10-31-2020, 04:14 PM
User Info
The other day I went through a thought exercise that was both fun and frustrating. I imagined that I lost every single piece of my shaving gear - all of it: razors & handles, blades, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, bowls, travel-kit... everything. If I had to rebuild my shave den from scratch, right now, how would I go about that? Here are some of the questions that I attempted to answer:

1. What specific items would I purchase?
2. Some of my previous den items are no longer available or in general circulation; would I even attempt to source them?
3. Knowing what I know now, would I purchase less [razors, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.]?
4. Given current shipping times and production cycles, even replacement items that I could source  wouldn’t reach me for a week at the earliest, months for others. What would I shave with in the meantime?
5. What is readily obtainable near me that I could use to shave with tomorrow morning? Or would I just grow a beard until I rebuilt a quality kit?

How would you rebuild your shave den from scratch?

-

36 2,160
 10-31-2020, 04:16 PM
User Info
My answers to these questions.
Overall, I’d buy a lot less. Many soaps, aftershaves, and even one of my favorite balms are no longer in production and unavailable. Many items aren’t currently available - and I’d have to wait some time to receive them. My UFO handle is almost certainly irreplaceable and I’d have to ultimately choose something else. While I’d end up with a small rotation of brushes, I’d still own less going forward (no duplicates).

“Short term” or “shave tomorrow” kit
I’d model this after my travel kit, but I’d need to search what is available within a 25 mile radius for pickup today. That limits things significantly.
Pre: Whole Foods glycerine soap bar
Razor: Gillette sensor proglide
Soap: perhaps cremo shave cream
Aftershave: aqua velva, nivea balm
One Tupperware bowl used to agitate & rinse the razor in-between passes

The real problem here is shave soap - as most of my local suppliers prefer to stock shave cream, foams, and gels that are consumed rapidly (and thus necessitate frequent repurchases). I’ve never used cremo, but it’s the only recognizable option near me available right now. My only other option would be to order a beard trimmer with 2-day shipping and use that until better options arrived - but that doesn’t let me shave for up to 4-5 days.

“Long term replacement” kit
I’d have to do the best I can with what’s available, settling for ordering items and waiting until others rotate into production again.
Bear trimmer: ConAir stubble trimmer (for the goatee)
Razor 1: above the tie SE1 stainless head (in stock); I’d have to find a new handle as the UFO grand titan L titanium I use is no longer in production.
Razor 2: asylum rx - out of stock. I’d put out a want to buy in the BST to see if I could shake something loose.
Blades: feather pro’s and pro supers - readily available
Soaps: a puck of mike’s lemongrass and eucalyptus (it’s the only one in stock), a puck of CRSW American barbershop, SV Felce or Cubebe
Aftershaves: witch hazel, matching SV aftershaves, fine L’Orange noir, platinum
Balms: thankfully ‘village barber’ is still readily available, as is Baume.be
Brushes: there is a black candidate Simpson’s chubby 2 Manchurian that I’d inquire about (re higher loft), as is a SV ivory/silver 2.0 brush

I’d have to buy a placeholder handle for the ATT SE1 until I could find something permanent that I liked.
I’d watch/wait/buy: CRSW Glide soaps, other Mike’s naturals scents, Paladin PK-47, Moe, Lotus (none are in stock)
I’d put out BST WTB for an asylum rx, a UFO handle
I’d consider commissioning a 28mm shavemac #183 handle in plexi if Bernd could do it again, and there is a M&F alibaba I’d commission at some point

36 2,160
 10-31-2020, 04:38 PM
User Info
I posted this on Halloween because it’s a truly... horrifying  thought!

(I’ll see myself out)

36 2,160
 10-31-2020, 05:45 PM
User Info
Interesting thought. I have been thinking about this, but in a different way. What would I tell myself if I could go back in time when I was having doubts about trying DE shaving. 

I would certainly have fewer brushes, fewer razors, fewer blades (because polsiver SI is no longer available) and very specific software. 

“Short term” or “shave tomorrow” kit

All these items are available in local stores within 6 km from me. This would hold me for a few days until I can acquire my preferred / long term stuff. 

