08-24-2020, 05:20 PM
User Info
Good day. Here is the situation.  I am 72 going on 73 years old.  I have an extensive collection of SE/LE brushes as well as a nice collection of Gillette vintage razors.  No one in my family has any interest in my shaving gear.  My desire is to dispose of my gear to interested folks.  I seek no profit. I simply want to dispose of the gear.  Recommendations?

22 867
 08-24-2020, 05:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I commiserate with your situation. Nobody in my family is interested in my gear either. Why not take some pictures and post them in the BST with prices you feel are what you’re looking to get for each item. Or bundle some items together to save on shipping costs. Good luck, good health and good shaves Smile

19 4,412
 08-24-2020, 10:37 PM
User Info
One alternative would be continue to use your gear and to designate a trusted and willing friend to sell off your collection after you die or are unable to deal with it yourself. I have discussed this with my wife and a good friend who generously has agreed to do that task for me after I am gone.

247 14,478
 08-25-2020, 10:09 AM
User Info
(08-24-2020, 10:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: One alternative would be continue to use your gear and to designate a trusted and willing friend to sell off your collection after you die or are unable to deal with it yourself. I have discussed this with my wife and a good friend who generously has agreed to do that task for me after I am gone.

You let us know when you decide to go John as there are several razors and brushes I will plant a flag on!  In all seriousness please decide to hang around a lot longer.  I enjoy your posts and wisdom.

6 565
 08-25-2020, 10:22 AM
User Info
Interesting dilemma for sure.  I have just the opposite issue in that I frequently find gear missing only to have a son or daughter-in-law returning something had had caught their eye they wished to try.  They are welcome to whatever they want right now except for a few items I wish to remain for several more years.  

So here would be my thinking; my bride is 8 years my junior and will most likely long outlive me.  I would wish her to have whatever dollars are there for whatever hobby she might wish it for.  Although she also uses soap/brush she has zero idea of what my kit is worth and would be selling or giving away custom kit at ridiculous prices.  I really like Johns idea of arranging for a like-minded gent to dispose of the horde to maximize her return.  I also know that giving kit to new fellas that are not related to me brings joy too.  Got a box of vintage Gillette’s that I don’t have any emotional attachment to and am PIFing them as I go.

6 565
 08-25-2020, 02:12 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-25-2020, 10:22 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Interesting dilemma for sure.  I have just the opposite issue in that I frequently find gear missing only to have a son or daughter-in-law returning something had had caught their eye they wished to try.  They are welcome to whatever they want right now except for a few items I wish to remain for several more years.  

So here would be my thinking; my bride is 8 years my junior and will most likely long outlive me.  I would wish her to have whatever dollars are there for whatever hobby she might wish it for.  Although she also uses soap/brush she has zero idea of what my kit is worth and would be selling or giving away custom kit at ridiculous prices.  I really like Johns idea of arranging for a like-minded gent to dispose of the horde to maximize her return.  I also know that giving kit to new fellas that are not related to me brings joy too.  Got a box of vintage Gillette’s that I don’t have any emotional attachment to and am PIFing them as I go.

Yes. Kit valuation can be a sensitive issue.

Brother Raccoon!

Attached Files Image(s)

19 4,412
 08-26-2020, 01:26 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-24-2020, 10:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: One alternative would be continue to use your gear and to designate a trusted and willing friend to sell off your collection after you die or are unable to deal with it yourself. I have discussed this with my wife and a good friend who generously has agreed to do that task for me after I am gone.
When you're gone John, many, many years from now, most of your collection should go to a museum. 

I'd like to submit my application for curator now if I may.

As if I'll be around.

8 2,829
 08-26-2020, 01:41 PM
User Info
(08-24-2020, 05:20 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: Good day. Here is the situation.  I am 72 going on 73 years old.  I have an extensive collection of SE/LE brushes as well as a nice collection of Gillette vintage razors.  No one in my family has any interest in my shaving gear.  My desire is to dispose of my gear to interested folks.  I seek no profit. I simply want to dispose of the gear.  Recommendations?
I will turn 66 in about 5 weeks and those thoughts are just starting to nibble around the edges of my brain. I have a problem though. I'm still buying stuff: )

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

0 14
 08-26-2020, 02:15 PM
User Info
(08-26-2020, 01:26 PM)Mouser Wrote:
When you're gone John, many, many years from now, most of your collection should go to a museum. 

I'd like to submit my application for curator now if I may.

As if I'll be around.
Thanks. But it is nowhere near as impressive as it would have been if I had kept all of my vintage Gillette razors, Somerset Simpson brushes, and Penhaligon's soaps. I'm pretty much a user, not a displayer. At one time years ago, when I was living the 'self-sufficient' life on my rural 10 acres and in a house furnished/equipped primarily via thrift shops, I and a friend had the idea of starting the Great American Museum of Tackiness. Our idea was that it would display representative examples of America's terrible cultural taste. But somehow we never got it started, possibly because the museum would not have differed greatly from the thrift shops themselves or even the decor of many typical American homes. But if someone here wants to start a wet shaving museum, I might be persuaded to contribute to it.

247 14,478
 08-27-2020, 02:07 PM
User Info
Why would you not display your things on here, even if you're not making a profit?  Part of why I like this forum is that people share in their passion for shaving that others have no interest in. When you give, pass, or sell products here my hope is that people use, cherish, and appreciate the vintage product when others don't. My hope is that you can pass your things to people that can continue to use and appreciate your things, just as you do. Good luck.

0 42