10-11-2020, 03:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Greetings, fellow shavers. Unless I’m mistaken, there seems to be limited and vaguely sporadic conversation in regards to shimming razors. There’s this: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=61419, this: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=4676&highlight=Shim, this: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=19160&highlight=Shim and this: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=5010&highlight=Shim, but little else.

Fellow shavers, I stand before you as a humble devotee of the brilliant shim. It’s use has improved my satisfaction with the overall results of my daily shaves. It deftly improves the performance of so many razors. I’ve realized its brilliance in old Techs and Super Speeds. In these vintage gems, efficiency and smoothness are greatly compounded via the shim. Post shave irritation in that sensitive lower neck region is seemingly banished forever. The shim holds magical, nearly mystical power to turn an ordinary, run of the mill double edge razor into a shining beacon of shavealiciousness! Indeed, there are those among us who openly speak of using double shims. These are shavers who have taken their ritual to an altogether ethereal plane.

Bow   Bow   Bow

Fellow shavers, join me in the continuing quest for better shaves. Join me in pursuit of shaveana. Join me in a Brotherhood of Shim Shavers. You can realize the perfect shave. It is within your reach. Join me in praise of the humble shim!

[Image: JRM9o05.gif]

19 4,557
 10-12-2020, 04:52 AM
User Info
The only razor I shim is my 1908 Gillette Single Ring. I guess my theory is that when this razor was manufactured, the thickness of those old carbon steel blades was significantly greater than today's modern blade. Now, I guess the jury's still out whether or not the shimming facilitates a better shave, seeing as I was able to always get a great shave pre-shim.  Doubt

84 6,349
 10-12-2020, 05:06 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-12-2020, 04:52 AM)primotenore Wrote: The only razor I shim is my 1908 Gillette Single Ring. I guess my theory is that when this razor was manufactured, the thickness of those old carbon steel blades was significantly greater than today's modern blade. Now, I guess the jury's still out whether or not the shimming facilitates a better shave, seeing as I was able to always get a great shave pre-shim.  Doubt

Fair point. I agree that great shaves are attainable without a shim, and have achieved a plethora of great shaves sans shim. What I’m saying is that these old razors simply work more efficiently and seem to be smoother with, rather than without said shim.

So whaddya say, Gents? Will you join me in this noble quest? Who’s with me? Who’s BOSS?

19 4,557
 10-12-2020, 08:25 AM
User Info
Do you need to get Bruce Springsteen's approval?

67 1,982
 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-12-2020, 08:25 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Do you need to get Bruce Springsteen's approval?

Nope. All are welcome. No entrance fee, no drawn out approval process. Just show your card (pick a card, any card!) at the door and you’re in. It’s as simple as that. Be BOSS.

19 4,557
 10-12-2020, 05:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The shim worked perfectly in the iKon B1OSS. The comb side was smoother and the bar side was more efficient. Another great shave, another testimonial to the mighty shim.

19 4,557
 10-14-2020, 06:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Huh...

I was hoping to

[Image: ibrzqCk.jpg]

I’m getting a vibe. Feeling alone. Like a brother without a hood.

[Image: IULfHmX.jpg]

Paul Simon said it quite poetically...

[Image: mofCrZb.jpg]

Fine. Be that way.

[Image: 0oCn4N0.jpg]

I was really hoping to say

[Image: 2rdc5Zy.jpg]

Won’t you please, please 

[Image: bI7uZd7.jpg]

Meeeee?!?

[Image: mJ4HiyJ.jpg]

Hank ya furry mush

[Image: EgD3KMW.jpg]

19 4,557
 10-14-2020, 06:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
 10-14-2020, 07:47 PM
User Info
I shimmed the Tech I got from you (at least I think I did!). I will try it tomorrow and see how it works. I was going to today but time just wasn't on my side.

2 143
 10-15-2020, 03:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-14-2020, 07:47 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: I shimmed the Tech I got from you (at least I think I did!). I will try it tomorrow and see how it works. I was going to today but time just wasn't on my side.

Completely understand. Time is the single greatest gift a person could hope to receive.

Those prewar Techs take it up a notch when shimmed, imo. How did it go, Mike?

19 4,557
 10-15-2020, 03:54 PM
User Info
(10-15-2020, 03:39 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 07:47 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: I shimmed the Tech I got from you (at least I think I did!). I will try it tomorrow and see how it works. I was going to today but time just wasn't on my side.

Completely understand. Time is the single greatest gift a person could hope to receive.

Those prewar Techs take it up a notch when shimmed, imo. How did it go, Mike?

It went well. Got a super close 2 pass shave. I'm guessing the point is to increase blade gap making the razor slightly more aggressive or efficient. What hasn't ceased to amaze me yet is how smooth and comfortable this razor shaves. Amazing for being 75-82 years old. I guess it's true what they say, "They just don't make them like that anymore!".

