07-25-2020, 05:22 PM
User Info
Hello bald gentlemen,
I’m working on converting my neighbor to wet shaving.
He shaves his noggin, in addition to his face.
Thankfully, I don’t have a need to shave my head...but I can’t help him!

Do you head shavers use a normal DE razor?
Long handle?  Short handle?
Would my Merkur Classic 1904 closed comb razor be a good starter razor? 
What’s a good DE for head shavers?
Pete

4 202
 07-26-2020, 06:36 AM
User Info
I’d introduce him to injectors, as there is no better tool for cleaning around the ears, imo. After getting a taste of a single blade, lots of control and a sharp blade (schicks), he will probably come back for more.

9 1,603
 07-26-2020, 07:29 AM
User Info
Your Merkur 1904 is a very mild razor that would be ideal for shaving his head. Of course, that would depend on how he gets on with it, but seeing as it is such a mild razor, I don't foresee him having issues with it. 
Any other mild razors, even the injector razors, as mentioned above, might be very good options for him. He could even try the razor he uses to shave his face with.

92 21,340
 07-26-2020, 07:51 AM
User Info
Great suggestions!  Thank you.
He’s using a cartridge razor now.  
I’m sure that he will be amazed by just switching to a shave soap!

4 202
 07-26-2020, 11:05 AM
User Info
If one has never used a DE before, I would not start shaving the back of the head right away with a DE razor. Doable, but a bad idea as you have not developed the skills yet and are likely to get cut. Start with shaving the beard and the visible parts of the head first. Look, listen and feel when shaving. Develop good technique and identify the correct equipment for yourself. When you are comfortable with these aspects, and can shave by feel, then try the back of the head. Feel and get familiar with the curves in the back of your head. Use the tips of 3 fingers next to each other and run them along the paths the razor will take. 3 fingers is roughly the width of the razor head and you can feel the curves the razor head will encounter. Go slow and carefully until you develop muscle memory. 

The skin and hair on your head can be different from that of your beard. It is for me. Don't be surprised if your get better shaves with different razors and blades for your head, than from your beard. For a razor, I will always recommend an adjustable razor in your budget. Lot of people say that the parker variant or merkur progress are good options. I use a gillette slim to shave my head.

0 146
 07-26-2020, 11:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-26-2020, 11:05 AM)meshave Wrote: If one has never used a DE before, I would not start shaving the back of the head right away with a DE razor. Doable, but a bad idea as you have not developed the skills yet and are likely to get cut. Start with shaving the beard and the visible parts of the head first. Look, listen and feel when shaving. Develop good technique and identify the correct equipment for yourself. When you are comfortable with these aspects, and can shave by feel, then try the back of the head. Feel and get familiar with the curves in the back of your head. Use the tips of 3 fingers next to each other and run them along the paths the razor will take. 3 fingers is roughly the width of the razor head and you can feel the curves the razor head will encounter. Go slow and carefully until you develop muscle memory. 

The skin and hair on your head can be different from that of your beard. It is for me. Don't be surprised if your get better shaves with different razors and blades for your head, than from your beard. For a razor, I will always recommend an adjustable razor in your budget. Lot of people say that the parker variant or merkur progress are good options. I use a gillette slim to shave my head.

Excellent post.

19 4,440
 07-26-2020, 11:25 AM
User Info
(07-26-2020, 11:13 AM)chazt Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 11:05 AM)meshave Wrote: If one has never used a DE before, I would not start shaving the back of the head right away with a DE razor. Doable, but a bad idea as you have not developed the skills yet and are likely to get cut. Start with shaving the beard and the visible parts of the head first. Look, listen and feel when shaving. Develop good technique and identify the correct equipment for yourself. When you are comfortable with these aspects, and can shave by feel, then try the back of the head. Feel and get familiar with the curves in the back of your head. Use the tips of 3 fingers next to each other and run them along the paths the razor will take. 3 fingers is roughly the width of the razor head and you can feel the curves the razor head will encounter. Go slow and carefully until you develop muscle memory. 

Excellent post.

+1

65 1,937
 07-26-2020, 12:08 PM
User Info
(07-26-2020, 11:25 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 11:13 AM)chazt Wrote:

Excellent post.

+1

+2

4 202
 08-02-2020, 06:02 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I go through phases with head shaving.  I do it for 5 or 6 months, sometimes longer, then I take up to a year off, then go back to it again.  I haven't done it for about a year, so maybe I'd start up again soon.

I've tried SE and DE, but I found what works best for me.  A Gillette disposable cart.  Seriously.  I think they are some of the old ones with just 2 blades, but I may have run out of them and these ones have 3 blades.  They're packed away at the moment so I can't check.  I never nick myself.  They work great.  

Of course I still use a spectacular soap and a favourite brush.  And, witch hazel and moisturizer afterward.

1 665