09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250565.JPG?m=1348941002]

Is there such thing like a "perfect" brush? Well , I think that the definition of "perfect brush" would vary from person to person , depending of the likes/dislikes we all have.

This brush could be consider a "perfect" brush for me and I now understand why Yohann (is the lucky onwer of this brush) considers this like his "Holy Grail" of shaving brushes.

As you know , I have tried some Plisson HMW badger hair brushes is the last few weeks : one of them was a vintage 12 , which has a very nice HMW (or maybe EW) hair but this one is even better...

[Image: P1250566.JPG?m=1348941003]

This is a very well made brush indeed , with a horn handle , which has such a nice hold and its simply beautifully made.This brush is a little bit heavier than another Plisson 14 HMW badger horn handle brush which I tried in the past.In fact , this vintage brush and the new one are very different in many ways , being the vintage one a much better , but much much better brush , all around.

The tips of this brush are extra white , and extra soft : I didnt experienced that at all with the Plisson 14 horn handle brush which I tried in the past.No even close , since the current 14 horn handle HMW has scritchy tips (very scritchy almost , I would say) and its basically impossible to use it on the face with circular strokes ,unless you want to suffer some skin rash/irritation.This ones is the other way around , such a pleasure to use ,due to the extra soft tips and the perfect ,and I woud say it again ,perfect amount of natural hair flexibility (flow) and backbone firmness.

Well , if you think about this , makes sense : this brush Im sure is made with 100% European badger hair (Meles Meles) harvested in Europe , while the new ones are made with Meles Meles from China , but arent the same , as Im discovering.Sorry , but I must say that vintage Plissons are better than current Plissons.Period.The European badger hair (the real one) is a much better kind ,and this is a fine example of that.

[Image: P1250567.JPG?m=1348941004]

What is not to like about this brush , I wonder? I dont know what to say.That maybe is not under current production , I could answer.

Seriously , this is a fine example of how things were done in the past and how new things arent always as good.It even raises me the question : are current Plisson brushes not as well made as the old ones?.

Im just not only focusing in the badger hair quality , but the horn handle style and quality.The current 14 horn handle is not as good , not even has the same "feeling" than this one and its much a bigger brush than this too.

The hair density is also perfect and I could compare it with some of the Vie Long two band brushes with 23 mm knots :

[Image: P1250568.JPG?m=1348941050]

This badger brush puts to shame the current 3 band HMW hair but its also much better than the current "Manchurian badger" hair.If I pay over 300 dollars on a brush , I would expect something like this , a brush with extra soft tips , and good backbone and flow.Also white tips , not "yellowish" ones.

I have tested the brush with soaps and creams as I always do , and what do you want me to tell you?Performs brilliant with both,specially with triple milled soaps ,making a creamy ,dense lather in no time and ,of course , not being a lather hog , but releasing the lather very efficiently.

Even when it has a bulb shaped knot , could be use with circular strokes , due to the extra softness of the tips.Thats something I wouldnt do with a current production 14 HMW , trust me.

Here is a pic with a Plisson 6 HMW horn handle (Yohhan is also its lucky owner) :

[Image: P1250569.JPG?m=1348942787]

The Plisson 6 feels like this one , but with a shorter loft and less amount of hair.

Trying this brush reminds me of a song lyric from The Smiths : "It just wasn't like the old days anymore , No, it wasn't like those days"...

Im afraid that current production Plisson are simply a shadow of what they used to be.This brush is a clear example of that.Does it means that old things used to be better?Well , many of them were , from shaving soaps and creams , to certain kind of brushes.

This brush is pure luxury at it finest , Plisson used to make such great brushes.

Yohann , you have a Holy Grail for sure ,my friend.Maybe I should ask you a "rescue" fee to send it back to you! TongueTongue

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Teiste, nice review. I could not of said it better. I can tell you what there is to not like about this brush, it belongs to Yohann instead of me.

I used the brush three times before I sent it on to you (fast shipping by the way as I mailed it on Thursday) and thought I had died and gone to brush heaven.

If Plisson could duplicate "that brush", I would buy one.

173 23,486
 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Excellent review Teiste!
What would be the price tag on that brush made today? Do you think the extra softness also has something to do with how many times this brush was lathered?

