09-30-2012, 02:14 PM
User Info
Hello gents,

During last summer in a small antiques fair y found 5 different double edge blade that according to the vendor are from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Here they are:

1. DE blades "Iberia de Lujo". Made in Spain during the 30's by Basat S.A. in Barcelona. 6 blades still unused from the 10 blades pack.
[Image: iberialujo2.th.jpg]
[Image: iberialujo1.th.jpg]

2. DE blades "SEVILLANA". Also, made in Spain by the same company as "Iberia de Lujo", Basat S.A. during the 30's.
[Image: sevillana2.th.jpg]
[Image: sevillana1a.th.jpg]
[Image: sevillana1.th.jpg]

3. DE blades "Robuso Solingen". Made in Germany during the 30's and 40's. I took the complete box of 100 blades still unused. The packs of 10 blades still have the plastic cover.
[Image: robuso1.th.jpg]
[Image: robuso2.th.jpg]

4. DE blades "Tris". Made in Italy during the 50's. Licenza Brevetto Italiano Nº294.111. Also, the original box with the 100 blades unsed.

[Image: tris2l.th.jpg]
[Image: tris3.th.jpg]
[Image: tris1.th.jpg]

5. Last but not least, Puma "Solingen. Made in Germany. I've not been able to find years when they were produced. They come in a container. The container has a box to keep the use blades. On top of the box is says "lame usata" which means used blades in Italian. Blades made in Germany and the container in Italy?

[Image: puma3i.th.jpg]
[Image: puma2d.th.jpg]
[Image: puma1ro.th.jpg]

I'm sure someone has some more information about them.

2 154
 09-30-2012, 04:46 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great find! Do you plan on shaving with them? I would be very interested in hearing how they work especially the Puma's.

45 3,955
 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM
User Info
(09-30-2012, 04:46 PM)tgutc Wrote: Great find! Do you plan on shaving with them? I would be very interested in hearing how they work especially the Puma's.

I will try some of them. Not the ones that there's just 3 or 5 blades left, I prefer to keep those unused but the ones that I have several packs I will give a try. I want to try with the old open comb DE razor I have also from those years. You can see that DE razor on the picture below (picture is not great, I'll try to post a bigger image!)...

[Image: fotoweb.th.jpg]

2 154
 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
I don't post this to rain on your parade, but you should know this heading in...

I've tried many carbon steel blades and I have never found a single one that even came close to a modern Carbon Steel or SS blade. Carbon Steel blades can be fantastic.

I have no idea if they were clueless back then, weren't capable of making a sharp blade, or, more likely, the blades have invisible rust on the ultra sharp edge required for a good shave.

I blame old Carbon Steel blades that I bought at my pharmacy almost 50 years ago on my first aborted attempt at blade shaving. They micro rust in a heartbeat from atmospheric moisture.

But I appreciate the spirit in you that wants to try the old blades since it's in me as well. I just don't want you to try to get a great shave out of a blade that shows it's terrible in the first stroke. There is no shame in recognizing a "once might have been a good blade, but no longer is", changing it out with a good one and finishing the shave.

32 6,301