Rockwell 2C or Parker Variant
Synthetic shaving brush

Astra green pack of blades
Nivea Aftershave balm with tea tree oil
Proraso green or white preshave
Pre de provence 63 shaving soap. 

“Long term”

Feather AS-D2
Gillette Slim
Stock up on Permsharp blades
Soaps : Declaration Grooming, Wickham Soap Company + 2 soaps I haven't tried
Balms: Highland Spring soap company aftershave balm, Wickham soap company aftershave balm, + 2 balms I haven't tried.  
Brushes: Semogue SOC 2 band, Custom badger and synthetic fibre brush, Stirling Kong or similar large synthetic brush for head shaving, a good quality synthetic shaving brush with good backbone. 

Would continue trying different soaps and balms, but limit / stop making hardware purchases.

0 158
 10-31-2020, 06:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Knowing what know now, I’d buy less and would not shave for a few days until I could assemble the following: DRH Arlington and Marlborough soaps, Snake Bite soap and aftershave, Proraso Red AS, Speick and Swiss Pitralon splashes, and 100 Israeli Personnas. I’d find an old Tech somewhere and would also order an inexpensive stainless steel razor, a Trafalgar 3, a 2-band Arley brush from Brad Sears and a 3-band in a fancy handle from Bob Quinn.

19 4,621
 11-01-2020, 04:31 PM
User Info
Razor: Att H1, Muhle R-41, Gillette Pre-War tech(for those days that I want to do an eyes-closed quick shave)
Blades: Lord Platinum or Rapira Platinum(I've never heard any rumors that either of those blades are being discontinued)
Soap:  MdC Rose
Brush: Zenith boar with the plastic handle($16 shipped to me) best boar brush I've used and Stirling Kong
AS:  Osage Rub.

That's it.

1 646
 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM
User Info
(10-31-2020, 04:14 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The other day I went through a thought exercise that was both fun and frustrating. I imagined that I lost every single piece of my shaving gear - all of it: razors & handles, blades, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, bowls, travel-kit... everything. If I had to rebuild my shave den from scratch, right now, how would I go about that? Here are some of the questions that I attempted to answer:

1. What specific items would I purchase?
2. Some of my previous den items are no longer available or in general circulation; would I even attempt to source them?
3. Knowing what I know now, would I purchase less [razors, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.]?
4. Given current shipping times and production cycles, even replacement items that I could source  wouldn’t reach me for a week at the earliest, months for others. What would I shave with in the meantime?
5. What is readily obtainable near me that I could use to shave with tomorrow morning? Or would I just grow a beard until I rebuilt a quality kit?

How would you rebuild your shave den from scratch?

-

That's interesting thought experiment.

[1] What specific items would I purchase?
  • Karve razors (OC and SC) with an F plate
  • GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip
  • My treasured Paladins: Falstaff and Beehives
  • My favourite Simpsons brushes: M7, Captain 2 and their cousin Rudy vey turned AS3M
  • The Semogue 2010 Limited Edition Silvertip and the 2012 TSN Limited Edition
  • A big box of MDC and a ceramic dish with MWF
  • An endless supply of Fredric Malle - Dries van Nooten edp
  • A life time supply of Feathers, Super Iridiums and Personna Med Preps

[2] Some of my previous den items are no longer available or in general circulation; would I even attempt to source them? 

I will not chase any specific item.
Should a Simpsons Custom B&B Eagle 3 in Best Badger from the JohnnieGold group buy be available, I'd love to buy it though.

[3] Knowing what I know now, would I purchase less [razors, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc.]?

Oh yes.
I keep a record of my purchases (here, if you are interested) and whereas my amount of lemons is small (like 10-15 items) in hindsight I see I have bought many more items than are really special or keepers. 

[4] Given current shipping times and production cycles, even replacement items that I could source  wouldn’t reach me for a week at the earliest, months for others. What would I shave with in the meantime? 

I would buy a few triple milled soaps probably Saponificio Varesino or MDC, and a Simpsons Trafalgar T2. 
And then a Pearl Semi Slant and a Muhle R89 as these are easily available.

[05] What is readily obtainable near me that I could use to shave with tomorrow morning? Or would I just grow a beard until I rebuilt a quality kit?

See above. No beard for me. 
Barbieredifigaro would probably deliver them over night, so really no reason not to shave.

