09-28-2012, 08:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
After 23 years of drinking coffee daily, I have decided that my stomach can no longer tolerate it. I think it is the acidity and not the caffeine and thus will be switching to tea. This is going to take some getting used to as coffee is very much part of my morning routine. <sigh>

45 16,352
 09-28-2012, 09:16 PM
User Info
Yeah the coffee can be rough on the stomach, that's pretty much why I switched over to tea as well...between the coffee and the antiinflammatories that I've been taking daily for over 3 years my stomach was a mess...the tea helped out quite a bit.

5 938
 09-28-2012, 09:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
You are right, it's the acid that makes your stomach uneasy.
I drink tea daily, it is the hot drink of choice for Russians, it is very nice and relaxing, there are many flavors. That said, I have to have a cup of coffee in the morning.

88 4,233
 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've never been able to tolerate the acid in coffee, especially black coffee, so I've been a tea drinking for a while now, especially black tea. Occasionally I try and manage a cappuccino, but the major dose of caffeine usually hits me hard since I am no longer used to it.

35 1,732
 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
User Info
After about 27 years of starting my day with a cup... I feel your pain. If the acidity is the problem, have you considered something like the Toddy cold brew?
I have one - mostly so I can make lattes and ice coffee, but the concentrate also makes a very nice cup of steaming hot wake-up-juice in the morning Smile

There are many nice teas out there that I enjoy - I'm sure you find one you like too.

3 3,580
 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-28-2012, 09:27 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: After about 27 years of starting my day with a cup... I feel your pain. If the acidity is the problem, have you considered something like the Toddy cold brew?
I have one - mostly so I can make lattes and ice coffee, but the concentrate also makes a very nice cup of steaming hot wake-up-juice in the morning Smile

There are many nice teas out there that I enjoy - I'm sure you find one you like too.

The Toddy Cold Brew is definitely worth trying...I had never heard of it before. Biggrin I love this forum. Thank you very much for the suggestion Hans.

45 16,352
 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
Phil, you should try Yerba Mate. i know it will help out with any jitters from foregoing the coffee and it will help heal your stomach, i believe. You can check out the Tea Thread to see which one i would recommend and you can ask Tom what he thinks of it as he as just acquired some and is trying it out. i can almost assure you that once you try it for a few months, you will really enjoy it as it will provide good energy without the acidity. Good luck.

75 20,883
 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Thank you for the suggestion Celestino...I will be checking out the tea thread....I have a lot to learn.

45 16,352
 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
User Info
The best advice I can offer for someone starting off is if you see a Teavana grab your wallet and run the other direction; their tea is mediocre and highly over priced and their staff is as knowledgeable about tea as the AOS staff is about shaving. There are plenty of other places to buy high quality tea at reasonable prices.

A note on the Yerba Mate:

It's definitely and acquired taste (very earthy/ vegetal), but the graphic below sums it up nicely...

Attached Files Image(s)

5 938
 09-28-2012, 09:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will take up the slack for you Phil. Here it is 12:53 AM on Saturday morning and I'm drinking coffee right now. Coffee has been my hot beverage of choice for most of my adult life. There is almost always a pot on the fire around here.

173 23,546
 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-28-2012, 09:55 PM)Johnny Wrote: I will take up the slack for you Phil. Here it is 12:53 AM on Saturday morning and I'm drinking coffee right now. Coffee has been my hot beverage of choice for most of my adult life. There is almost always a pot on the fire around here.

You must have a cast iron stomach Johnny. Bow

45 16,352
 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Johnny you're a champ! How do you sleep after that? I have a feeling you wiil say "like a baby" Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-28-2012, 09:52 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: The best advice I can offer for someone starting off is if you see a Teavana grab your wallet and run the other direction; their tea is mediocre and highly over priced and their staff is as knowledgeable about tea as the AOS staff is about shaving. There are plenty of other places to buy high quality tea at reasonable prices.

It's definitely and acquired taste (very earthy/ vegetal), but the graphic below sums it up nicely...

I used to drink a blend of black tea and Yerba Mate called Morning Thunder back in college. Their motto was, "the power of 1000 charging buffalo". 24

45 16,352
 09-28-2012, 10:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-28-2012, 10:01 PM)beartrap Wrote: Johnny you're a champ! How do you sleep after that? I have a feeling you wiil say "like a baby" Biggrin

Yes sir, like a baby. Coffee has never caused me to loose any sleep. It does help keep the bladder flushed out.

173 23,546
 09-29-2012, 12:17 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 10:01 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 09:52 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: The best advice I can offer for someone starting off is if you see a Teavana grab your wallet and run the other direction; their tea is mediocre and highly over priced and their staff is as knowledgeable about tea as the AOS staff is about shaving. There are plenty of other places to buy high quality tea at reasonable prices.

I used to drink a blend of black tea and Yerba Mate called Morning Thunder back in college. Their motto was, "the power of 1000 charging buffalo". 24

Now that's some serious go juice...

5 938
 09-29-2012, 03:16 AM
User Info
Bullgoose,

Would you like to try some Ringtons Northumbrian Blend loose leaf tea?

Ringtons Northumbrian Blend

The delivery man comes round to my house every fortnight on a Thursday morning and I've a spare pack sitting there. You do a hell of a lot of people a hell of lot of good, so I'm happy to send you this gratis. No strings attached mate, not trying to get a discount or anything. Just spreading some tea love.

I like coffee but it doesn't like me and this is the very best black tea for flavour that I can afford as an everyday tea. Over to you, sir.

Pinkies out!

1 253
 09-29-2012, 04:00 AM
User Info
Interestingly i just started drinking coffee this week. I always hated coffee but recently decided i wanted to give it another shot for a source of caffeine in the morning. Did some research and found coffee doesnt have to taste bitter and burnt like i thought, bought the appropriate tools, and now i am loving coffee.

0 14
 09-29-2012, 04:27 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 09:32 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-28-2012, 09:27 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: After about 27 years of starting my day with a cup... I feel your pain. If the acidity is the problem, have you considered something like the Toddy cold brew?

The Toddy Cold Brew is definitely worth trying...I had never heard of it before. Biggrin I love this forum. Thank you very much for the suggestion Hans.

I'm another one that has not heard of the Toddy before. Thanks for sharing Hans!

Good luck Phil. I've tried being a tea drinker before, and while I enjoy tea it hasn't come close to replacing coffee for me.

31 7,914
 09-29-2012, 04:56 AM
User Info
I have found that I enjoy the different flavors of tea as much as I did those of coffee. In particular I like Irish Rum Cream, and Chocolate Mint, from http://www.capitolteas.com

6 230
 09-29-2012, 06:14 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Anyone that doesn't have stomach problems from drinking coffee or even certain foods count yourself lucky. There are many temporary solutions. You could cut down on your coffee, take over the counter medications, use less acidic coffee. I personally drink coffee every couple of days and limit myself to one cup. But at my age I will not give it up.

One other thing Phil that my help it try drinking it iced. Basically what you are doing is watering it down. But it taste great and refreshing.

100 12,445