08-15-2020, 05:33 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
**Please see Post #8 on this thread below for a full update of my experience. I was provided with a replacement tub of soap from Gentleman’s Nod which meets, if not exceeds, my original expectations.**

I picked up a tub of Gentleman’s Nod 85, Ernest, a couple weeks ago as they seem to get pretty good press and the scent sounded like something I’d like. Well, the scent is definitely enjoyable. Not something that I’d normally expect in a men’s grooming product, which is exactly what I was after. The performance, however, has been an absolute disappointment. I’ve been trying to elaborate on my experience in this post for almost 20 minutes, but it seems to turn in to a sleazy internet blog hit-piece no matter how gentle I try to be, so I’m just going to say you can name any characteristic of a good shave soap and the results 85 has given me would be the exact opposite. Worst of all, it’s leaving a tenacious sticky residue over everything it touches. Today would have been shave 12, with several test lathers between in an attempt to figure this soap out, but I just couldn’t do it. I’d love to hear that someone has some secret techniques needed for this soap because I really do want to be able to come back to the scent. If you’ve tried any of these soaps, what has your experience been like? Could there have been a bad batch (if that’s a thing for soap, seems like it could be a thing).

**PLEASE NOTE**
Chris with Gentleman’s Nod has contacted me via PM to inquire and remedy this situation. This is ongoing as of typing this update, however I do want to be sure new viewers of this post are aware without the need to scroll any further, since some may not. I will create a companion post when I feel the process has ended.

1 98
 08-17-2020, 04:32 AM
User Info
My experience was not as bad as yours, but I also was disappointed.

It's at quite a high price point ($27 I think), but to me performance is less than some $13 soaps.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

0 30
 08-17-2020, 05:51 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(08-17-2020, 04:32 AM)sgrdddy Wrote: My experience was not as bad as yours, but I also was disappointed.

It's at quite a high price point ($27 I think), but to me performance is less than some $13 soaps.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it!

1 98
 08-18-2020, 07:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Which soap base do you have?

53 21,639
 08-18-2020, 08:04 AM
User Info
Hi There,

To say the least, this is very strange and we have yet to have any feedback akin to this. Would love to know more about when and where you acquired it. Was this a sample etc? I’ve also sent you a PM so we can help get this figured out for you.

Thanks,

C

51 392
 08-18-2020, 10:09 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting , my friend.

I'm glad that Chris did read this so he can help you.

I am a lover of the GN soaps , both the tallow and veggie/vegan versions.

My ultra dry skin loves them , I can't deny that.

Would I like the lather to be less "yogurty" type and more like the triple milled soaps I love ? Yes , but I understand that every artisan formulates their soaps the best that they can or think that the ingredients would be the very best and finest.Not many artisans these days use coconut oil but its OK with me.As I said , these soaps have been superb for my dry skin.

I have used most of the GN line , including the LEs and one of my favorites have been 85 , 11 and the Zaharoff one.

Maybe , as Chris pointed out , you might have tried a bad batch or sample.If not , thank goodness , we have plenty of soap artisans makers to choose these days !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

93 7,476
 08-18-2020, 03:07 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(08-18-2020, 07:38 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Which soap base do you have?

Phil, it’s the non-tallow base. Not sure if there’s more than one non-tallow though, sorry.

(08-18-2020, 08:04 AM)CJames Wrote: Hi There,

To say the least, this is very strange and we have yet to have any feedback akin to this. Would love to know more about when and where you acquired it. Was this a sample etc? I’ve also sent you a PM so we can help get this figured out for you.

Thanks,

C

Thank you for the PM, Chris! I replied via PM, I think I included all info requested, and probably way too much more, but maybe something will spark a thought of what might be going on. I think it’s fair to clarify in the post this was a new jar purchase.

(08-18-2020, 10:09 AM)Teiste Wrote: Interesting , my friend.

I'm glad that Chris did read this so he can help you.

I am a lover of the GN soaps , both the tallow and veggie/vegan versions.

My ultra dry skin loves them , I can't deny that.

Would I like the lather to be less "yogurty" type and more like the triple milled soaps I love ? Yes , but I understand that every artisan formulates their soaps the best that they can or think that the ingredients would be the very best and finest.Not many artisans these days use coconut oil but its OK with me.As I said , these soaps have been superb for my dry skin.

I have used most of the GN line , including the LEs and one of my favorites have been 85 , 11 and the Zaharoff one.

Maybe , as Chris pointed out , you might have tried a bad batch or sample.If not , thank goodness , we have plenty of soap artisans makers to choose these days !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, it was quite a nice surprise to open that PM! I’m really hoping it’s a one-off type of situation, but I don’t know enough about the soap making process to even know if that’s a thing Wink I also lean heavy to the triple milled side of the scale, but never say no to a quality product that isn’t. And the amount of artisan makers of all kinds in the shaving world is amazing to see! I remember just a few years after getting started in wet shaving it felt like every month a new shave product manufacturer was closing up shop. I’m sad a lot of my favorite products are no longer available, I dread the day when I take the last sliver of Klar Kabinett in for a shave and walk out with nothing but my brush and razor, but it definitely is comforting to know I won’t have any trouble picking a soap for the next one.

Sorry for the super post, I feel like I’m cheating the post count to go with individual replies. Although that would probably be a lot more beneficial to everyone involved!

1 98
 08-25-2020, 03:56 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
As mentioned previously, Chris from Gentleman’s Nod reached out to me regarding the poor experience I had with the soap. After a brief rundown of my experience, he offered to replace my tub of Ernest with another one. It arrived in my mailbox yesterday, Monday, and even just a quick look between the two showed a pretty noticeable difference in the color of the soap. This morning I tried out the new tub and it’s working exactly as I would expect a quality soap to perform. Something is most definitely off with my first purchase, which I should clarify was from another online vendor, not Gentleman’s Nod directly. I don’t know enough about making soap or the processes involved to hazard a guess at what went wrong, and I’m not going to speculate on any reason or fault for the issue. Something wasn’t right, but Chris quickly stepped in to make sure everything was right in the end. I’m not one to elevate any soap to any grand position of superiority above what it is, soap, and every other shave soap on the market is a soap, but I do want to take this moment to recognize Gentleman’s Nod and specifically Chris for going what I feel was above and beyond. His confidence in his product and the way our interaction was handled makes them a company I look forward to doing business with again, even if the soap had turned out to be not for me!

Thank you, Chris. I really appreciate the effort you put in to make sure I got to see a product that, I think, is representative of your offerings.

1 98