09-20-2020, 08:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
During the best of times, the last place I want to visit is the DMV. During a pandemic? Hell no. I had a bit of a dilemma as my drivers license is up for renewal. While I can renew my license online, I would have to go into the DMV if I wanted a Real-ID.

I found a work around. I renewed my license online and will get a passport card instead of a Real-ID drivers license. It is the size of a credit card, is good for ten years and satisfies all the requirements of a Real-ID. You can thank me later.

See Here

53 21,655
 09-20-2020, 03:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, this is very good advice.

I renewed my license last January. This was when Governor Cuomo and the NY State legislature granted amnesty to people without proper ID (still scratching my head over that one). The lines were ridiculous! No kidding, the serpentine was unlike anything I’d ever seen before.

19 4,550
 09-20-2020, 05:14 PM
User Info
Just renewed my license last month at the DMV here in Northern California, it was a piece of cake. My best DMV experience ever. Your mileage may vary.

13 1,950
 09-20-2020, 05:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-20-2020, 05:14 PM)number six Wrote: Just renewed my license last month at the DMV here in Northern California, it was a piece of cake. My best DMV experience ever. Your mileage may vary.

Even with an appointment, you are looking at 2 to 3 hours in Los Angeles and that is if you can actually get an appointment. I hear it is better in the antelope valley or Palm Springs but, who wants to make that drive?

53 21,655
 09-20-2020, 08:07 PM
User Info
Yeah, I just found out about the passport card when I had to renew my passport. Great little things. Especially when you are in a foreign country, it's a hassle to carry around your passport. Having a plastic card with all of your details, just like a drivers license, is incredibly handy. Highly recommend that anyone renewing their passport pay the extra amount to get one of these.

1 47
 09-20-2020, 09:09 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(09-20-2020, 08:07 PM)Zhang Doe Wrote: Yeah, I just found out about the passport card when I had to renew my passport. Great little things. Especially when you are in a foreign country, it's a hassle to carry around your passport.

That's not entirely true.  The card is only valid for North America (and Mexico).  Going to Europe?  Need the full book.

"The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel."
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/.../card.html

49 2,170
 09-21-2020, 03:36 AM
User Info
(09-20-2020, 09:09 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 08:07 PM)Zhang Doe Wrote: Yeah, I just found out about the passport card when I had to renew my passport. Great little things. Especially when you are in a foreign country, it's a hassle to carry around your passport.

That's not entirely true.  The card is only valid for North America (and Mexico).  Going to Europe?  Need the full book.

"The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel."
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/.../card.html

You're right in that it doesn't replace a passport for Customs / Immigration purposes. But for walking around town, it should be good enough in case you run into an issue in a foreign country and police ask for ID.

1 47