0 795
 11-02-2020, 02:30 PM
User Info
Scary thought - losing shaving stuff.
What if COVID prevents us from importing from another country?
Is there a US made:
1) razor I'd buy - yes
2) Soap - yes
3) blade - yes
4) scuttle - yes
5) brush - yes
6) aftershave - yes
7) cologne - yes
So the next question: Do these US companies use US materials or do they go outside the US?

69 2,010
 11-02-2020, 06:38 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
So if the game is to not get stuff online (at least not initially, say a few weeks) I would get to CVS and get the 'Blade' DE and blades.  
Looks like another Weishi clone. 

Probably do like the OP and grab some Cremo - I had used that early on and it's OK - remarkably slick IIRC - if a bit heavy on the Pina Colada scent.  No brush needed.
CVS used to sell Van der Hagen and Williams, but seem to have juggled their stocks around.  Another option would be the Gillette creams in the tube.  Aqua Velva is a no-brainer too.  Maybe Nivea ASB.
If there's a Wegmans around, might try to get Kiss My Face SC if they still stock it. 

In the Short term - hmm....stuff that I could live with, readily available,  while whatever disaster passes...

EJ89 Barley or Merkur 23c
Proraso White cream -
Proraso White ASB
Proraso Green Splash
GSBs / Feathers / Personnas.  Wizamets or Super Iridiums if Lucky.

Longer term as either more funds or time/circumstances allow:

Classics:
Gillette Thin bar handle NEW LC or SC.  Ball-end in a pinch.
Single Ring and/or Old Type ball-end
Red Tip and/or late 40s/early 50s Super Speed
Schick Krona and an E or G injector w/Schick b-20 prolines
GEM Damaskeene - 1912 in a pinch, but really - Damaskeene

New builds:
Colonial General SS w/Feather Pros
ATT Atlas R1
Focus R28 Shavette
Feather AC SS
Rockwell 6S - but skip the 6C and Model-T
Feather AS-D2

Brushes/Software:
Savile Row Silvertip
Semogue 1305
TSS 'house' silvertip
MWF in the dish
MDC original, maybe Rose
Harris Marlborough, Arlington, Lavender, Almond
Tabac in the Opaline dish
Proraso Green and Pre-Post
Osma (the original) and Alum block
Swiss Pitralon AS splash

15 184
 11-22-2020, 09:41 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Razor: easy... just RR Lupo (aluminum)...pretty much the only thing I use now anyway. Can't remember the last time I used another razor.

Blades: easy... just Gillette Platinum...pretty much the only thing I use now anyway. Polsilver is the only other one I use.

Brush: definitely synthetic... many I could live with... I'd definitely want some variety...
PAA, Yaqi, and at least a couple more.
I do like my current stash of 12-13, but not sure all of them are necessary, if I'm rebuilding from scratch

Soap: I'd probably just do what I do now...that is, buy everything in sight.

Aftershave: I could use Fine Snake Bite for every shave, so I would buy that first... though I'd probably still buy a pretty large variety eventually, just for the sake of variety and pairing with soaps.

98 4,163
 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM
User Info
Well, one thing is certain.  Now that I have infinitely more knowledge from experience and time researching stuff I would avoid buying things that I know I won't use.    If I find that some of the items I had are difficult to find and being among my favorite things I would have no other option than to keep my eye out for them either in the wild or online.

2 393
 11-23-2020, 08:24 PM
User Info
There is no way I would ever be able to do this, but hypothetically:

Short tern (if in dire straits):
Kiss My Face cream ( as it is brushless, I wouldn't need a brush)
Cheap drugstore boar brush as I greatly enjoy face-lathering
Bic single blade razors
don't have to worry about post shave as organic unrefined shea butter is always available (well, i hope it will continue to be)

Long tern:
Blackbird (still very reliable to acquire)
If I couldn't get my Wizamet Iridium Supers, then I would go for Gillette Yellows, GSB, Perma Sharp Super
Mystic Water soap (still very reliable to acquire)
At a loss regarding brushes, but, honestly, Zenith boar 27-28 x 57mm for frugality, but would prefer and use 2-Bands (Shavemac D01 2-Band, especially)
organic unrefined shea butter, as always

92 21,355