09-10-2020, 01:02 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, please share your experience of using Tonka Bean Shave Co.  
Is this soap comparable to Sebum Gold?

Thanks
Michael

5 172
 09-10-2020, 07:17 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I've not really seen many posts, but of those I've seen, the lather is still finicky for people.
I'm wanting to try one, but kinda hard to do with the complex scent notes and (still) high price tag.

I'd love if companies started selling smaller amounts at smaller price tags. How many tubs of 4-6 oz of soap do we need? I'm sure 1-2 oz. of anything would still last us several years considering the variety in everyone's den.

But not sure that would work for the seller side, so I know I'm kinda dreaming here.

... Samples would be welcome though.

good lather has no suds

98 4,104
 09-11-2020, 05:38 AM
User Info
The TB soap isn’t anything like Sē’bŭm. I have the Pearl Jam.  Wouldn’t buy it again.
Once you get a lather it’s just a “good” soap.  
The performance is fine, scent is uneventful and the tub seems to be oiling out...
FWIW, I’d rather use other USA artisan soaps CRSW, A&E, GN...
Pete

4 194
 09-11-2020, 09:09 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I didn't like it...total waste of money.
I have the unscented TB soap listed for sale on a few FB BST's.  I can give you a good deal on it Wink

49 2,170
 09-11-2020, 06:28 PM
  • Nero
User Info
So it's worse than Sebum?

good lather has no suds

98 4,104
 09-11-2020, 06:53 PM
User Info
I don’t think Sē’bŭm is bad.  Just a different product that’s expensive.
IMHO Tonka Bean isn’t as good as other artisan products.
Many of the soaps that I have are easier to lather, have more interesting scents and have equal Or better performance than TB.

4 194
 09-13-2020, 08:19 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I’ve now enjoyed about 10 shaves with Tonka Bean Shave Company’s unscented soap.  It’s magnificent.

How does it compare to Sebum Gold?  It’s different.  Sebum Gold is excellent, and I’ve emptied a jar of it.  But, the two soaps are not all that similar.

The unscented one has a beautiful natural scent (just from the ingredients).  Extremely light, of course.  Mellow, and a hint of vanilla I think.

Tonka Bean has a creamy lather, that’s slick, and the performance is terrific.  But, like Sebum, there is a learning curve.  It takes 4 or 5 times to get it right.

The post-shave feel is outstanding.  The same as Sebum in my opinion.  

It would be interesting to compare to Sebum's Tonka Bean Butter, but at $335 for a set with the serum, I won't be doing that.

Shipping costs to Canada are much lower than Sebum, because there’s no heavy glass jar.

It’s a top-tier soap that’s right up there with my (current) favourites:  Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil, Sebum Latte, Martin de Candre Rose, Castle Forbes Lavender, Cold River Glide and Oliva, and Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba.  I usually super-lather, mixing with Meissner Tremonia Puristic.

[Image: RP3eTdw.jpg]
[Image: Z1Vt61H.jpg]

1 665
 09-13-2020, 08:23 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Thanks for your insight, David.
Yeah, maybe the one I should try (if I do) is the Au Naturel (unscented). That really makes the most sense, since I'm unsure about the others.

good lather has no suds

98 4,104