09-30-2012, 12:06 AM
User Info
Initial Review of the Feather AS-D1 Stainless Steel Razor
[Image: Feather01.jpg]
Before I start this review I would like to make a disclaimer:

This review is based on my personal opinion and experience with this razor. It is not meant to be a testament of the how this razor will perform for you.

In the past when I have given negative reviews to a razor some owners of those brands have become outraged, others stopped being friends with me. I think that has more to do with the character of those people as individuals, but that is a discussion for another place and another time.

People need to realize that no two faces are alike. Not everyone has the same experience with a highly touted product.

So a word of warning, if you own a a Feather AS-D1 and think that it is the cat's meow you may not want to read this review, especially it we are friends.

Pros: Almost perfectly balanced. Beautiful fit and finish. Great presentation.
Cons: High price. Ineffective shaver for anyone with a normal to course beard. It may work fine for those with fine beards and light growth.
Price: 2
Quality: 10
User Friendly: 10
Grip: 10
Ease of Blade Replacement: 10
Aggressiveness: 1
Adjustability: N/A
Balance: 9
Overall Rating: 2.5
Would I recommend: No

[Image: Feather02.jpg]

The craftsmanship, presentation and quality of the Feather far exceeds any other Stainless Steel razor that I have used. It is in a league of it's own. It far exceeds the quality of any Traderer or iKon that I have used.

This is a mild razor, The Feather AS-D1 makes the Tech feel like a Fatboy set to 9 in comparison.

I have spent countless hours reading everything I can about this razor and watching videos on YouTube. Studying proper angle, technique and the experience of the Feather enthusiast.

One of the largest drawbacks to me is the amount of time it takes for me to shave with it. My average time spent while using it is about 35 minutes. That is a long time to spend shaving by any standards, and that does not include any time spent on the prep work.

Another drawback is how quickly my whiskers grow back. On the average, within three hours after my shave I have as much stubble that I normally would within 12 hours. The morning after using the Feather I had what was equivalent to at least 36 hours of growth on my face.

I know that there is a huge learning curve to find that perfect blade angle with this razor, so I am not throwing in the towel soon. For me this is a frustrating razor to own, I hope that I can master it.

Will this razor work for you? Maybe. Pushing 49 with a very thick, fast growing wiry beard it does not seem to work for me. Maybe if you have very fine hair, slight beard growth, or normally only shave every other day it may work for you.

I usually shave twice per day, so this razor is going to take a lot of work to fit into my rotation, and it may never.

I don't need something pretty to look at, I need a shaving tool that performs as I expect when I use it in the morning.

[Image: Feather03.jpg]

5 833
 09-30-2012, 01:40 AM
User Info
Hello Arley, I too have one of these Feather's AS-D1 and like you from the start thought it was a mild razor. However what I had found was from my store of DE blades.

I was able to find from approx eight (8) different blades one that gave me very constant close shaves: 1) Voskhod. 2) Gillette Thin. and Iridium. NOT a Feather.

This excerise has been the same for all my DE razors.

Charles U.K

0 2,324
 09-30-2012, 01:49 AM
User Info
So in short you're saying that it's a well made but mild razor... which makes sense considering that the Feather Popular is also a very mild razor. Perhaps this is why the Feather blades are so wicked sharp - to match the mildness of their razors?

YMMV off course, but I like having one or two mild razors in my rotation for those tender skin days...

3 3,437
 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM
User Info
Nice write-up, and beautiful razor.

2 362
 09-30-2012, 02:54 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I love this razor and continue to keep it around but I just cannot get a decent shave with it. 4 passes and a touch up still brings left over stubble everywhere, not just in the parts that usually need touching up.

I can use a Tech with fantastic results and I find this to be milder than the Tech with ANY blade that I've tried and I've went with the sharpest available to me. Feather, SI, Kai, Bolzano, Gillette, 7 O'Clock Black, Blue and Yellow,Supermax varieties, Permasharp, etc.

The angle I must keep to get anything decent is extreme and I must concentrate to maintain that angle. It's definitely not intuitive.

I just wonder if it was made for the "home market" where I would suppose that most wet shavers have beards that are not as dense/coarse and wiry as those Stateside or in the EU. That may be an ignorant statement but I don't seem to be the only one having a lot of difficulty getting what I want out of this razor.
I'm glad that it works for you Arley as well as all of the other lucky ones!

