10-01-2012, 05:11 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I bought a Shaving Factory (Ming Shi) tto razor some months ago at ebay. The razor was later given to a friend and i just discovered that i have a package of some blades called Lolex platinum stainless blades that was included. Forgot all about them after putting them on a shelf.

Now,I have a feeling that with a name like that i shouldnt expect anything at all, so i wonder if anyone else have tried them?

Is they better than they sound? I plan to test them in a few days in my NEW anyway. Just curious.

0 284
 10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I would stay away from them...maybe good for opening letters...

86 7,123
 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Smooth opener then, with Platinum i guess. Wink
But i´m curious to. And they possible couldnt be worse than those Supermax stainless or Dorco blades.

0 284
 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
User Info
Johan, there is only one way to find out! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Maybe I am too judgmental but the fact that they're Chinese and to a lesser extent, having a name that partially consists of "lol" just sounds like a bad experience waiting to happen. You never know though, could be the best blade you've ever tried...lol

31 1,510
 10-01-2012, 11:20 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
...Or the worst. Well in a few days, i´m going to try them anyway and will post here later. Then we see who gets the last Lol(ex). (Probably the chinese productionplant)

0 284
 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Good point!
I was surprised that the Supermax Stainless and the Platinum's were so bad considering the Super Platinum is so good.

Please report back on the LoL's Smile

(10-01-2012, 12:26 PM)Johan Wrote: Smooth opener then, with Platinum i guess. Wink
But i´m curious to. And they possible couldnt be worse than those Supermax stainless or Dorco blades.

6 905
 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Tell you what. I think i try it out tommorow aldready! Best to do it with my NEW. So if i´m not laying on the floor bleeding ot death, i´ll post about the experience. ;-)

Ahh reminds of a song

0 284
 10-03-2012, 03:13 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Well now i´ve shaved with one of these blades in my NEW. And to my suprise it was actually very good. I think it was sharp blade and even more importantly it was really smooth. No tugging or anything. And after the usual 2 wtg passes i do with the NEW, i had a clean result without any irriation at all.

So i got a close but gentle shave. And i will surely use the other 4 thats left. Cant help to wonder if this Lolex is a rebranded chinese premium bladed. Theres a thread on the TSR forum about chinese blades and apperantly the razormaker Ming Shi have aleast one very good blade.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-15496.html

And with such a big market for de safety razors over there, there just must be some hidden treasures.

0 284
 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Day 2. I got a damn fine shave. Just as close as any of my other blades (and in class with my Supermax BlueDiamond, my golden standard) and smoother than most things i´ve tried. This is actually a very good blade and i really wish i knew more about it. Now i dont know if it works extra well in a NEW and havent tried it yet in anything else but if i found a reseller i would probably buy a couple of hundred. They are so good. :yho:

0 284
 10-05-2012, 01:27 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
Day 3. Well now i could feel a little bit of tugging at the first pass and after 2 wtg i got a very small but notible less close shave. Still smooth and irriation free though. I could try a 4th time but i have a feeling i wont be satisfied with the result. So this ends the test.

Short. 2 very shaves + 1 good. Not bad for a blade with a funny name! Thumbsup

0 284
 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Well, initially, I was surprised even if it's 3 and out or even 2 and out. I only get two decent shave from a Feather blade anyway and then it's weeper city.

I shouldn't be surprised based on country of origin because the Schick Injector blades from China are excellent.

6 905
 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
I was suprised to. And one other thing i found out yesterday. Dont you think the design of those packages are very similar. Could mean anything or nothing ofcourse. But its quite funny i think.

[Image: bCUch.jpg]

[Image: WFr5W.jpg]

0 284
 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM
User Info
I have a differnet perspective on Chinese shaving products.

I consider blades as medical equipment as they can cut the skin and get in toucn with the bloodstream.
Chinese toys were found to contain Cadmium and Chinese baby formula makers used melamine to cut costs.
I can not see myslef ever using Chinese products in shaving. By the same token, we don't get medical supplies in the US that are made in China nor generic drugs.

The reasont for that is that manufactures in China are regulated by party/military officials. Those are easy to bribe if they are not already co-owners in the factory.

6 808
 10-07-2012, 02:00 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
If you want modern Schick Injector blades, your only choices are the Chinese Schicks or the Personna's which as I understand it, are the same as the Ted Pella blades.
The problem that I had with the Personna's was the injector system. I had to wrangle with it to get the blade in the razor and I was afraid to mangle the razor head because of that.
The Ted Pella's come without an injector system requiring one to load an empty injector cartridge.

So, that leaves me with the only modern option, the Chinese Schick blades. I like them and have not had any problems so far.

I could go the vintage blade route but that can get really costly and it can be hit and miss for availability.

If the blade is Stainless Steel, or even better, coated in something/multiple things, I would figure that we are OK. YMMV. Smile

6 905
 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I think the NY street venders sell "Genuine Lolex" watches (http://www.tradekey.com/selloffer_view/id/2092427.htm)

Cucci purses too!

Dodgy

1 108
 10-09-2012, 07:37 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-09-2012, 07:34 AM)MikeGJ Wrote: I think the NY street venders sell "Genuine Lolex" watches (http://www.tradekey.com/selloffer_view/id/2092427.htm)

Cucci purses too!

Dodgy

Cucci..lmao

31 1,510
 10-15-2012, 02:40 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
I had a very nice shave today with a Krona and one of these blades. I still dream of finding out a source for these blades since i have found them very sharp and smooth.

Now nothing comes up if you search on the name Lolex on google (except this thread ofcourse ;-) ), but if you search for the number printed on the package and blade, s-926. Several different chinese brands shows up.

All have in common that they are stainless steel blades triple coated with Chrome, Telfon and Nitrogen. Look at these: [Image: mcbCK.jpg]

http://solinrazor.en.ec21.com/Double_edg...79306.html
They have the same package but the name. Clearly very inspired of Dorco St-300 platinum. Could it be that this is just the same blade as those Lolex but under a different brand? I´m not that keen of ordering 10.000 blades for a fortune, to find out. ;-)

0 284