07-27-2020, 05:12 AM
User Info
Trying to decide on purchasing one of these razors . Between Timeless . 68. Barber pole smooth cap , solid bar, polished or ATT Windsor polished ssr1 with Atlas handle . Anyone have any thoughts on these two ? Thanks

0 4
 07-27-2020, 05:16 AM
User Info
ymmv - are you seeking mild or aggressive?
I have a Timeless .68 and love it. I like a "little less than aggressive" shave and Timeless .68 delivers.
Never owned an ATT Windsor but have owned a number of ATT razors. Great product.

65 1,937
 07-28-2020, 04:00 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have the classic ATT M2 and a Timeless 95 OC.  I think the Timeless is smoother, but both are good razors.  I have not tried the Windsor, so I can't comment on it, but it covers the blade tabs, which is a deal breaker for me.  I had a polished ATT Atlas handle and the finish on it was flawless.  I would think that the polished Windsor head would be of similar quality.

3 727
 07-28-2020, 07:17 AM
User Info
Depends how much stock you put in blade support/rigidity. The ATT razors aren't designed to hold the blade like the Timeless does. However they do have smaller profile heads.

0 6
 07-28-2020, 07:50 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-28-2020, 04:00 AM)DayMan Wrote: I have the classic ATT M2 and a Timeless 95 OC.  I think the Timeless is smoother, but both are good razors.  I have not tried the Windsor, so I can't comment on it, but it covers the blade tabs, which is a deal breaker for me.  I had a polished ATT Atlas handle and the finish on it was flawless.  I would think that the polished Windsor head would be of similar quality.

Interesting. What is it about the covered tabs you don’t like? I appreciate not scraping the sensitive areas near my nostrils and ear lobes. Conversely, I can see folks taking issue with blade removal. This hasn’t been a problem for me, but it seems like it could be bothersome.

19 4,440
 07-28-2020, 08:27 PM
User Info
Timeless razors compares to the top razors. Not many DE razors hold the blade as rigid as a Timeless razor. The 68mm blade gap is perfect for a daily driver too.

19 285
 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I think that the Timeless .68 is milder than the ATT Windsor R1.

125 1,896
 07-29-2020, 03:08 PM
User Info
I have the Timeless .68 OC as a daily driver and the .95 dual Comb when I skip a day or 2. I had the Copper Windsor in R & H plate, it was a beautiful razor but the Timeless beat it out and I sold the Windsor.  I did find the Windsor smoother than the original ATT design.

34 665
 07-29-2020, 03:27 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(07-28-2020, 07:50 AM)chazt Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 04:00 AM)DayMan Wrote: I have the classic ATT M2 and a Timeless 95 OC.  I think the Timeless is smoother, but both are good razors.  I have not tried the Windsor, so I can't comment on it, but it covers the blade tabs, which is a deal breaker for me.  I had a polished ATT Atlas handle and the finish on it was flawless.  I would think that the polished Windsor head would be of similar quality.

Interesting. What is it about the covered tabs you don’t like? I appreciate not scraping the sensitive areas near my nostrils and ear lobes. Conversely, I can see folks taking issue with blade removal. This hasn’t been a problem for me, but it seems like it could be bothersome.

I just don't like the increased width of the head.  I have also had trouble removing the blade if it's wet.  I also think it's easier to load the blade with the tabs exposed.  I can see the benefit of the tabs being covered for head shavers, but I don't see any advantages for face shaving.

3 727
 07-29-2020, 06:28 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Takes a real dummy to cut themself with a blade tab - they are not sharpened.  I've used DE's since Ike was President, never once got a nick from a blade end, though I've leaked after many other shaving mishaps.   But to cover those "dangerous projections" weight and width is necessarily added to the razor, to a bad effect at trimming and general handling .. and in some razors blade removal is difficult - Razorocks are especially fiddly in that regard, I've a RR Slant that requires a toothpick to pry out a blade Sad 

Used to be ATT offered 30 day returns, if the new operator (Stan's son in law if I recall) still does, try the ATT R1, not Windsor first.  The guys at Timeless may have the same return policy, I just dinna recall now

72 720
 07-29-2020, 07:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, I agree it’d take concerted effort to actually nick oneself with an exposed blade tab. Having them covered is a modern convenience, so to speak. Frankly, there’s less twisting and pulling on the old honker with unexposed tabs Biggrin

19 4,440
 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM
User Info
(07-29-2020, 07:34 PM)chazt Wrote: Yes, I agree it’d take concerted effort to actually nick oneself with an exposed blade tab. Having them covered is a modern convenience, so to speak. Frankly, there’s less twisting and pulling on the old honker with unexposed tabs Biggrin

My problem is that if the head is big enough to cover the tabs I have some difficulty getting close enough to the old honker.  I have had the misfortune to nick it in the attempt, and a nicked honker is a tragedy of unimaginable proportions.

0 13