09-12-2020, 05:53 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I'm always lucky.
Just watching the UK shop, I see the Henson Shaving AL13 Dual Tone.
[Image: KWXRk2o.jpg]

Looks like the Blue / Red is different.
And I can not see It on the HS website.
So I grab one very quickly.

0 2,270
 09-12-2020, 06:36 AM
User Info
This Henson razor made in Canada looks nice. Anyone try this yet?

66 1,944
 09-12-2020, 02:10 PM
User Info
This was my initial review 3 weeks ago and I have about 8 shaves in with it now, and my opinion is still the same. If you lean toward a milder shave this razor gives a great 3 pass BBS for me.

First shave with my Henson razor. Let me start by saying I have never kept an aluminum razor, even the Mongoose felt flimsy to me.
Head weighs in at 16g and total weight of 38g
The finish is average to above average and the balance is very good. The handle has deep knurling to provide excellent grip. There is very little blade extending beyond the Rasor edge and it definitely is a very firm grip at the edge of the blade. Due to this I purposely added more water than normal to my ETHOS soap to get more slickness and less density as there is the least amount of blade reveal of any of my razors.
I did a 3 pass shave
PreShave Hot shower and ETHOS First lather
Soap ETHOS Melange de Agrumes
Brush Greydog
Blade First use PolSilver Poland
Post Thayers lemon and ETHOS Melange de Agrumes
With a slightly thinner lather than normal I did a WTG first pass using Short strokes and skin stretching I got a very good DFS on a 24 hour beard. The razor definitely gave good audible feedback to let me know I was clearing those whiskers
2nd pass XTG. Again a thinner lather with great slickness I had very good audible feedback and got a very smooth pass. Rinse and feel, I needed a 3rd pass on my midline neck under the jawline and under the nose.
3rd pas ATG this led to a very smooth BBS shave. No nicks or irritation at all.
The design of this razor is a marriage of Timeless and Blackbird IMHO giving a very rigid blade with a very flat cutting surface. There is very little blade extruding from the edge of the razor, yet it provides a very clean irritation free shave.
I have never been a fan of aluminum and if this razor is ever made in SS or Brass I will buy it but first impressions are if you like a mild to mid razor and are OK with a full 3 pass shave it is definitely a razor to consider, especially at $40 USD. The head design is definitely innovative and I am impressed with my first shave.

34 668
 09-17-2020, 02:31 AM
User Info
I would normally wait to post a review until I had at least 4 shaves with a razor.  I have used the Henson 3 times with 3 different blades (Astra, Nacet, Tatra), and now have enough experience to share my opinions.  I plan to use a Feather and a Wizamet/Polsilver for my next 2 shaves.

The Henson razor is a true 
"disruptor" to DE shaving.  I have found no other razor as intuitively easy to use for a new wet shaver, period.  This razor literally makes all mild DE razors LOOK LIKE MISTAKES (Gillette blue tip, Merkur 34C, all DE89's, RR Mamba, etc).  This is due to the head design and flawless "precision" machining to an amazing .0005 tolerance.  The blade is so tightly encased.... there is literally zero blade chatter.  Also, the lack of blade exposure makes it nearly impossible to cut yourself.  Other than an intentional sideways slicing stroke, I would say it is impossible!  My wife was blown away by how easy it was to shave her legs and she feels it is the best razor she has ever used.  The head design forces the correct shaving angle! I like handles that are 90 to 100mm, so for me the handle length (95mm) is perfect. In the future, it may be in Henson's best interest to offer a shorter handle option for their razor, since many traditional wet shavers prefer short handles.

This razor was not designed for the experienced DE or SE shaver who wants blade feel and the challenge of giving oneself a BBS in one or two passes.  It was designed for NEW DE wet shavers.  IMHO, you have lost the right to make razor recommendations to new wet shavers unless you have tried this razor.  IMHO this is "THE ONE" for newbies.  Even with super bad technique, the beginner should end up with a DFS... and after a few shaves will be an expert with this razor.  Remember, everyone has to start somewhere and having success will keep a new wet shaver in the game.

So, how did it work for me?  1st pass WTG: As can be expected, more stubble than with a razor with more blade exposure and gap.  2nd pass ATG: Better than I expected, and for most young people (20's)....Done!  3rd pas XTG:  Finished to a DFS.  4th pass "cleanup with skin stretching":  Literally, a BBS finish as good as any DE or SE can provide.  I can do the same thing and get the same result with a Superspeed, DE89, Merkur 34C, RR Mamba or RR GC.  The difference is that the Henson can be used like a cartridge:  Shaving quickly and adding pressure, without any risk of weepers, irritation or razor burn.  It is a smooth shaver and provides a very clean and comfortable "risk free" shave.
  I did turn the handle 1/2 to 3/4 turns while shaving and this increased the aggressiveness "slightly" (you must have a blade in the razor).  The built-in tungsten washer is nothing short of brilliant (from an engineer's perspective).  IMHO this razor can be used with any reasonable quality DE blade.  Blades are very subjective, but this razor should do well with nearly all blades sold by mainstream vendors.  Don't tell anyone, but I actually pushed the limit and "dry shaved" with it as a test (no weepers, no blood!)

