08-23-2020, 04:58 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
As many of you know I’m not a big ‘scent’ guy. Less is better in my book. I’ve experimented in the past with blending scented soaps and unscented. Both times, the blends were ~50/50. While the results improved my olfactory response, they remained a wee bit too scenty for my optimal enjoyment.

Today I took ~25-35% of a tub Mike’s Natural Lime and blended in a new puck of Mike’s Unscented. As it is said, “Voila!” Sometimes they say, “boomchockalocka.”

I remain a happy shaver.

19 4,437
 08-23-2020, 08:54 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Agreed.  I find that instead of trying to chase the perfect soap to match of scent for a cologne, I just use my favorite unscented soap and one spray of my cologne into the lather bowl makes an ideal lather.
Saves a ton of cash too!

49 2,170
 08-23-2020, 09:42 PM
User Info
I have sensitive skin and went unscented a while ago. The journey has been interesting and I believe that by using unscented soaps your attention goes to pure performance, in my case skin friendliness is an important piece of the puzzle. After too many soaps and cash I now use 3 unscented soaps exclusively, one of them is Mike’s. Awesome performer.

I love scents, good and simple. The scent of natural ingredients is good enough for me.

9 1,601
 08-23-2020, 09:52 PM
User Info
I don't feel the need to seek out unscented products but that's not to say that I haven't had my fair share of reactions as well as enjoying unscented soaps the in a similar respect. I have a my first tub from years ago that was my first unscented Mystic Water. I am almost through with it but I also have another affinity for Mike's, both for performance and scent. But recently, I had combined some Mikes and Mystic Water test samples together for my go to clean up soap. I can use it as said above as a way to follow with an EdC or EdP. I think it is a great idea but luckily my skin has been tolerant to many scented shave soaps. Performance has always been more important than scent so I shoot for what gives an easy, nice shave.

87 1,797
 08-24-2020, 03:39 AM
User Info
Many folks are scent-sensitive and today's shave soap market has been flooded with really bizarre combinations of scents. Where did this absurdity originate? Look at the classic shave soaps. Most were lightly-scented if at all. Lavender seemed to be the scent of choice. Then we got Old Spice, Tabac, etc. and we're off to the races.
I think your idea, Charlie, to blend unscented soaps with a small percentage of scented soaps that you like, makes perfect sense. I used to have a tin of Simpson Unscented cream and I would, as Erik does, spritz a few drops of cologne into the mix for a personalized soap. Luckily, most scents don't affect me, except my sense of good taste (although I have been widely criticized for my affection for scents such as Tabac, Midnight Stag and...THE VEG.   Cool) For better or worse, we're never going back to mono-scented shave soaps, but if I had a soap-manufacturer's ear, I would remind them that less is more. But I don't. 

82 6,298
 08-24-2020, 09:00 AM
User Info
How did you get Mike's unscented?  Every time I go to his web site it says it's out of stock.

0 13
 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-24-2020, 09:00 AM)rmongiovi Wrote: How did you get Mike's unscented?  Every time I go to his web site it says it's out of stock.

Patience and diligence. I checked the site every day for weeks at a time. When has has them buy a few. Good luck!

19 4,437
 08-24-2020, 01:36 PM
User Info
How unfortunate.  How can "unscented" always be out of stock?  Isn't step one of every soap he makes unscented?  Forecast demand and save a couple of pucks worth out of each batch.

0 13
 08-24-2020, 02:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-24-2020, 01:36 PM)rmongiovi Wrote: How unfortunate.  How can "unscented" always be out of stock?  Isn't step one of every soap he makes unscented?  Forecast demand and save a couple of pucks worth out of each batch.

I think most soap makers will tell you that unscented soaps don’t sell well.

19 4,437
 08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
User Info
(08-24-2020, 02:38 PM)chazt Wrote: I think most soap makers will tell you that unscented soaps don’t sell well.

Well, no doubt.  It's difficult to sell something that's always out of stock.  But that was what "forecast demand" was supposed to be about.  My point is that unscented requires no extra effort.  If the vendor cared to satisfy demand, it wouldn't actually require work.  What's the shelf life of soap, anyway?  Toss a couple of bars aside.  If they sell, that tells you there's demand.  If a couple of bars effects the bottom line too much then add a waiting list.  This isn't rocket science.  Lots of sites have "alert me when this is available."  The lack of that feature means I don't feel especially bad that Mike doesn't get my money.  He obviously doesn't care.

0 13
 08-25-2020, 06:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
And on the other hand, it’s just soap.

If you’re looking for something comparable, Shannon’s and Mystic Water generally seem to have inventory pretty regularly. Their soap base is every bit as good as Mike’s. CRSW is another top artisan maker who’s unscented product I have tried. There are others that are similar but I can’t give a first hand account.

Have fun trying new soaps. Don’t get too hung up on soft artisan soaps. They’re all going to help you make a great lather for shaving.

19 4,437
 08-25-2020, 09:17 PM
User Info
(08-25-2020, 06:40 PM)chazt Wrote: And on the other hand, it’s just soap.

Biggrin And that is the root of my difficulty.  It is, after all, just a bar of soap.  And there's just no way I can justify paying 20 bucks for a bar of soap.  That drastically limits my choices.  I've tried Shannon's and Mystic Water and Stirling and others and didn't really care for them.  So I am quite peeved when there's a recommended unscented soap in my price range and I just can't seem to display the dexterity required to purchase it.  It gives me a sad.

0 13
 08-26-2020, 05:38 AM
User Info
(08-25-2020, 05:58 PM)rmongiovi Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 02:38 PM)chazt Wrote: I think most soap makers will tell you that unscented soaps don’t sell well.

Well, no doubt.  It's difficult to sell something that's always out of stock.  But that was what "forecast demand" was supposed to be about.  My point is that unscented requires no extra effort.  If the vendor cared to satisfy demand, it wouldn't actually require work.  What's the shelf life of soap, anyway?  Toss a couple of bars aside.  If they sell, that tells you there's demand.  If a couple of bars effects the bottom line too much then add a waiting list.  This isn't rocket science.  Lots of sites have "alert me when this is available."  The lack of that feature means I don't feel especially bad that Mike doesn't get my money.  He obviously doesn't care.

All of mikes soaps sell out, he’s pretty upfront about being a small batch soap maker. He uses a system that has worked well for years though it isn’t optimal for everyone; that doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. If you follow him on Facebook, you get alerted when soaps are in stock. By the way - all of this winging when there are unscented pucks available right now (Aug 26th)

36 2,138
 08-26-2020, 06:36 AM
User Info
(08-26-2020, 05:38 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: By the way - all of this winging when there are unscented pucks available right now (Aug 26th)
Ah, I see. It's available in a jar, not in a puck. I only look at his "pucks" page since I have no use whatsoever for the jar.

0 13
 08-26-2020, 07:31 AM
User Info
(08-26-2020, 06:36 AM)rmongiovi Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 05:38 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: By the way - all of this winging when there are unscented pucks available right now (Aug 26th)
Ah, I see.  It's available in a jar, not in a puck.  I only look at his "pucks" page since I have no use whatsoever for the jar.
That doesn't seem a logical reason not to try Mike's. They are outstanding soaps.

82 6,298
 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM
User Info
I didn't say it was.  I explained why I had never seen it.  I had never looked at the jar page because I don't want jars.

0 13
 08-26-2020, 08:41 AM
User Info
(08-26-2020, 08:00 AM)rmongiovi Wrote: I didn't say it was.  I explained why I had never seen it.  I had never looked at the jar page because I don't want jars.
Got it.  Thumbsup

82 6,298