07-31-2020, 10:50 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I was tempted to move this old Tech on, but figured wth, why not try a shim?
[Image: EMUnxDt.jpg]
My first shimmed razor. What took me so long?

Made me think of this video. Cool photography.

19 4,446
 07-31-2020, 12:04 PM
User Info
I shim my Old Type all the time. How were your results, Charlie?

83 6,302
 07-31-2020, 12:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-31-2020, 12:04 PM)primotenore Wrote: I shim my Old Type all the time. How were your results, Charlie?

It was a close and comfortable shave, Joseph. Very efficient. Using the shim turned my least favorite Tech, which was previously on the expendable list, to a keeper-after-all.

19 4,446
 07-31-2020, 02:09 PM
  • tonich
  • BC, Canada
User Info
I have never done it any of my razors. Simply didn't feel the need.

0 14
 07-31-2020, 02:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-31-2020, 02:09 PM)tonich Wrote: I have never done it any of my razors. Simply didn't feel the need.

Yes, I understand. Today was my first time Biggrin

I’ve been on the fence with this particular razor. It’s been difficult to get results comparable to my other Techs, i.e., irritation-free. So, yesterday I was cruising old TSN posts from the early days and stumbled upon a thread discussing the merits of shimming old Gillettes, etc. http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...light=Shim

In the last few months I have experimented with aspects of my shaves that I’d previously thought were set in stone. For instance, now I’m using scented soaps and aftershaves for nearly every shave. Until very recently I was an unscented shaver ~95% of the time. So like I said, I figured wth, lemme shim this puppy. And whaddya know? It improved the razor’s performance remarkably. I guess my point is, I’m rethinking my shaves and am being rewarded with trying new things. I am not a dinosaur!

19 4,446
 07-31-2020, 06:49 PM
User Info
(07-31-2020, 12:08 PM)chazt Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:04 PM)primotenore Wrote: I shim my Old Type all the time. How were your results, Charlie?

It was a close and comfortable shave, Joseph. Using the shim turned my least favorite Tech, which was previously on the expendable list, to a keeper-after-all.
Excellent. My logic, right or wrong, was, and I'll just use my 1908 Single Ring as an example, this razor was manufactured with the MUCH thicker blades in mind. (Carbon, maybe). I think the shim brings the gap closer to what our grandfathers or even great grandfathers would have experienced. 

83 6,302
 07-31-2020, 07:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(07-31-2020, 06:49 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:08 PM)chazt Wrote:

It was a close and comfortable shave, Joseph. Using the shim turned my least favorite Tech, which was previously on the expendable list, to a keeper-after-all.
Excellent. My logic, right or wrong, was, and I'll just use my 1908 Single Ring as an example, this razor was manufactured with the MUCH thicker blades in mind. (Carbon, maybe). I think the shim brings the gap closer to what our grandfathers or even great grandfathers would have experienced. 

This is an interesting concept. It seems like a no-brainer to try it on all my vintage razors. I’ll bet a shim will turbocharge my NEW long comb!

I’m getting all goose bumpy...

19 4,446
 08-01-2020, 03:07 AM
User Info
(07-31-2020, 07:38 PM)chazt Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 06:49 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 12:08 PM)chazt Wrote: It was a close and comfortable shave, Joseph. Using the shim turned my least favorite Tech, which was previously on the expendable list, to a keeper-after-all.

This is an interesting concept. It seems like a no-brainer to try it on all my vintage razors. I’ll bet a shim will turbocharge my NEW long comb!

I’m getting all goose bumpy...
Biggrin

83 6,302
 08-16-2020, 02:53 PM
User Info
I'm glad I saw this thread. Having recently gone back to head shaving and letting my beard grow, I've been going through my razors and a few blades trying to find the sweet spot.
I've thought about doing this several times but never got around to trying it. Today I shimmed my thin cap old type, and am mightily impressed.
Smooth and clean with each stroke, no drama, and no big burn with the alum block. The blade was a Med Prep, shimmed with a Lab Blue, although I can see this being a benefit with several of my other blades. 
 Thanks to all for the reminder and the nudge, it's definitely an improvement for me.

0 65
 08-17-2020, 04:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-16-2020, 02:53 PM)Uncas Wrote: I'm glad I saw this thread. Having recently gone back to head shaving and letting my beard grow, I've been going through my razors and a few blades trying to find the sweet spot.
I've thought about doing this several times but never got around to trying it. Today I shimmed my thin cap old type, and am mightily impressed.
Smooth and clean with each stroke, no drama, and no big burn with the alum block. The blade was a Med Prep, shimmed with a Lab Blue, although I can see this being a benefit with several of my other blades. 
 Thanks to all for the reminder and the nudge, it's definitely an improvement for me.

Bill, it’s good to try something new every once in a while. We get into ruts so easily. Enjoy your shaves Smile

19 4,446
 08-22-2020, 08:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Update;

Shims have been working really well for me across the board in my Techs and Star DE. It’s been a revelation. I’ll absolutely continue to do this with those razors.

OTOH, I found it didn’t work well for me in my black oxide Evolution. Had a rough shave there. I think the Evolution is pretty much near perfect without such modification. Big love for the Evo! Also noted, a rougher shave than I expected from the New long comb. I’ll try again when I have a few days’ growth.

Maybe I’ll try shimming a TTO next.

19 4,446
 08-22-2020, 08:24 PM
User Info
(07-31-2020, 10:50 AM)chazt Wrote: I was tempted to move this old Tech on, but figured wth, why not try a shim?
[Image: EMUnxDt.jpg]
My first shimmed razor. What took me so long?

Made me think of this video. Cool photography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLjZRAXRRA
I'm going to give that a shot on the Tech I got from you sometime soon. I had my first shave with it and it was a great shave. The razor is a little lighter than I'm used to but I like it.

1 99
 08-23-2020, 07:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I knew you’d like it, Mike. Gillette could have stopped designing razors with that model as far as I’m concerned.

19 4,446