Was it more work to a BBS than using an aggressive razor with a light touch...YES.  But most new shavers do not have the experience or technique to get to BBS.

Are there any "cons"?  Yes.  The razor does require rinsing more frequently than say a Timeless, Progress, RR Mamba RR GC, etc...since the channels are relatively small.  It rinses well with running water or with a good swish in a bowl.  It is a "mild" razor and requires
 more time to a BBS finish.  It is aluminum and will not have the "service life" of a stainless razor.  Aluminum with an anodized finish is more sensitive to wear than most people realize (only affects appearance, not performance).

The bottom line is that I am more than impressed with the Henson.  I have no idea how they came up with this design, or how they found a precision manufacturer to make it a reality.  I would be very interested in the back story of how they did it.  The Henson designers were either very lucky or very good engineers.  It is a reasonably priced entry razor with an innovative design, and very high quality machining.
For me, it is fun as hell to use and will always be in my rotation.  I will be recommending this razor to newbies and plan to purchase several for give-aways.  This is THE BEST DE razor for newbies, hands down.  I wish Henson Shaving the best, and hope their business model allows them a very LONG TERM success.

0 4
 09-18-2020, 12:44 PM
User Info
Adding my 2 shaves here:

Thursday September 17, 2020

Razor: Henson AL13 (1st USE)
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Graydog Quilt
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: CHH Tobacco
Fragrance: Mr Burberry

Saw some love for Palmolive was going around lately which caused me to grab my stick of it from it's Colgate & Co. Tin and get the great lather it always produces. It was brought to that with the help of 1 of my all time favorite brushes from Steve Graydog

So on to the razor. A new Aluminum razor that I joined a pass around and then couldn't pass up a deal from Mark Shavemd in a BST sale. Yep, fell for the pass around trap again............. I don't like aluminum razors normally because I prefer some weight/heft to my razors and I do like a mid-aggressive but smooth razor. This is a light and MILD shaver that is easy to find the angle but also for me easy to lose it due to the lack of blade feel. A thinner lather helps this razor do it's job. While shaving I was thinking, This feels like I'm running a Trac II over my face but much preferred it over the cart. It was MUCH more efficient and rinsed clean with ease. I enjoyed the near mindless shave and with attention to clean up and adding a little pressure was able to get a very close shave with ZERO irritation. This razor was designed and brought to market for new converts from carts and the Henson has nailed what they were shooting for. I will probably play with the turning the handle back a little (1/2 -3/4 turn) to add aggression to it as some have and see if it helps or hinders the shave for me. On their site I see a choice between a mild and a medium aggression level. Not sure which this is or what the difference is. I can see keeping it around for occasional use and possibly a travel razor. It's a good looking razor and the tolerances it is machined to are spot on. Blade loads with ease and is secure with zero play. The end tabs of the blade are covered if that is a concern of yours. The built in Tungsten washer to protect the bottom of the base plate from scarring when threading on the handle is a very nice touch. Hensontech Nice job Henson !

Topped off with the Aftershave from @Maryland998 He describes it as a basic drugstore aftershave in Germany. I guess a Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva from the states would be a comparison. Sounds good to me and was a nice one that did the job and dried down to feel good and well absorbed into the skin. Thanks again Ken, it's "Skippy" to me. Have a great day Nookers !!
[Image: L13A4nf.jpg]

Friday September 18, 2020

Razor: Henson AL13 Medium Plate
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Smattayu Sorrentino Cadre Member Brush
Soap: CBL Orange Dirt
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Terre D'Hermes
Fragrance: Terre D'Hermes

Day 2 with the Henson razor and I decided to amp the efficiency up with a 1/2 turn as some have recommended. Well the 1st stroke with it like that let me know it may be more efficient as it had a definite blade feel now and actually felt harsh. Gone was the smoothness that was manufactured into it. Perhaps others that did the turn out had the mild plate instead of the medium plate. It would help if people indicate which they are using when posting to remove confusion. I am one that doesn't mind a touch of blade feel and efficiency but want it with smoothness. I'd rather take the original designed smoothness and a little more clean up to get my desired outcome. I did my 1st and 2nd pass (wtg & xtg) with the 1/2 turn but for the atg final pass went back to a properly tightened razor and immediately found the smoothness again built into this thing. If they come out with a Titanium or Tungsten model as they are indicating, I'm in the market for sure. A more aggressive plate would be nice too but ONLY if it has the smoothness built into it as well. That's it for me. I'm not big on aluminum razors but this will be my sole aluminum razor in the den as a keeper. Have a great day Nookers !!!

[Image: aV8LoNb.jpg]

6 438
 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Today, first contact with Henson Shaving AL13 Dual Tone RBR.
[Image: KP8pMFNm.jpg]

Very impressed !!!
Similar to nothing I've used before.
Actually I feel this is a real AL13N shave ...
Tongue

0 2,270