09-29-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
Many of the creams I bought when I first got into wetshaving were of the Anglican variety and presented in tubs as opposed to tubes.

The SCs I have in pots/tubs are more infinitely more enjoyable to use, I've found, than the ones in tubes. I like swirling my brush on the top of the cream and feeling like I got the lather from an explosive, easy to lather soap.

Now, the SCs in question were originally wetter in composition; they've dried down over the months and years from now having their lids on while left out to dry.

Now I'm experimenting with putting tubed creams into tubs. Some dry easily - others don't. How can I speed up the drying process? -if I even can.

0 257
 09-29-2012, 07:56 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Spread it thin will work.

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
I was wondering this recently, as I definitely prefer tubs to tubes. Subscribed.

2 362
 09-29-2012, 09:33 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've done this now with a Tube of Old Spice as well as a tube of Speick that dried out a bit. I just put them in a totally dry room with lots of air movement with no lid on them. Usually within a week they're dried out enough that you have to poke down into the mix to get cream thats not solidified. Within three weeks or so you should have a nice croap that lasts longer than the creams.

116 3,804
 09-29-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
If you're a member over at SMF, there's an interesting thread there started by Dr. Moss about turning creams into soaps. He mentions using his film dryer to do it.

183 12,002
 09-29-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
I've hear putting them in the fridge helps with dehydration.

0 252
 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:I've hear putting them in the fridge helps with dehydration.
I've done this. Spread the cream thinly on a glass plate and put it in the fridge for a 4/5 days, it will suck the moisture out.

12 743
 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM
User Info
Excellent. Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about the fridge. I don't know if I'd heard this elsewhere or intuitively knew. I assume it was the former.

To the fridge these go.

Mumbai Old Spice in Fresh Lime, tubed, is among my favorite SCs. I'd love to harden it into a puck without its losing any of its scent.

Fortunately, I've a ton of tubes of Mumbai Spice Biggrin

0 257
 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
My tub of TOBS sandalwood cream dried out all on its own over the course of about a year. I had used about half of it up until that time. When I "rediscovered" it it was of a nice soft soap consistency, shaved well, and had not lost its aroma.

3 543