08-08-2020, 06:21 AM
User Info
Hello all,
I'm a newbie and just joined today but I have read many posts for the past few months. Great site and thank to all who have posted helpful topics.

Although I been head and face shaving for 40 years I bought a Feather DX 2 months ago and use Pro guard blades and shocked how easy and good a shave I'm getting. What a beautiful way to do what a dreaded for so many years.

I have a lake home I visit on weekends so I don't want to travel with brushes or razors. It's easier to leave a complete set of everything at both places.
After all the reading here I decided or should I say my wife decided just get the best and since I have only 50 dollars invested In one art of shaving brush I can just get the best ones and be done.

I'm in my 60's and if I were younger I would start mid range and go up but at my age I can finally afford the best and my wife ordered me 2 Simpson's Chubby 2 Manchurian in ivory and tortoise. ( I love that woman)

My question is I need 2 more because of second home. Should I buy 2 more chubby 2 Manchurian and always have the same shave with one of the best brushes made or would having a different size and quality make me like or diss like one of the brushes more ?
My thought is if you only have one type you have no choice but to make it work and since you know only that brush you'll get better at using it than switching styles cause of a chubby3 being big or a chubby 1 being small ?

Hope what I said makes sense and I appreciate your help. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture of the two that are coming from a iPhone but so far no luck.
Thank you and if Mark from Simpson reads this Anna was a great help !

0 12
 08-08-2020, 07:13 AM
User Info
[Image: e313ed71873f40b13dd394481d8b0f83.jpg]
Ok I figured out how to add picture. These are the 2 that are on their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 12
 08-08-2020, 07:42 AM
User Info
nice purchases!

0 68
 08-08-2020, 07:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Fredjames. You’re a very fortunate man in many ways.

If you’re only going to get two more brushes and never another, I’d suggest a pair of 3 bands, not necessarily from the Chubby line. You’d then be able to choose between the two varieties as your mood dictates. There are so many options related to handle, knot, maker options. Take some time going forward. Make an informed and well-considered decision. Of course, you could just forge ahead and stay with the Chubby theme. Nothing wrong with that either. The downside is that you might get bored after a while and develop a bit of a roving eye.

Based upon your stated case history and recent additions you are demonstrating symptoms of SBAD, Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder. There is little chance for a complete recovery. You will of course adapt and learn to live with the condition. Good luck, Sir and welcome to the enablehood.

19 4,412
 08-08-2020, 07:43 AM
User Info
Welcome Fred,   

Very nice start to what I have a feeling will become a very large and nice collection.  Since you already have the Chubby 2, I would consider adding a Chubby 3.  There are many other great brush makers you should check out as well, like Brad Sears/Morris & Forndran, Paladin, and Shavemac  I am sure you will receive many other great recommendations from others too.  Be careful, this can become a very expensive hobby.  Before you know it, you can end up with dozens of brushes costing thousands of dollars.   

Good Luck!!

59 308
 08-08-2020, 07:55 AM
User Info
(08-08-2020, 07:42 AM)chazt Wrote: Welcome to TSN, Fredjames. You’re a very fortunate man in many ways.

If you’re only going to get two more brushes and never another, I’d suggest a pair of 3 bands, not necessarily from the Chubby line. You’d then be able to choose between the two varieties as your mood dictates. There are so many options related to handle, knot, maker options. Take some time going forward. Make an informed and well-considered decision. Of course, you could just forge ahead and stay with the Chubby theme. Nothing wrong with that either. The downside is that you might get bored after a while and develop a bit of a roving eye.

Based upon your stated case history and recent additions you are demonstrating symptoms of SBAD, Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder. There is little chance for a complete recovery. You will of course adapt and learn to live with the condition. Good luck, Sir and welcome to the enablehood.

Hello Charlie.
SBAD ha ha that's funny. Since I'm a virgin to this will I one day say OMG the Manchurian is so much better why did I spend it on the 3 band when I could of been so close to 2 more of what I poke more or could it go the other way and I say OMG why did I spend so much on Manchurian when 3 band is better ?
Im retiring in a few months and this will be my new job ha ha Where I'm at a 3 band cost 200 is dollars and a Manchurian on sale like the faux horn one comes out to about 260-280 US dollars. To me that does not seem like a lot more for the best. Unless the 3 band is better on my face and pocket book.

I'm only going off what I've read here.

