07-27-2020, 04:38 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
A few weeks ago I received a custom made Gaslamp from Aldo at Varlet brush company. The knot has the High Density Traditional knot with the higher loft. Namely, 29mm x53mm. This brush was designed to offer a softer tip with a bit less backbone and better flow through than the other offered knots. The new design works and works well. I knew this brush was a keeper and would probably be added to my favorites after only a few shaves. However, I held off writing a review because of one problem. Namely, after the first shave the brush shed about 18 hairs. I informed Aldo of the seeming problem and he assured me the shedding would soon stop. I continued shaving with the brush, on average of every 2 days for a total of eight shaves. The shedding continued with decreasing number of shedded hairs until the eigth shave and then stopped shedding completely. Aldo was right.
As previously stated the new design allows for a softer shave, with less soap retention on the brushes part resulting in a much more luxurious feeling shave. Immediately, out of the box the brush lathered beautifully and gave up it's lather generously. The tips of the brush were as soft as a Kent or a Plisson HMW only, with more backbone . The Back bone is similar to a Paladin but slightly softer. I believe the shedding problem was temporary and will not occur again. As usual Aldo has hit it out of the park again.

Attached Files Image(s)

109 1,283
 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM
User Info
nice review!  im waiting on my turn on the list.  Do you have any pics of the knot from the top?   im still undecided if I should go 29mm Regular (current config) or to go XD

0 68
 07-27-2020, 06:14 PM
User Info
(07-27-2020, 05:52 PM)heribertomaya Wrote: nice review!  im waiting on my turn on the list.  Do you have any pics of the knot from the top?   im still undecided if I should go 29mm Regular (current config) or to go XD

What is the difference in Xd vs regular?

31 470
 07-27-2020, 06:44 PM
User Info
(07-27-2020, 06:14 PM)SimpleShave17 Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 05:52 PM)heribertomaya Wrote: nice review!  im waiting on my turn on the list.  Do you have any pics of the knot from the top?   im still undecided if I should go 29mm Regular (current config) or to go XD

What is the difference in Xd vs regular?

XD is more dense and has lower loft (both attributes increasing backbone vs normal varlet knot.)

0 68
 07-28-2020, 07:29 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(07-27-2020, 04:38 PM)Barrylu Wrote: A few weeks ago I received a custom made Gaslamp from Aldo at Varlet brush company. The knot has the High Density Traditional knot with the higher loft. Namely, 29mm x53mm. This brush was designed to offer a softer tip with a bit less backbone and better flow through than the other offered knots. The new design works and works well. I knew this brush was a keeper and would probably be added to my favorites after only a few shaves. However, I held off writing a review because of one problem. Namely, after the first shave the brush shed about 18 hairs. I informed Aldo of the seeming problem and he assured me the shedding would soon stop. I continued shaving with the brush, on average of every 2 days for a total of eight shaves. The shedding continued with decreasing number of shedded hairs until the eigth shave and then stopped shedding completely. Aldo was right.

Interestingly, my new Ranger shed 15-20 hairs on the first usage.  Then, zero on the second, and zero on the third.

My new Beehive hasn't shed any on the 2 usages.

1 665
 07-28-2020, 08:09 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
[quote='heribertomaya' pid='957204' dateline='1595901150']
nice review!  im waiting on my turn on the list.  Do you have any pics of the knot from the top?   im still undecided if I should go 29mm Regular (current config) or to go XD

Sure

Attached Files Image(s)

109 1,283
 07-28-2020, 08:34 AM
User Info
(07-28-2020, 08:09 AM)Barrylu Wrote:

Sure
thanks!

0 68
 07-28-2020, 12:06 PM
User Info
Good review, thanks for sharing Smile

3 7,255