09-07-2020, 07:36 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
The variety of resin combinations our patrons choose for their custom ("bespoke" as our British friends say) shaving brushes is quite amazing.  The Malachite and Tortoiseshell Morris & Forndran Beehive--soon to wing its way across the pond--is just one example.

[Image: 0OZpN3N.jpg]

4 1,056
 09-07-2020, 09:23 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Not to my taste.  I prefer faux ivory, faux antique ivory and butterscotch (both English and American).  Some of the resin handles people like today would be better off in a sweet (candy to Americans) shop.  I think I’m showing my 72 years. Angel

9 1,166
 09-07-2020, 10:09 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(09-07-2020, 09:23 AM)Rufus Wrote: Not to my taste.  I prefer faux ivory, faux antique ivory and butterscotch (both English and American).  Some of the resin handles people like today would be better off in a sweet (candy to Americans) shop.  I think I’m showing my 72 years. Angel

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rufus.  Because you have a year on me (at least until November), I shall respect my elders Biggrin (as, indeed, I try to respect the tastes/opinions of those with, shall we say, less experience Smile ).  Truth be told, all the M&F bi-colour beehives created prior to the one pictured above were (are?) in the resin colors you mention.  (Yes, I'm a traditionalist too (see below).)  

We do try to steer patrons away from colors that obviously don't harmonize, but because our business model encourages a degree of innovation (which means some things might not always work out as intended), we are often surprised at how well combinations we never considered end up.  I posted that handle in that spirit.

Best wishes for a great day!

[Image: sEwBJDf.jpg]

4 1,056
 09-07-2020, 10:35 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(09-07-2020, 10:09 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 09:23 AM)Rufus Wrote: Not to my taste.  I prefer faux ivory, faux antique ivory and butterscotch (both English and American).  Some of the resin handles people like today would be better off in a sweet (candy to Americans) shop.  I think I’m showing my 72 years. Angel

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rufus.  Because you have a year on me (at least until November), I shall respect my elders Biggrin (as, indeed, I try to respect the tastes/opinions of those with, shall we say, less experience Smile ).  Truth be told, all the M&F bi-colour beehives created prior to the one pictured above were (are?) in the resin colors you mention.  (Yes, I'm a traditionalist too (see below).)  

We do try to steer patrons away from colors that obviously don't harmonize, but because our business model encourages a degree of innovation (which means some things might not always work out as intended), we are often surprised at how well combinations we never considered end up.  I posted that handle in that spirit.

Best wishes for a great day!

[Image: sEwBJDf.jpg]

Brad, no slight intended towards you or your customers.  You and Lee have made several brushes for me, which are absolutely delightful, but probably not to everyone’s taste.  You have to be responsive to your customers and respond to what the market wants and you certainly do a good job of that, including accommodating Luddites such as me.  BTW, come 22 Nov. I’ll be 73. Tongue

9 1,166
 09-07-2020, 10:48 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
The British Racing Green is smashing! I bet the handle will look even better with the knot installed.

16 709
 09-07-2020, 11:19 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I think both the green AND the butterscotch look fantastic!  Nice work Brad.

36 1,074
 09-07-2020, 11:50 AM
User Info
(09-07-2020, 11:19 AM)NJDJ Wrote: I think both the green AND the butterscotch look fantastic!  Nice work Brad.

SBAD enabled. I'd get both

66 1,943
 09-09-2020, 05:04 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Both those brushes look fantastic!  But the green brush is amazing!

12 2,395
 09-10-2020, 05:36 AM
User Info
I love the green

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 79
 09-10-2020, 06:19 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Nancy and I appreciate your kind words, gentlemen.  Other than colors, the green (Malachite) beehive is a 28mm while the Antique Ivory is a 26.  Since the heights are the same (~50mm), the 28mm has a broader profile, which many seem to prefer.

4 1,056
 09-10-2020, 07:55 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I don't have a green brush but just might have one in the near future. Beautiful racing green handle

0 606
 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM
User Info
I am really liking the malachite and tortoise combo; Makes me want to get a new brush!

12 659