08-07-2020, 12:32 PM
User Info
Hello. I’ve had a few cheap safety (double edged blade jobbys) razors from the super Market what can you say about foil shaver, like this. Love them but they don’t last forever and people want to buy prezzies this time of year.

So, three piece like my cheap one. Or butterfly, tempted but is the head a bit bulky on these designs?
Appreciate any advice, it’s a bewildering array of choice!

0 2
 08-07-2020, 01:43 PM
User Info
Get yourself a Tech razor by Gillette. These are not expensive. 

1 537
 08-07-2020, 03:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-07-2020, 01:43 PM)duck creek Wrote: Get yourself a Tech razor by Gillette. These are not expensive. 

Signs011

19 4,438
 08-07-2020, 05:47 PM
User Info
Just my two cents. The Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome or the Rockwell 2C are both great razors around the $30 point. I own both. They are both 3 piece razors though the Rockwell is adjustable in that you can flip the plate from a #1 to #3 from mild to a medium "aggressiveness". I own both and use them regularly. If you wanted to spend a tad more, around $40, the Merkur 34C is a very popular razor. I own 3 Merkurs and they are all great. The 34C is a 2 piece if that is important to you.

1 86
 08-09-2020, 02:57 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
If you are thinking a vintage Tech, consider a gillette travel razor. Often fathers day or xmas gifts that got a chuckle due to the tiny handle and put in the back of the drawer. Often they are pristine heads that shave mild and efficiently. the little handle actually works fine but just about any razor handle will work. Oh did I mention that they are typically inexpensive,

0 474
 08-13-2020, 11:41 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
The difference in geometry between your average 3 piece and butterfly style razors isn’t enough to notice after a couple shaves. There are sure to be individual outliers that take a bit more effort to figure out, but don’t let the blade retention style limit your choices. If you’re after gift suggestions for yourself, pretty much any option from any well known brand is going to be a winner, so focus on whatever looks good to your eye. I think a part of our subjective reports of razors’ performance does come down, in some degree, to the attributes which shouldn’t make any difference, like handle color and things like that, so go with what looks nice. If the gifts are for you to give to someone else, well the same advice applies but factor in what they think looks nice... and what leaves you with enough cash left to pick yourself something as well Wink

1 98
 08-14-2020, 05:08 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Imo, the head profile of the average three piece razor is slimmer, rendering it “easier” to use in certain areas of facial topography, i.e., under the nose and near the sideburns.

19 4,438
 08-14-2020, 05:39 AM
User Info
If you're looking for a budget friendly option, why not go vintage? The Tech have been mentioned, but there are so many other fun razors to try for pennies to the pound. The Old, the New, various SuperSpeeds, a Slim...

3 7,255
 08-14-2020, 08:06 AM
User Info
(08-07-2020, 05:47 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: Just my two cents. The Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome or the Rockwell 2C are both great razors around the $30 point. I own both. They are both 3 piece razors though the Rockwell is adjustable in that you can flip the plate from a #1 to #3 from mild to a medium "aggressiveness". I own both and use them regularly. If you wanted to spend a tad more, around $40, the Merkur 34C is a very popular razor. I own 3 Merkurs and they are all great. The 34C is a 2 piece if that is important to you.

These two Signs011 are what I started with and both worked great and helped me learn technique.

0 42
 08-14-2020, 10:44 AM
User Info
(08-14-2020, 08:06 AM)Sprgrey Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 05:47 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: Just my two cents. The Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome or the Rockwell 2C are both great razors around the $30 point. I own both. They are both 3 piece razors though the Rockwell is adjustable in that you can flip the plate from a #1 to #3 from mild to a medium "aggressiveness". I own both and use them regularly. If you wanted to spend a tad more, around $40, the Merkur 34C is a very popular razor. I own 3 Merkurs and they are all great. The 34C is a 2 piece if that is important to you.

These two Signs011 are what I started with and both worked great and helped me learn technique.

I agree. I have both (EJ and the 6C)and still use them regularly. I just bought my third Edwin Jagger, got it yesterday.  I think I had jumped the gun when I started and bought the Merkur 38C. Big and heavy but I still love it.

1 86
 08-22-2020, 05:15 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'd recommend a vintage razor. Modern ones that perform as well as an in shape vintage cost quite a bit more,  in my experience,  and I use both three piece and butterfly models with equal  great results.

8 2,829