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 12:34 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Teiste,

This is a tad off topic, but being a fan of scritchy brushes, do you think I would enjoy the new HMW? I am a huge fan of the Rooney Finest, so I really enjoy scrubbiness. Was the example you tried a 3 band or 2 band?

9 541
 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-29-2012, 12:34 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Teiste,

This is a tad off topic, but being a fan of scritchy brushes, do you think I would enjoy the new HMW? I am a huge fan of the Rooney Finest, so I really enjoy scrubbiness. Was the example you tried a 3 band or 2 band?

Yes, you would enjoy the new 3 band HMW Plisson for sure.The one that I tried was a 3 band with a loft over 60 mm.

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-29-2012, 11:55 AM)Johnny Wrote: Teiste, nice review. I could not of said it better. I can tell you what there is to not like about this brush, it belongs to Yohann instead of me.

I used the brush three times before I sent it on to you (fast shipping by the way as I mailed it on Thursday) and thought I had died and gone to brush heaven.

If Plisson could duplicate "that brush", I would buy one.

Me too.Amazing brush.Period.

(09-29-2012, 11:59 AM)beartrap Wrote: Excellent review Teiste!
What would be the price tag on that brush made today? Do you think the extra softness also has something to do with how many times this brush was lathered?

Price tag?Over 350 bucks.
I dont think so : this is the quality of this badger hair.

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(09-29-2012, 12:45 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-29-2012, 11:59 AM)beartrap Wrote: Do you think the extra softness also has something to do with how many times this brush was lathered?

I have a small vintage badger brush with brown hair. It looks like a low end brush from its time. But the hair is unbelievable soft. Makes my Vuulfix Super seem scritchy in comparison. Based on the hair color, there is no way it could have been so soft from the start. I think many years of use do actually soften up the tips. Or at least from what I've experienced there may be some plausibility to that.

(09-29-2012, 12:43 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Yes, you would enjoy the new 3 band HMW Plisson for sure.The one that I tried was a 3 band with a loft over 60 mm.

Thanks Teiste! I tend to shy away from brushes with such large softs, but maybe there is something to the hair after all

9 541
 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-29-2012, 12:50 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:
(09-29-2012, 12:45 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-29-2012, 11:59 AM)beartrap Wrote: Do you think the extra softness also has something to do with how many times this brush was lathered?

I have a small vintage badger brush with brown hair. It looks like a low end brush from its time. But the hair is unbelievable soft. Makes my Vuulfix Super seem scritchy in comparison. Based on the hair color, there is no way it could have been so soft from the start. I think many years of use do actually soften up the tips. Or at least from what I've experienced there may be some plausibility to that.

(09-29-2012, 12:43 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Thanks Teiste! I tend to shy away from brushes with such large softs, but maybe there is something to the hair after all

For sure : with over 60 mm of loft , the natural firmess of the hair is quiet peculiar an impressive.However,the tips are quiet scritchy for my taste.

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Stunning brushes.

30 275
 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a beautiful brush! Thanks, Teiste!

75 20,883
 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM
User Info
Glad you liked the brush, Teiste (and Johnny). It's unfortunate that Plisson hair quality has slipped as much as it has. None of my new Plissons matched this pair of brushes. And their price still remains high. Oh well!

37 1,731
 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-07-2012, 03:46 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Glad you liked the brush, Teiste (and Johnny). It's unfortunate that Plisson hair quality has slipped as much as it has. None of my new Plissons matched this pair of brushes. And their price still remains high. Oh well!

Yohann , thanks for the chance to try this magnificent brush and Ill send you my bank account for you to deposit some money if you want to see this beauty (and its little brother ) again...BiggrinBiggrin

Seriously , now I understand whats is the real European badger hair fuss all about.Those two brushes explains it all.Superior to the current Chinese badger hair.

86 7,123
 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
User Info
Teiste, after reading this review if the vintage HMW, I now see what you mean when you compare the WSP silvertip to the old Plisson. Now I am really excited to receive mine.

63 2,128
 11-20-2012, 03:29 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Dare I say (in this thread) that I much prefer boar, but my reason for posting is to say how much I LOVE the patina the horn handle has taken.

I love things that have aged and can tell a story of places and people I may never know and that handle tells a great story.

33 914