09-07-2020, 05:15 PM
User Info
I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on oiling your blade in between shaves. I started doing it when using cartridges and it genuinely seemed to make them last longer. It is still part of my post shave routine. I was wondering with being able to remove the blades and dry them well, does oiling them make a difference?

1 99
 09-07-2020, 05:22 PM
User Info
I’ve not heard of this strategy, but with regards to extending the life and quality of good shaves - stropping seems to be effective.

36 2,139
 09-07-2020, 05:53 PM
User Info
(09-07-2020, 05:22 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve not heard of this strategy, but with regards to extending the life and quality of good shaves - stropping seems to be effective.

Stropping seems to make sense. If I remember correctly, it think it was supposed to have something to do with preventing oxidation and/or developing burs. Or something of that nature. I was thinking as dry as a blade can get when you pat it dry after shaving it seems that may render oiling unnecessary.

1 99
 09-07-2020, 05:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-07-2020, 05:22 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve not heard of this strategy, but with regards to extending the life and quality of good shaves - stropping seems to be effective.

Yes.

19 4,446
 09-08-2020, 09:35 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Dipping the blade in oil or rubbing alcohol is good for extending the life of a carbon blade. As a vintage blade user I have used a few carbons. They really need to be in pristine shape, carefully stored. Carbon blades, at the time stainless were first introduced,  were sharper than stainless which is why Gillette made the mistake in thinking men wouldn't want to switch. But they require extra post shave care which most men ignored. To delay the inevitable rust its a good idea to do the aforementioned dip, i use alcohol  and let them dry for a short while on a piece of tissue.

8 2,831
 09-08-2020, 12:19 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have always used a Q-tip with a drop of high quality sewing machine oil on each side after washing and drying the blades with a hair dryer...get many good shaves with any blade I use...don,t hardly change them on any use schedule....when they work I use. them and when they don,t I change them.

6 2,186
 09-08-2020, 12:54 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Since Hans pointed out in a previous post that MIT determined that razor blades chip as they cut the whiskers and it's the micro chipping that eventually dulls the blade. Alcohol is a fat so it may leave a microscopic residue that will also protect the blade while sanitizing and drying it. Oil on the other hand will definitely leave a residue and may protect the blade as the whisker hits the edge. Since MIT did the work of determining exactly how a blade dulls, I am wondering if they also tested various consumer products (eg. oiling the blade or the face) to determine the veracity of the old husband's tale of changing the DE blade once a (week, month, year) because he oils, strops etc before/after every shave. Also curious about how the various manufactured coatings would perform under such rigorous testing. Regardless of what the microscope shows, we are all sure that the law of YMMV holds firm when it comes to pampering your money maker at the shave nook spa.

0 476