2 143
 10-15-2020, 04:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-15-2020, 03:54 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: It went well. Got a super close 2 pass shave. I'm guessing the point is to increase blade gap making the razor slightly more aggressive or efficient. What hasn't ceased to amaze me yet is how smooth and comfortable this razor shaves. Amazing for being 75-82 years old. I guess it's true what they say, "They just don't make them like that anymore!".

I think Primo hit it on the head above. The increased mass more likely closely resembles the blades that were in production when the razors were made.

19 4,557
 10-16-2020, 02:54 AM
User Info
(10-15-2020, 04:50 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 03:54 PM)Mike Distress Wrote: It went well. Got a super close 2 pass shave. I'm guessing the point is to increase blade gap making the razor slightly more aggressive or efficient. What hasn't ceased to amaze me yet is how smooth and comfortable this razor shaves. Amazing for being 75-82 years old. I guess it's true what they say, "They just don't make them like that anymore!".

I think Primo hit it on the head above. The increased mass more likely closely resembles the blades that were in production when the razors were made.

A6

84 6,349
 10-16-2020, 03:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Great setup, right?

19 4,557
 10-16-2020, 05:04 AM
User Info
You keep feeding me and I'll keep 'em coming...

84 6,349
 10-16-2020, 07:08 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-16-2020, 05:04 AM)primotenore Wrote: You keep feeding me and I'll keep 'em coming...

[Image: BwE3qiL.jpg]

19 4,557
 10-17-2020, 10:11 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I shave daily, I've been using shims for years (cut the blade edge off, it takes a few seconds, I have 4-5 shims lying around, haven't cut one in years). A shim has only one purpose and that is to give more blade exposure by raising the blade up a blade notch. I have found it doesn't change the shaving smoothness of the razor, it just creates a bit more blade and can improve efficency that your looking for in certain razors that you feel needs a little something axtra to become that razor you want to keep.

Example, I have a Wolf 86 which was not efficient enough for me, so I put in a shim which brought the Wolf to a 96, by doing that it became a dream razor for me. I use a shim in my Gillette Old Type Ball End in which I also change out the handle for a SS Stork Aristocrat (90 x 13) which gives me better balance and control and with a shim i get great shaves with this set up. I use a shim in my BBS1 and PAA SS Ascension, using a shim in the Ascension was a bit of a challenge at first but what a great smooth shave I now get with this razor, I also switched out the handle for a 90 x 14 titanium. I do not use a shim in my WW1 J series Old Type Ball End or CG L3 DC, these are perfect for me without a shim. I do not use a shim with a CG L3 DC, a 84 Jaws or a Tatara Nodachi OC.

If I had CG L1 and wanted a level 2 I would use a shim. Any razor that I like but was not getting the shave I wanted I would try a shim to see if it improves the shaving performance for me. There is no one size fits all in razors not even in adjustables. 

If I was using the Feather AS D2 and loved it but wanted it to be more efficient with a drop more blade feel, yet did not want to start experimenting by throwing money at buying razors. I would try a shim to get the next level of efficiency and yet still keep the smoothness of the shave so, this way I can make a informed decision, do I want to keep this razor or not and have a better understanding on what I'm looking for in a shave from a razor.

Experimenting with a shim is a cheap, good and quick way to better understand a razor's shaving characteristics and its capabilities and is also a cheap way in becoming a better shaver. Just my opinion.

65 822
 10-17-2020, 03:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Steven, thanks for your insights. You seem to have experienced positive results in many different razors. Your comments regarding shimming modern shavers are appreciated. I must revisit a few of my modern razors again.

I have found that shimming my more aggressive razors such as .84 GC and NEW for example, has yielded less impressive results than when shimming the less aggressive razors such as the Techs and Flair Tip. Still want to play with a shim in my Red Tip and SA. I’ll keep you posted  Thumbsup

19 4,557
 10-18-2020, 05:46 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(10-17-2020, 03:05 PM)chazt Wrote: Steven, thanks for your insights. You seem to have experienced positive results in many different razors. Your comments regarding shimming modern shavers are appreciated. I must revisit a few of my modern razors again.

I have found that shimming my >aggressive razors such as .84 GC and NEW for example, has yielded less impressive results than when shimming the

Thank you for a great discussion/thread.

65 822
 10-19-2020, 03:34 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Shaved with a shim in the NEW at 9Pm, it’s now 7:15AM. The shave was an exercise in slow restraint and negative pressure. My results were, I feel, very impressive. There’s now just a hint of stubble below my jawline when feeling atg, my cheeks and mustache area are still solidly dfs+, bordering on bbs. Post shave included cold water rinse followed by alum, witch hazel, then Snake Bite, finally a bit of shea butter. There was a little bit of hello! with the alum, but by the time I applied the splash my nerve endings had calmed to normal. This was my second trial using a shim in the NEW. It deserves another go before I make any real decision on whether I like this one shimmed. It may not really need one for me to achieve the kind of results I like. Next time, back to a Tech.

19 4,557