Thank and great meeting you Charlie

0 12
 08-08-2020, 08:00 AM
User Info
(08-08-2020, 07:43 AM)petropn Wrote: Welcome Fred,   

Very nice start to what I have a feeling will become a very large and nice collection.  Since you already have the Chubby 2, I would consider adding a Chubby 3.  There are many other great brush makers you should check out as well, like Brad Sears/Morris & Forndran, Paladin, and Shavemac  I am sure you will receive many other great recommendations from others too.  Be careful, this can become a very expensive hobby.  Before you know it, you can end up with dozens of brushes costing thousands of dollars.   

Good Luck!!

Hello Petropn
I see how it could add up. The razor was super easy decision but I never realized brushes would be the money cow.
I need 2 for drying reasons as others mention in forums chats and I shave every other day for the most part. I thought of a 3 and was curious if I might say it's too big and then I'm stuck with it. The 2 size from comments seems perfect and even big to some.
Have you used both ?
Nice meeting you

0 12
 08-08-2020, 08:48 AM
User Info
(08-08-2020, 08:00 AM)Fredjames Wrote:

Good Luck!!

Hello Petropn
I see how it could add up.  The razor was super easy decision but I never realized brushes would be the money cow.  
I need 2 for drying reasons as others mention in forums chats and I shave every other day for the most part.  I thought of a 3 and was curious if I might say it's too big and then I'm stuck with it.  The 2 size from comments seems perfect and even big to some.
Have you used both ?  
Nice meeting you
Hi Fred, 

I have used both.  I prefer the larger handle for my hand size. The Chubby 2 handle is too small for me.  If they made a Chubby 4, I would buy it. 

Take care,

Nick P.

59 308
 08-08-2020, 08:54 AM
User Info
(08-08-2020, 08:48 AM)petropn Wrote:

Good Luck!!

Hello Petropn
I see how it could add up.  The razor was super easy decision but I never realized brushes would be the money cow.  
I need 2 for drying reasons as others mention in forums chats and I shave every other day for the most part.  I thought of a 3 and was curious if I might say it's too big and then I'm stuck with it.  The 2 size from comments seems perfect and even big to some.
Have you used both ?  
Nice meeting you
Hi Fred, 

I have used both.  I prefer the larger handle for my hand size. The Chubby 2 handle is too small for me.  If they made a Chubby 4, I would buy it. 

Take care,

Nick P.

Is the CH3 in Manchurian smaller than a super in the bloom ? I might be wrong but I thought somewhere I read the different hairs can give smaller or larger brush area. I might be wrong on that. Have you used either size iN the different hair quality

0 12
 08-10-2020, 07:56 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info

Good Luck!!

Hello Petropn
Have you used both ?  
Nice meeting you
Hi Fred, 

Take care,

Nick P.

It seems Simpson skipped the Chubby 4 so here is a Balmoral, their next size up, next to a Chubby 3 for scale. 32X63 knot, 119 handle for overall height of 182 hand filling soap hogging millimetres. 

If the OP goes for another Chubby I suggest a 3 in two band. Two band, in my experience whips Manchurians for pure luxury. I have 3 and 11 respectively in the collection. While I love my Chubby 3 I rarely use it as it is such a soap hog and so awfully wasteful. Not a matter of operating costs but more soap goes down the drain than is used to shave!

The OP might get more enjoyment out of some variety even though the Chubby is the iconic Simpson, a brush in the T3, M7, or Hive range may be best. These handles are all comfortable and open up all lathering options. Manchurian backbone shines on these smaller knots but two band is still more luxurious.

Brushes - money cows? For sure.

[Image: GRCsNCN.jpg]

0 703
 08-10-2020, 08:45 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(08-08-2020, 08:54 AM)Fredjames Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 08:00 AM)Fredjames Wrote: Hello Petropn
Have you used both ?  
Nice meeting you
Hi Fred, 

Take care,

Nick P.

