10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I was at the local antique store this weekend picking up my Gillette Old I saw there the weekend before. I will post about the Gillette Old separately as it's pretty cool (unused head, i think). Anyway, I noticed a glass case with LOTS of straight razors, hones and some boxes with SE razors and a Bostonian set, which I almost grabbed, but the two corner teeth on the head were missing. I also saw for the first time in my life a Stahly cardboard box. Indeed, inside it I found a perfectly preserved hard clam shell case with a similarly perfectly preserved Stahly Live Blade razor. This is Model S6, which is imprinted on the red band around the wind up knob on the bottom. This thing is beautiful and it works or at least I was able to wind it up and feel it vibrate in my hand. The head is very funky with a pair of springs isolating safety bar from the blade. Everything is in perfect shape and the guy is asking $45 for it. I am kind of curious, but not $45 worth. If any one is looking for one of these, I can pick it up and ship it for cost. I just ask that I be allowed to try a shave with it first. The store is run by a very old retired gentleman and he is there only on weekends and when the weather is good (no precipitation since he puts a lot of his stuff outside). He'll also open by appointment. So, let me know if there is interest. As I said, he's got many SE's, which I know little about and lots of straights (also ignorant) and razor hones. The Bostonian set is in very good shape, but as I said the razor is missing two corner teeth and is a bit tarnished, but not badly. I almost bought it until I saw the broken teeth.

25 1,705
 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM
User Info
I have heard great things about the Stahly razor. Definitely on my short list of must buy. I have missed a few on the bay that where close to mint.

5 833
 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-01-2012, 07:58 PM)Azarius Wrote: I have heard great things about the Stahly razor. Definitely on my short list of must buy. I have missed a few on the bay that where close to mint.

Well, let me know if you want to try this one. $45 is not that bad if it's all that... This one is certainly minty. Looks unused, in fact. I think many of these have not seen much use. They were extremely expensive back in the day and may have been like that fur coat you only took out on special occasions. This one is still in the cardboard box over the hard case, so even the case looks new. It felt very strange in hand. The handle is way out of proportion with the head. I think the vibrating handle may be a gimmick, but the head looks totally cool and I would love to try the head on a nice non-vibrating handle like a Barley Chrome or one of the custom Bulldogs out there... It would look cool with a UFO. Anyway, if you want me to get it for you give me a PM and I'll get it. I am sure it will be there as it's in the case that is way obstructed by paintings and things. Probably been there for decades.

25 1,705
 09-11-2015, 06:10 PM
User Info
Found one of these at the antique store today... Don't know much about it but looks cool...
Does anyone know anything about it?

[Image: a20c9aff0ae72fb7cc229e45fe33497f.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 117
 09-11-2015, 07:35 PM
User Info
Can that head be transplanted to another handle?

24 228
 09-12-2015, 03:09 AM
User Info
I believe so. Believe it or not there was still a blade in it I uh unscrewed it and removed it so no one would be hurt. Came apart like most 3 piece razors

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

3 117
 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
(09-12-2015, 03:09 AM)txtag1 Wrote: I believe so.   Believe it or not there was still a blade in it I uh unscrewed it and removed it so no one would be hurt.    Came apart like most 3 piece razors

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

it's a nice shaving head, albeit quite mild. something about the spring loaded safety bar that makes it really smooth feeling on the face. 
it fits on any standard after market handle. 

a common problem with these heads is uneven blade gaps from side to side, I suppose because of the spring mounted bars.

1 1,103
 09-12-2015, 07:17 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The handle although quite bulky is built like an old watch...full of gears and springs...quite amazing actually . I somehow ended up with 3 of them and I only use the head  on a another handle....a good shaver .

6 1,913