09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a tin of Jabonman Coconut from Amir, which arrived today. Like with all soaps I get, I wanted to give it a test lather to get an idea of the water/soap ratio and how the lather seems to fair. Well, I pulled out my Semogue 2030b since it needed some more break-in time and went at it. I loaded with a brush that had soaked for a few minutes, then shaken free of excess water, then loaded for 15 or so seconds. I was confused at first, the Jabonman seemed to only be making a wet, thin lather, which seemed opposite of all the high reviews I've read of it. Well, I kept it up, hand lathering for a good 30 seconds with nothing really happening. But then...

BOOM

It just exploded in lather. And not just any lather, this stuff was thick and super slick and seemed to just come from nowhere! On top of that I could really feel how moisturizing it was on my hand (plus it smelled fantastic!) I am quite excited about this purchase and can't wait to use it. I plan on having my first straight razor shave tomorrow, so I might stick to a soap I know well so as to not switch up my routine too much, but this coming week as I use my trusty DEs will be a great one for certain! The Jabonman soaps my be the final kick in the pants for some of the widely distributed mass-processed soaps I own in my seemingly unavoidable transfer to all-artisan soaps.

And because we all like pictures, here is my awkward, one handed picture of loads of lather both on my hand and on the brush.

[Image: SOIdtl.jpg]

35 1,732
 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Very similar experience and review with this soap. Excellent performance!
Wish our review section would be up already (winking at Andrew) Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
"...smelled fantastic..." of what? What is the scent? Are there more than one? Edit: got so excited I failed to see that it was coconut! Second question remains; are other scents produced?

3 543
 09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Many many scents, search for it as I don't remember exactly where I read the list. He doesn't have a website yet.

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
Of course there are!

JabonMan soaps are top notch, no doubt about it Cool

2 5,532
 09-29-2012, 04:30 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I PM'd him asking about purchasing another couple of tins and for a list of available scents. I remember reading some quite exotic sounding ones.

35 1,732
 09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(09-29-2012, 04:30 PM)Tonality Wrote: I PM'd him asking about purchasing another couple of tins and for a list of available scents. I remember reading some quite exotic sounding ones.

Here is what he sent me about a month ago. He used a translator so some descriptions might be confusing. The one that confused me was the Marseille, it just says "very soft". I'm interested in knowing what the notes are used to make it. I emailed him and am awaiting a response. Hope this helps.

Without lanolin:

- Lavender
- Tea Tree
- Lilas-Sandalwood
- Ylang Ylang, Patchouli-Orange ................ (manufactured, usable on September 27)
- Vetiver-Tangerine-Litsea Cubeba
- Haitian Vetiver ....................................... (essentially very expensive, this is worth 12 euros)

With little lanolin (pharmaceutical grade)

- Wet Earth ............................................... (blend of vetiver. Sold, next manufacturing)
- Marseille Soap ........................................ ( very soft)
- Violet

With more lanolin:

- Lavender-Bergamot Cypress-................... (exhausted, next manufacturing)
- Eastern Breeze ..................................... (myrrh-nail-cardamom)
- Eucalyptus-Mint-Tea Tree Pine-.............. (slightly minty, more lanolin)
- Coco
- Roses
- Lima-Pepper ........................................ (mint)
- Lima-Canela ........................................ (manufactured, usable on September 29)

10 1,120
 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM
User Info
Anthony, thanks for sharing. Jabonman is a fantastic soap!

75 20,883
 09-29-2012, 06:21 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Michael, thank you! There are so many fascinating and intriguing scents listed! I don't know how I could choose just a couple.

35 1,732
 09-29-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
These sound amazing.

Great review and a fine pic (one handed and all)

We sure are lucky with all the choices from all these fine artisan soap makers. From QCS to MW to Jabonman and everyone in between.

8 2,718
 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
(09-29-2012, 06:31 PM)Bruce Wrote: These sound amazing.

Great review and a fine pic (one handed and all)

We sure are lucky with all the choices from all these fine artisan soap makers. From QCS to MW to Jabonman and everyone in between.

How true this is, Bruce. We have so many amazing artisan soaps out there, right now.

75 20,883
 09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
I find the artisan soaps to be better than any other soaps/creams around.

10 1,120
 09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
User Info
Anthony, want to thank you very much for showing the lather on your hand. Too many times all I see is lather piled up on top of a brush, which tells me little about its qualities.

3 543
 09-29-2012, 06:44 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(09-29-2012, 06:43 PM)john parker Wrote: Anthony, want to thank you very much for showing the lather on your hand. Too many times all I see is lather piled up on top of a brush, which tells me little about its qualities.

+1 -- and that lather looks SENSATIONAL!

11 366
 09-29-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
I see that Jabonman speaks to no lanolin, some lanolin and still more lanolin. How does this impact the quality of the lather and post-shave face feeling? Any thoughts?

3 543
 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have a small container of the Ylang Ylang, Patchouli-Orange and really like it.

173 23,540
 09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
We have great artisans in Spain : Rafael (UFO) , EL Druida (javier) and Jabonman (Manuel).

When Jaboman started in foroafeitado over a year ago , he wanted to created a great shaving soap and he didnt stop until he found the perfect formulations.He truly is making SUPERB artisan soaps , like Calani.For me , Jabonman and Calani are the best European artisan soap makers right now.

Yes,his soaps are worth to try it.I dont know what else I can say.

86 7,123
 10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
(09-29-2012, 10:09 PM)Teiste Wrote: We have great artisans in Spain : Rafael (UFO) , EL Druida (javier) and Jabonman (Manuel).

When Jaboman started in foroafeitado over a year ago , he wanted to created a great shaving soap and he didnt stop until he found the perfect formulations.He truly is making SUPERB artisan soaps , like Calani.For me , Jabonman and Calani are the best European artisan soap makers right now.

I agree. These are two of the best around right now. I might add Mike's to the list of great soaps, though that's not European.

2 496
 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-03-2012, 03:08 PM)UngerWoo Wrote:
(09-29-2012, 10:09 PM)Teiste Wrote: We have great artisans in Spain : Rafael (UFO) , EL Druida (javier) and Jabonman (Manuel).

I agree. These are two of the best around right now. I might add Mike's to the list of great soaps, though that's not European.

Welcome , sir!

86 7,123
 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
where can one buy some of this soap?

40 5,830