Is the CH3 in Manchurian smaller than a super in the bloom ?  I might be wrong but I thought somewhere I read the different  hairs can give smaller or larger brush area.   I might be wrong on that.  Have you used either size iN the different hair quality

I will try to help. The issue in my experience is one of knot shape. What shapes does the manufacture offer for their various grades? A picture might simplify the idea so here is a Chubby 2 in Manchurian, that was produced with a fan shape, along side a Chubby 2 two band with a bulb shape. Knot diameters are the same. The bulb emphasizes the luxurious soft feel and the fan overall efficiency. I am sure others will offer further... If you can get Mark or someone else at Simpson to explain their choices as to what to offer the market it would be most interesting. There are issues of knot density, loft, backbone, followthrough, glue bumps/humps, scritch (see http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...manchurian), etc etc. I will throw in a shot of two M7 brushes as another example. Size matters, but it is far from everything, and smaller can be better depending on your tastes. Figuring it all out leads to a need for personal experience and ever growing brush collections...

[Image: E9ENoiE.jpg]

[Image: rB1wmfK.jpg]

0 703
 08-10-2020, 02:53 PM
User Info
(08-10-2020, 07:56 AM)u2u Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 08:00 AM)Fredjames Wrote: Hello Petropn
Have you used both ?  
Nice meeting you
Hi Fred, 

Take care,

Nick P.

It seems Simpson skipped the Chubby 4 so here is a Balmoral, their next size up, next to a Chubby 3 for scale. 32X63 knot, 119 handle for overall height of 182 hand filling soap hogging millimetres. 

If the OP goes for another Chubby I suggest a 3 in two band. Two band, in my experience whips Manchurians for pure luxury. I have 3 and 11 respectively in the collection. While I love my Chubby 3 I rarely use it as it is such a soap hog and so awfully wasteful. Not a matter of operating costs but more soap goes down the drain than is used to shave!

The OP might get more enjoyment out of some variety even though the Chubby is the iconic Simpson, a brush in the T3, M7, or Hive range may be best. These handles are all comfortable and open up all lathering options. Manchurian backbone shines on these smaller knots but two band is still more luxurious.

Brushes - money cows? For sure.

[Image: GRCsNCN.jpg]

Hi Nick,
Wow that’s. HUGE difference.  I’m looking forward to getting 2- CH2’s so I can use nd properly rotate for drying and then I can better feel what a quality brush feels like.    Off topic I ordered from Simpson’s using fed ex and it’s been in GB since last Wednesday and I talked to them on when it might get here.  They think it’s maybe further than fed ex is showing.  Have you had any issues with shipping and fed ex from their location coming to the US ?    
The other thing that’s a big difference is tha handle.  I held a CH3 3 band in my hand but did not use and the size in hand felt great. The CH2 seemed smaller but I haven’t used one in a shave yet.   I had the CH2 and 3 at my home from amazon and did not use cause I shipped back and figured I’d put the money back into the Manchurian grade.

0 12
 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-10-2020, 02:53 PM)Fredjames Wrote: Have you had any issues with shipping and fed ex from their location coming to the US ?

During non-covid times, a week to ten days direct from Simpson or from Connaught. One order since covid set in took under three weeks.

19 4,412
 08-10-2020, 05:18 PM
User Info
(08-10-2020, 04:47 PM)chazt Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 02:53 PM)Fredjames Wrote: Have you had any issues with shipping and fed ex from their location coming to the US ?

During non-covid times, a week to ten days direct from Simpson or from Connaught. One order since covid set in took under three weeks.

Hi Charlie. 
 Was that with fed ex ?

0 12
 08-10-2020, 05:32 PM
User Info
Over the years I've placed a number of orders from Simpson directly, all before the pandemic.  The last one was at the end of 2019.  All the orders have been shipped by regular Royal Mail, and arrived in about 10 days.  However, I understand the pandemic has slowed deliveries with all carriers.  It's beyond the control of the shipper, so one just has to be patient.

I recall placing an order from Shavemac in Germany, and paying for Fed Ex shipping.  The order arrived in the USA in two days, then sat for five days waiting for clearance by Customs.  Prior Fed Ex orders from Shavemac had arrived on time, with no Customs hold. Go figure.

60 10,482
 08-11-2020, 02:11 AM
User Info
(08-08-2020, 06:21 AM)Fredjames Wrote: My question is I need 2 more because of second home. Should I buy 2 more chubby 2 Manchurian and always have the same shave with one of the best brushes made or would having a different size and quality make me like or diss like one of the brushes more ?  
My thought is if you only have one type you have no choice but to make it work and since you know only that brush you'll get better at using it than switching styles cause of a chubby3 being big or a chubby 1 being small ?

Hope what I said makes sense and I appreciate your help.

