Poll: Cant Believe,....
You, of all people didnt need stiches after your first try
It didnt go better, sounds like a successful first attempt I'm still hungry, have any donuts left ?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
[Image: 2012-09-29%252021.42.30.jpg]

So the toronto boys meet up was a great time, I was lucky to have a local expert in honing on hand who made ready one of my blades right there on the spot so i could bring it home and use it while my sheffy was being worked on getting new scales and a blade restore/bevel set over the next coming weeks from him

also had a chance to watch some pinning, and couldnt believe the detail involved with the act, got to try some forging smashing red hot steel with a hammer always fun, and some stropping and honing demos, oh yes grinding too

was going to wait till tomorrow or monday to bank some nice stubble to shave with,... but well,... you know how waiting goes, I washed my face with warm water and a cleanser, let a towel sit on my face for about a minute with some thick lather under it ( dont usually do this but figured it couldnt hurt), then lathered up some Calani Dubai soap, a german soap that makes for an exceptional shave, one of my best soaps in the collection

once all the prep work was done i clasped my Blade and gave a north south stroke or to with my strong hand on that side and had fantastic first time out results,.. swtiched hands to the other side, was trouble free but left quite a bit of stubble behind, will blame this on angle here,
dropped to the neck and had more then a little bit of inconsistant everything's but didnt hurt myself and was blood drop free through it all

since there was no harm in it i relathered and passed north south again to get a little more feeling for the way the razor was held,... more so for my weaker hand,... got two nicks,.. but cold water took care of them, they were small indeed and my off side cheek was now where it should have been after the first pass felt much better with the blade and had some more confidence.

Re Lathered up and tried a south north pass cheek on strong side again good results, off side okay but not great, and neck and chin area still a bit of a struggle but didnt hurt myself, since i dont have to work till tuesday i left things alone here,... my cheeks were a good shave looked okay felt okay little hairs here and there to the touch, but in the mirror, it looked good,... the neck was almost "work" passable but not quite there.

With a second shave monday ill see where im at then ! with more times out and more confidence can only get better and better

Im on happy Boy at the moment !

Finished off my Shave with the Veg,... this deserved nothing less lmao !

3 748
 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh boy! It was so good up until the Veg Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(09-29-2012, 07:32 PM)beartrap Wrote: Oh boy! It was so good up until the Veg Biggrin

then it was great !

3 748
 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Sounds like a great first shave, congratulations! I've only shaved my whole face once with a straight. I keep a goatee so there is no reason to take it off. Only if I take too much off the chin by accident is when the whole face gets shaved. Keep at it and the shaves will only get better.

What type of blade do you have there? I don't believe I read it in the post and I can't make it out from the pic.

10 1,120
 09-29-2012, 08:41 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
its a Gerb Emde "solingen" made razor, part of a seven day set that were made as souviners for the town,... but it is a real blade I traded about 275 astras for it here with Mcgils as he isnt looking to get into straights and needed some astras

the other blade i forget the name on them, it is at least 100 years old made in sheffield England, its gonna be about 5 weeks before i get that one back though

3 748
 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
James, on your next shave give this a try. Instead of doing two N/S and one S/N pass, do one N/S and one E/W or W/E. In other words, one WTG and one XTG. Take your time and I think you will be pleased with the results.

Wish I could use a straight again, but the old hands just won't let me.

173 23,531
 09-29-2012, 08:56 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
lol funny you mention that Johnny i was planning on doing it that way,... i just couldnt get the angle right and feel comfortable with the razor,.. it just felt so awkward in my hand to go sideways and i didnt want to push my luck,... but as the razor felt better in my hand the longer i went i think ill take you advice and give it a shot on the next round out

3 748
 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Check out this link, you should find it helpful.

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/in...d_I_use.3F

10 1,120
 09-29-2012, 09:20 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(09-29-2012, 09:15 PM)MickToley Wrote: Check out this link, you should find it helpful.

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/in...d_I_use.3F

i signed up over there a week ago thats where the group i met tonight came from,.. even found out there is a member who can hone not 5 minutes up the street from me,... but i never seen that angle post before incredibly useful to me, lol thank you for that one

3 748
 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
No problem. I've been there since I started straight shaving. My name there is MichaelFrancis

10 1,120
 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
mine is,... uh syngent lol

3 748
 09-29-2012, 10:23 PM
User Info
Congratulations, James! Well done!

75 20,883
 09-30-2012, 08:58 AM
User Info
That does sound like an excellent first shave to me!

21 1,475