6 905
 09-30-2012, 03:32 AM
User Info
Great review Arley and wonderful pictures. I also found the razor to be on the mild side with the build quality second to none. As far as it being better then an iKon or Tradere when comparing stainless steel razors I don't agree with that statement. The whole way they present this razor for sale in a nice wooden box is all fluff and no stuff. We are still friends ArleySmile

98 12,353
 09-30-2012, 03:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
I like your review of the Feather. Thank you. It is well thought out and well written. I, too, liked the razor's looks and manufacturing quality. The shave, however, was disappointing in the way you note. I bought and sold the Feather twice with high expectations of mastering it for my heavy Assyrian beard. I was disappointed. Perhaps the third time will be a charm, should I chose to give it another try. Thus far my decision takes one step forward and two back.
Stay well,

132 2,614
 09-30-2012, 04:53 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Has anyone reporting the mild nature of this razor tried adding shims?

Just curious.

11 366
 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
It really is a beautiful razor, but I agree with Arley. I owned it for a few weeks, gave it a shot, and sold it. It never gave me a good shave, no matter what technique/prep I used.

I'd have to disagree that it is crafted better than an iKon or Tradere though. While it is a beautiful razor on par with iKon and Tradere, IMO they are both at the top of the list for build quality.

Arley, I hope you and the feather learn to get along. I do think the feather has a big learning curve, but to me, it just wasn't worth it.

9 408
 09-30-2012, 06:11 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for the review. I too have a Feather AS and I like it very much. Like you pointed out it's quality is next to none. It's a razor that I plan on having a lifetime. I prefer mild razors razors and the Feather gives me nice shaves. One thing I noticed is the angle that's needed is very different from any other razor I've used but once I got used to that it worked very well for me.

45 3,955
 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Skin stretching and extra passes seem to be the key for me with this razor

115 1,690
 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
The Feather is one of the most balanced and perfect feeling razors made. The one thing I noticed when I had mine was that the proper cutting angle was unlike any other razor I have used. Keep the room quiet and listen for the hairs being cut, you'll find the angle eventually and then the razor will perform better for you.

129 6,685
 09-30-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
I am not giving up on it yet. I like mild razors and much as I like aggressive razors, I just need to find the right blade combo/shaving angle.

5 833
 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
I find the feather works best with a sharp blade. In can still do my regular 3 pass, but for the 3rd pass I have do do the "buffing" motion for a few spots.

It always gives me as a good a shave as any razor and little to no irritation.

I can hardly feel it cutting but it sings while the whiskers are getting mowed down.

I am a fan of the feather, but it did take some time to appreciate it. Very steep angle, started with top plate flat on my face and slowly lower until it just starts cutting. Works every Ike for me.

Nice review and hope you get it figured out.

8 2,718
 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Same sentiments as you toward this razor, Arley.
Thanks for sharing.

74 20,781
 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
Tomorrow I am putting in a Polsilver SI and a single shim to see how that works out.

5 833
 10-01-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
What a difference a new blade and a shim can make. Although I did not get a BBS from the AS-D1 today, I did get a damn fine shave. The Polsilver SI seems to be a much better match for this razor than the Feather, which I must say surprised me. I would have thought being a Feather Razor that a Feather blade would work best.

The addition of one shim also made a difference in the gap, making it shave much more like a Tech. This may be the way that I have to use this razor, and if that is the case, I am okay with that. It is not a big deal to add a shim, as we all have plenty of used blades.

My face is BBS smooth, while the area from my jawline down is about 80% smooth, while the rest is DFS. The real test will be to see how long my face remains this way for, as previously I had major stubble within a few hours.

Will follow-up later in the day and once I get home, but I must say that I am happy with today's results.

[Image: SOTD-10-01-2012.jpg]

5 833
 10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Hey, Arley, have you tried shimming this razor? It may just bring it up to where it's more useful for you.

25 1,694
 10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I used two shims on mine yesterday, mucho better. I tend to use shims that just extend over the edges of the inner ribbed section of blade bed, not farther out towards the safety bar/edges of cap.

132 1,901
 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
(10-01-2012, 05:11 AM)Azarius Wrote: Although I did not get a BBS from the AS-D1 today, I did get a damn fine shave.

So you may be able to celebrate Feather Fridays after all....

178 11,973