Hello Fred, and congrats on a flying start.
Your Chubbies will serve you well for many years to come.

I have also the luxury of two homes, and my solution has been to diversify.
I have a quality high end item in both homes. You Chubbies could go to a different home too.

And then, as variety is the spice of life, you can add some additions.
For instance, a different handle with the same knot.
I might suggest to add a Captain 2 and a M7 both in Manchurian Badger, for instance.
Or, if you feel adventurous, an Emperor 3.

The other route could be to have same handle with different knots.
I have the Chubby 2 in two band badger and it is one of the top in my den.
You might chase Simpson's for that brush, and a low lofted Best as wel..

Just a few ideas, the rabbit hole of brush purchases is calling you :-)

0 775
 08-11-2020, 02:59 AM
User Info
(08-10-2020, 05:32 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Over the years I've placed a number of orders from Simpson directly, all before the pandemic.  The last one was at the end of 2019.  All the orders have been shipped by regular Royal Mail, and arrived in about 10 days.  However, I understand the pandemic has slowed deliveries with all carriers.  It's beyond the control of the shipper, so one just has to be patient.

I recall placing an order from Shavemac in Germany, and paying for Fed Ex shipping.  The order arrived in the USA in two days, then sat for five days waiting for clearance by Customs.  Prior Fed Ex orders from Shavemac had arrived on time, with no Customs hold. Go figure.

Hello Ricardo,
Thanks for the reply.  It’s funny how we usually tell our kids “you can wait”.    “ stop pacing the floor your birthday party will be here in a few more days “ etc. but us as grown men keep Che king our tracking number every 5 min or looking out the window. Maybe just maybe it will be here today. Ha ha crazy ain’t it.

0 12
 08-11-2020, 03:19 AM
User Info
(08-11-2020, 02:11 AM)wimbouman Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 06:21 AM)Fredjames Wrote: My question is I need 2 more because of second home. Should I buy 2 more chubby 2 Manchurian and always have the same shave with one of the best brushes made or would having a different size and quality make me like or diss like one of the brushes more ?  

Hope what I said makes sense and I appreciate your help.

Hello Fred, and congrats on a flying start.
Your Chubbies will serve you well for many years to come.

I have also the luxury of two homes, and my solution has been to diversify.
I have a quality high end item in both homes. You Chubbies could go to a different home too.

And then, as variety is the spice of life, you can add some additions.
For instance, a different handle with the same knot.
I might suggest to add a Captain 2 and a M7 both in Manchurian Badger, for instance.
Or, if you feel adventurous, an Emperor 3.

The other route could be to have same handle with different knots.
I have the Chubby 2 in two band badger and it is one of the top in my den.
You might chase Simpson's for that brush, and a low lofted Best as wel..

Just a few ideas, the rabbit hole of brush purchases is calling you :-)
Thanks for the reply Wim,
I’ve chatted with a few very nice people since being here and wow it sure seems like a easy addiction.  Better than collecting Rolex watches or exotic cars though ( no I don’t collect those unfortunately )  At least with brushes you can find what you want pretty easily except for certain colors.

0 12
 08-11-2020, 05:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-10-2020, 05:18 PM)Fredjames Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 04:47 PM)chazt Wrote:

Hi Charlie. 
 Was that with fed ex ?

Hi Fred. It was Royal Mail service to USPS.

19 4,412
 08-12-2020, 10:13 AM
User Info
There is no best brush per say, but there will be brushes that are best for you. I will say the Chubby is a well recognized icon, and one that is popular among enthusiasts. I myself have 5 in all the hair grades. By brand Simpson holds the most brushes that I have having at least one of each of the line up. I have easily a hundred others, and I love them too. As a whole Simpson and Shavemac I would say are my favorite makers. I would say try it and see how you like the hair. I think Manchurian is an excellent grade that is reminiscent of a blend of 3-band and 2-band. The only way you will know for certain if you like something is to try it. You'll grow accustomed to whatever you use too unless you just don't agree with how it feels. You might want something softer, or smaller, and there are many good choices in the Simpson line up, as well as elsewhere. I admit I have a preference for the long time established brands, but I like to see what else people have. I appreciate all my various brushes for different reasons, and reach for what I am in the mood for that day. It's usually badger, and I'll rotate between 3-band and 2-band. I love them too much to just be a one and done fellow in regards to this.

33 1,003