08-19-2020, 09:42 AM
User Info
Okay, starting here. Ordered my rotary tool and bench grinder with buffing wheel for my shop... in my endeavor to replace my modern DE stuff with Vintage nice guff, lurking on the 'bay for inexpensive yet restorable brushes to restore the handles and set new knots. All my modern except one are synthetic, and the one resto I bought already had a replacement Pure Badger that's very scritchy so using it as a travel for face lathering with a stick. So there is just something about doing it yo self!

Most likely will try 2 band badger first, or maybe try a Manchurian??? Will replace the knots in these handles. 

Anyone suggest a source of decent non-chines-sweat shop knots. I know I will pay more but if I keep my handle/knot price to about $60-70 with a premium knot I'm good, since I'd pay at least that or double for one already made.

0 12
 08-19-2020, 09:43 AM
User Info
Maggards HD knot is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 19
 08-19-2020, 12:28 PM
User Info
Elite Razor knots are excellent.

https://eliterazor.com/product-category/...hes/knots/

If you want a premium, top tier knot, BullGoose carries Thater knots.  These knots are made by hand in Germany. 

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...h-l-thater

60 10,494
 08-19-2020, 12:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-19-2020, 12:28 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Elite Razor knots are excellent.

https://eliterazor.com/product-category/...hes/knots/

If you want a premium, top tier knot, BullGoose carries Thater knots.  These knots are assembled by hand in Germany. 

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...h-l-thater

Signs011

19 4,444
 08-19-2020, 12:47 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've read that most of the shaving brush badger hair in the world comes from China, that the animals are mostly protected species in Europe & the Americas.  Where the hair is tied into the knot is another matter .. 

Shavemac sells knots directly in quite a variety of grades (6) and sizes (18mm to 30mm) and shapes (3)..

72 720
 08-19-2020, 09:52 PM
User Info
For non-chinese sweat shop knots, literally I can only think of one source for knots you can get made to your specification is Shavemac. To get the price in the range after the handle you'd have to go with the pure badger grade. It's actually quite a good grade coming from Shavemac, and much better than you might expect if you have bought a pure badger from other places before and haven't been well impressed. Simpson is the only other modern day maker that has good ones too. Anything else is quite simply going to be coming from China to get it at cheap prices. You could send a handle to some other artisans tying their own knots.

33 1,004
 08-20-2020, 03:27 AM
User Info
Is Simpson selling knots only?

0 12
 08-20-2020, 03:50 AM
User Info
(08-20-2020, 03:27 AM)ChiefX Wrote: Is Simpson selling knots only?

No.

60 10,494
 08-21-2020, 06:06 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
As several other members have stated, shavemac is probably your best source for high quality badger knots.  They come in a range of sizes, shapes and grade of badger hair.  I’ve 5 shavemac knots in various grades: pure, Finest, 3-band silver tip and 2-band silvertip.  I think the Finest grade offers the best value without compromising quality or performance.  I believe Finest is a mix of 60% 3-band silvertip and 40% pure.

9 1,166
 08-21-2020, 12:31 PM
User Info
On a budget, Elite razor offers excellent knots

32 495
 09-12-2020, 02:34 AM
User Info
(08-19-2020, 09:52 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: For non-chinese sweat shop knots, literally I can only think of one source for knots you can get made to your specification is Shavemac. To get the price in the range after the handle you'd have to go with the pure badger grade. It's actually quite a good grade coming from Shavemac, and much better than you might expect if you have bought a pure badger from other places before and haven't been well impressed. Simpson is the only other modern day maker that has good ones too. Anything else is quite simply going to be coming from China to get it at cheap prices. You could send a handle to some other artisans tying their own knots.
Does Shavemac state where their badger hairs / knots are sourced from? I was under the assumption that almost all brush-makers source from China.

1 42
 09-12-2020, 05:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(09-12-2020, 02:34 AM)Zhang Doe Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 09:52 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: For non-chinese sweat shop knots, literally I can only think of one source for knots you can get made to your specification is Shavemac. To get the price in the range after the handle you'd have to go with the pure badger grade. It's actually quite a good grade coming from Shavemac, and much better than you might expect if you have bought a pure badger from other places before and haven't been well impressed. Simpson is the only other modern day maker that has good ones too. Anything else is quite simply going to be coming from China to get it at cheap prices. You could send a handle to some other artisans tying their own knots.
Does Shavemac state where their badger hairs / knots are sourced from? I was under the assumption that almost all brush-makers source from China.

shavemac hand-ties all its knots and doesn’t buy knots from China or elsewhere.  As for the source of their badger hair, I’d think it   would mostly come from China if not all.

9 1,166
 09-12-2020, 12:31 PM
User Info
Try Oumo on Aliexpress. Their knots are excellent!

0 3
 09-14-2020, 06:21 PM
User Info
I may have to take another look at shavemac. I tried a 2 band silvertip bulb back in the day but it was too pointy of a bulb for me. Anyone have an average ship time nowadays due to the pandemic?

1 47
 09-17-2020, 01:41 AM
User Info
(09-14-2020, 06:21 PM)Whisker_whacker Wrote: I may have to take another look at shavemac. I tried a 2 band silvertip bulb back in the day but it was too pointy of a bulb for me. Anyone have an average ship time nowadays due to the pandemic?

If a bulb is pointy, the knot was set too deep....
Shipping time is about 4-7 days, they only ship now with FEDEX internationally. If the knot is on hand, it can be shipped pretty fast.
My orders take about 4-6 weeks from order to receipt, but I always order larger amounts of knots.
Finest grade is excellent for the money, in my opinion better and more consistent than a Simpson Best.

0 196
 09-17-2020, 07:10 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info Rudy! Finest is on my list to try from them.

1 47
 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
User Info
Elite razor 2-band Manchurian

Pretty amazing...

58 533
 Yesterday, 04:06 PM
User Info
I re-knotted a brush with a Maggards two band and it’s been a great knot and I don’t remember it ever shedding a hair, has great backbone, and good face feel.

12 657
 Yesterday, 05:37 PM
User Info
Rudy, hooked me up with a shavemac finest. Outstanding value and excellent knot.
Thanks again, Rudy!

32 495
 Yesterday, 06:11 PM
User Info
Rudy Vey’s manchurian is very impressive. Much better than some highly touted brand names.
I have to say, my personal favorite is a relofted large omega boar brush.

9 1,603