08-02-2020, 12:02 PM
User Info
I had 2 shaving brushes that I don't use because I don't like the knots. Today, I removed the knots from brushes. I would like to install new knots in theses handles, but this will be the first time I will be installing knots and would like some help selecting the correct knot size for these 2 handles. The opening on one is 23 mm and the opening on the other is 25 mm. What size knot should I buy for these 2 brushes? It is matters, I will be buying synthetic knots. Also, please recommend an appropriate epoxy to use for installation and feel free to give any relevant advice.

0 146
 08-02-2020, 01:06 PM
User Info
I thought the standard was that you want a 2mm smaller knot plug for a handle opening. I don't think that is the rule but sometimes the density of the knot or how it was assembled, that you may be able to get away with a socket size that is the same mm for each. I'm not sure if that helps but maybe you can look at a 22mm knot and a 24mm for your handles.

87 1,797
 08-02-2020, 01:24 PM
User Info
Loft will also be a consideration. Silicone works fine for the adhesive and can be removed if needed.

2 85
 08-02-2020, 03:50 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Depends on the vendor. Some vendors advertise plug size. In this case the opening would need to be 1-2mm larger.

Other vendors advertise the size of the opening needed.

Best bet is to contact the vendor or read the description carefully to see which knot size to order.

109 2,202
 08-03-2020, 06:10 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(08-02-2020, 03:50 PM)Gabe Wrote: Depends on the vendor. Some vendors advertise plug size. In this case the opening would need to be 1-2mm larger.

Other vendors advertise the size of the opening needed.

Best bet is to contact the vendor or read the description carefully to see which knot size to order.

+1

4 1,056
 08-08-2020, 08:31 AM
User Info
Synthetics aren't as vendor-specific as badgers.  The handle depth plays just as big of a role.  If you like high loft (softer feel) then get 22 and 24mm knots.  If you need to, you can use spacers to get them to the right height.  If you like scrub/backbone and your handle is deep enough to allow for it, then go with 20 and 22mm knots and set them deeper.  Synthetic knots are inexpensive, so you may want to pick up a 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm so you can experiment.

You can use silicone to set them if you think you might want to replace them later.  I've seen a lot of people use the GE clear marine-grade stuff.  I just use 2-part epoxy.  Any brand will do.

1 323