07-19-2020, 08:22 AM
User Info
What is the proper way to store a styptic pencil? I placed mine in a small shot glass and the result looks like this. It has developed these hard spikes and is no longer useful. 

[Image: 3MYMjLW.jpg]

[Image: AqSmZVX.jpg]

[Image: PPQySkM.jpg]

0 146
 07-19-2020, 09:22 AM
User Info
I have one of those small, skinny Pinaud styptic pencils that come in it's own thin plastic sleeve with a cover.  There are holes to allow moisture to escape so it prevents those sharp spikes from forming.    I just keep mine in it's case in the medicine cabinet standing up.  Fortunately I don't find myself using it all that much but on that rare occassion it's there and does what it's supposed to do.

2 391
 07-19-2020, 10:47 AM
User Info
I keep one in my GoBag in the little hard plastic sleeve it came in. So far I've not had to actually use it... Biggrin

3 7,250
 07-19-2020, 05:40 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I use Shavex alum block. It comes in a plastic case.

I think a styptic pencil is just powdered alum and a binder.

1 665
 07-19-2020, 06:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-19-2020, 09:22 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have one of those small, skinny Pinaud styptic pencils that come in it's own thin plastic sleeve with a cover.  There are holes to allow moisture to escape so it prevents those sharp spikes from forming.    I just keep mine in it's case in the medicine cabinet standing up.  Fortunately I don't find myself using it all that much but on that rare occassion it's there and does what it's supposed to do.

+1

19 4,437
 07-19-2020, 06:46 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I just keep mine in the drawer for the occasions that I need it.  No tube, no sleeve.

Yours can be salvaged.  Sand the spikey parts off the business end using an emery board.  Or even wipe the spikey parts  back and forth on a wet wash cloth until they're gone.
Store it where it can dry.

66 1,944
 07-19-2020, 07:16 PM
User Info
(07-19-2020, 05:40 PM)David Wrote: I use Shavex alum block.  It comes in a plastic case.

I think a styptic pencil is just powdered alum and a binder.

I think you're correct.  But I have found the need for a binder after an especially bad shave when alum wasn't able to stop the bleeding.  That is rare mind you.  But it's happened.

2 391
 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM
User Info
 07-21-2020, 06:03 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I use the Proraso styptic gel. feels like diluted crazy glue. Washes off easily after completing the task. The last time I used it was a cooking nick on one knuckle that wouldn't stop bleeding. Worked like a charm. For more serious cuts I use a chinese herb called Yunnan Baiyao. I pour the powdered herb on the cut, scrape etc apply a bandage and the bleeding stops quickly.

0 474
 08-08-2020, 01:25 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I go months and months without the need of one but what I do use is one that's sort of a liquid with a roller ball applicator and a twist off cap, like some underarm deodorants. Very convenient and smart. It's about the size of chapstick.

8 2,829
 08-08-2020, 08:01 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I don't use a styptic very often - I have a fat one one that dates back to the late 60's or early 70's .. it has lived well all these grisly years in the original plastic tube as supplied .. just one crack ..

I also have a travel Pinaud in the skinny plastic tube, but when I get more than a weeper I usually reach for the powdered stuff I got from my barber - Nick Relief works better than the styptic or the liquids I've tried

71 718
 08-08-2020, 09:53 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I'd say the proper way to store a styptic pencil is in the trash can! Biggrin
I haven't used a styptic pencil in years! In fact, the last time I used it was to stop the bleeding when I trimmed my dog's nails too short.
Honestly, you're better off with an alum block instead.

49 2,170