
 07-07-2020, 12:12 PM
User Info
(07-07-2020, 10:49 AM)Agravic Wrote: I've only used the following sequence for SG lathering.

6. shave

I agree with Ravi-after much experimentation, I've found this is the best way to go with the Sē'bŭm soaps. It's kind of a hybrid method, where the lather is mostly made in the bowl, and then some face lathering to make sure the lather is properly hydrated.

I like to err on the side of under hydrating just a bit when doing the bowl lathering part of the process. I will then use paintbrush strokes to paint the lather on the face and assess the hydration. If more is needed, dip the tips, paint the water in, perhaps agitate with some splaying of the brush, paint to smooth, and there you go.

Also, yes, synthetics are easier. The RR Monster will work fine, but more soap is needed. I've gotten to the point where even the densest badgers work well with the proviso that I follow Matt's (Ols67) advice of squeezing the lather out of the brush half way through the bowl lathering process and then right before application to the face. Probably my technique, but I find that even the most lather hogging brush isn't an issue. 

I don't know if you've seen Sē'bŭm's owner Rick's short video on him lathering the soap, but it was quite helpful.

Here's some lather made with a dense badger knot after the first 'brush squeeze, the second, and the lather on the brush:

[Image: Cr0p0Bz.jpg][Image: LYSz1Ao.jpg][Image: pfNqIRF.jpg]

36 1,054
 07-07-2020, 07:07 PM
User Info
Looks really good Michael!

87 1,797
 07-07-2020, 07:13 PM
User Info
Michael, that lather looks great!

60 10,499
 07-08-2020, 09:07 AM
User Info
Thank you, Zac, thank you Ricardo.

I had almost abandoned this brand, as I tried just swirling the brush on the puck and going right to the face with a wet, dense badger brush. Heaven forbid I would read any directions!   Cool 

So, I went to the damp synthetic, added water very slowly, and voilá, a wonderful lather.

Ravi, Matt, and some others reported that they had no issues with badgers or boars, and although it took a bit of experimenting, I was able to get it to lather with any brush in my den.

Even my nemesis lather hog, the Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian:

[Image: FT1Mtc4.jpg][Image: EUJUQxB.jpg][Image: bp0QbFl.jpg]

36 1,054