09-21-2020, 04:47 PM
User Info
Shark and Derby were the first blades I used when I started. Basically beccause they got decent reviews and were cheap. I didn't experiment much with blades back then, but have since grown to love Gillette Nacets, PolSilvers, and Feather Hi-Stainless.  I'm going to try the Shark tomorrow and see how it works for me now that I have more experience with different blades as well as razors. [b]It also turns out they are not a whole lot much cheaper than the Nacets, so the Shark will really have to be impressive. How was your experience with Shark blades?[/b]

[Image: 23Jf1aR.jpg]
[Image: GlSeb05.jpg]

2 147
 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Like you I used them back in the day - 2010 or thereabouts.  I found them much better than the Derbies & Merkur blades I had re-started DE shaving with circa 2008 or so.  Then I settled for a long time on Feathers, tried some of the blade de jour stuff here and there - Polsilvers, Personna Meds, etc.  I also have a serious love for old Plus Platinums, but my stash won't take me to the end (or at least I don't think so)

At any rate, I recalled the Sharks fondly and just recently came across some to try.  Still pretty sharp, they don't last like the Plus Plats, but for me compete well with the Feathers without being quite as sharp.  My recent experience was positive, hope your's turns out well

73 729
 09-21-2020, 06:04 PM
User Info
(09-21-2020, 05:56 PM)garyg Wrote: Like you I used them back in the day - 2010 or thereabouts.  I found them much better than the Derbies & Merkur blades I had re-started DE shaving with circa 2008 or so.  Then I settled for a long time on Feathers, tried some of the blade de jour stuff here and there - Polsilvers, Personna Meds, etc.  I also have a serious love for old Plus Platinums, but my stash won't take me to the end (or at least I don't think so)

At any rate, I recalled the Sharks fondly and just recently came across some to try.  Still pretty sharp, they don't last like the Plus Plats, but for me compete well with the Feathers without being quite as sharp.  My recent experience was positive, hope your's turns out well

My initial experience was good. I got a BBS shave in 3 passes with my Merkur 38C back around 2010. I think I will get a good shave since I had before, but how long they last will remain to be seen. I also now get the same shave in 2 passes. I am going to try it in an open comb razor that is pretty aggressive and we will see. I haven't had the courage to try a Feather in it yet.  Laughing1

2 147
 09-21-2020, 06:08 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've a pretty rough old beard, always figure razors to be like knives - it is the dull ones that are dangerous.  Never have had a problem with a Feather in most anything, but my hide isn't very tender

73 729
 09-21-2020, 06:08 PM
User Info
A like the SS version a bit better. I dislike DE feathers very very much. Like nacets polsilvers, gillette platinums and kais. Also some of the non gillette russians are good.

9 1,611
 09-21-2020, 06:32 PM
User Info
(09-21-2020, 06:08 PM)garyg Wrote: I've a pretty rough old beard, always figure razors to be like knives - it is the dull ones that are dangerous.  Never have had a problem with a Feather in most anything, but my hide isn't very tender

That is a good way to put it and very true. I very, very rarely get nicked with any blade. If I do, it is very minor. And rare.

2 147
 09-21-2020, 06:33 PM
User Info
(09-21-2020, 06:08 PM)lloydrm Wrote: A like the SS version a bit better. I dislike DE feathers very very much. Like nacets polsilvers, gillette platinums and kais. Also some of the non gillette russians are good.

I have shaved about 5 times with the Feather and do like them. My first favorite bladé was the Gillette Nacet which I still like very much. A steal for the money and quality. I did get ahold of some PolSilvers and liked them as well.

2 147
 09-21-2020, 08:52 PM
User Info
My experience with sharks were that they bite! Biggrin   I moved on pretty quick

[Image: cdf138fcc94c28f0f6eb1f8ff0108b76.gif]

36 2,151
 09-21-2020, 09:15 PM
User Info
(09-21-2020, 08:52 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: My experience with sharks were that they bite! Biggrin   I moved on pretty quick

[Image: cdf138fcc94c28f0f6eb1f8ff0108b76.gif]

Laughing1 I'll see tomorrow. I haven't shaved with them in some time.  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

2 147
 09-22-2020, 02:31 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
In the beginning, I bought a few samplers to try out blades. I remember sharks being a little rough for my rookie technique. I settled on astra and would try other blades when I had time to take my time and evaluate. Nacent, and polsilver made the rotation, then gillette wilkinson sword from india and permasharp joined the party.

0 482
 09-22-2020, 06:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I added Shark blades to my shop about 11 years ago. To say they are a disappointing seller is an understatement. They ended up mainly being filler for sampler packs.

53 21,655
 09-22-2020, 09:26 AM
User Info
(09-22-2020, 06:18 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I added Shark blades to my shop about 11 years ago. To say they are a disappointing seller is an understatement. They ended up mainly being filler for sampler packs.

Sorry to hear that. I thought they seemed to be popular blades, at least around 10 years ago.

2 147
 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM
User Info
(09-22-2020, 02:31 AM)RyznRio Wrote: In the beginning, I bought a few samplers to try out blades. I remember sharks being a little rough for my rookie technique. I settled on astra and would try other blades when I had time to take my time and evaluate. Nacent, and polsilver made the rotation, then gillette wilkinson sword from india and permasharp joined the party.

I also started with the Sharks and some Derby blades. Currently Nacet and PolSilvers are definitely heavily rotated for me. I tried the Wilkinsons, but it has been some years since. Astra blades are the only ones so far I have really had minor issues with personally. I know they are relatively popular with a lot of folks and thats great. Whatever works best for you personally is what matters.

2 147
 09-22-2020, 09:32 AM
User Info
I have to say there is little to complain about. I got the shave I wanted, if maybe in some spots the Shark wasn't as smooth as maybe it could have been. My only compliant so far is when applying alcohol based post shave products I did have some burning in spots. I have used this razor before and that has not been problem before. Other than that, I am satisfied and feel I got a great shave. Closer than my last with my Feather blade, but then the Feather raw son it's 6th shave at the time (2 passes with touch ups). Down the road we will se how many shaves I get and if I reorder them as they are incredibly close in price to the Nacet blades. 

2 147
 09-24-2020, 09:50 AM
User Info
Just tried this blade again in a less aggressive razor. Definitely much less efficient. I got close, but needed more touch ups than usual. A Tad more irritation as well.

2 147