11-12-2020, 11:32 AM
User Info
I'm new to DE razors and have a question about maintenance. Currently I dry off the outside of the razor after each use. I don't open it up to dry the blade and razor inside. Is this something I should be doing? Any tips would be appreciated.

0 2
 11-12-2020, 11:35 AM
User Info
(11-12-2020, 11:32 AM)ZaphodZ Wrote: I'm new to DE razors and have a question about maintenance. Currently I dry off the outside of the razor after each use. I don't open it up to dry the blade and razor inside. Is this something I should be doing? Any tips would be appreciated.

I used to do that also. Personally, I do believe you should open the razor after each use and dry the plate, cap, and blade. Of course, be super careful handing the blade.

2 170
 11-12-2020, 11:48 AM
User Info
(11-12-2020, 11:35 AM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 11:32 AM)ZaphodZ Wrote: I'm new to DE razors and have a question about maintenance. Currently I dry off the outside of the razor after each use. I don't open it up to dry the blade and razor inside. Is this something I should be doing? Any tips would be appreciated.

Personally, I do believe you should open the razor after each use and dry the plate, cap, and blade. Of course, be super careful handing the blade.

I agree with that advice.

2 9
 11-12-2020, 04:14 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think what you’re doing is fine. I only clean mine when I change the blade.

3 728
 11-12-2020, 06:12 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Depends on the razor for me. Most are just fine with a good rinse and wipe down with a microfiber cloth to easily remove water and residue. Some are a little more prone to trapping water and stubble so the blade gets loosened before the rinse and wipe, with a good solid shake or two for good measure. Very few get the full removal of the blade for a more thorough job. I prefer to handle blades as minimally as I can, just to be on the safe side. Ultimately, do what makes you feel good. Unless you plan to put a loaded razor away for extended periods before a full clean, or if you’re using razors with material prone to water damage beyond hard water spots I don’t think there’s any harm in not disassembling. It’s quite possible I’m wrong though.

1 107
 11-12-2020, 06:12 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I just shake it and sit it down. When I change the blade, I clean it up and put another into rotation. There is no harm in doing what you do, but My view is just leave the blade alone.

0 2,280
 11-12-2020, 06:58 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
After every shave, I clean and dry the entire head inside and out as well as the blade. I rarely use a blade more than twice. more often one and done.

0 487
 11-12-2020, 07:27 PM
User Info
I only use blades once, so my razor gets taken apart and cleaned after every shave.  I would still do that if I was using the blade more than once.  I like the idea of thoroughly cleaning out the razor after every shave,  and a wet blade left in the razor can rust.

60 10,605
 11-12-2020, 07:30 PM
User Info
You can experiment with either way; 
* rinse razor with warm or hot water and leave it to dry.
* remove blade, clean and dry it along with the razor ( I keep the blade separate from razor). 

See which is best for you as both will work. 
Personally, I have been doing the second for nine years now as it is quite easy to do and it keeps everything clean. Just a personal preference.

92 21,355
 11-13-2020, 06:39 AM
User Info
(11-12-2020, 07:27 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I only use blades once, so my razor gets taken apart and cleaned after every shave.  I would still do that if I was using the blade more than once.  I like the idea of thoroughly cleaning out the razor after every shave,  and a wet blade left in the razor can rust.

+1

88 6,473
 11-13-2020, 08:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-12-2020, 06:58 PM)RyznRio Wrote: After every shave, I clean and dry the entire head inside and out as well as the blade. I rarely use a blade more than twice. more often one and done.

(11-12-2020, 07:30 PM)celestino Wrote: You can experiment with either way; 
* remove blade, clean and dry it along with the razor ( I keep the blade separate from razor). 

Personally, I have been doing the second for nine years now as it is quite easy to do and it keeps everything clean. Just a personal preference.

(11-13-2020, 06:39 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 07:27 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I only use blades once, so my razor gets taken apart and cleaned after every shave.  I would still do that if I was using the blade more than once.  I like the idea of thoroughly cleaning out the razor after every shave,  and a wet blade left in the razor can rust.

+1

Signs011

19 4,621
 11-13-2020, 11:49 AM
User Info
I do open up the razor and take it apart after each shave.  I clean and wipe down each part separately and then wipe the blade off on a towel so it is dry when I put it back.  This prevents the blade from rusting.  I feel this practice prevents the build up of a crust of soap crud and mineral deposits from the water.  And it means fewer deep cleans of my razors.  Works for me.  Do what works for you.

2 393
 11-13-2020, 12:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-13-2020, 11:49 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I do open up the razor and take it apart after each shave.  I clean and wipe down each part separately and then wipe the blade off on a towel so it is dry when I put it back.  This prevents the blade from rusting.  I feel this practice prevents the build up of a crust of soap crud and mineral deposits from the water.  And it means fewer deep cleans of my razors.  Works for me.  Do what works for you.

Even if after one shave, if I see the gunk the blade must be tossed.

Since adopting the practice of the daily rinse and buff, those deep cleans are a thing of the past.

19 4,621
 11-13-2020, 11:23 PM
User Info

+1

0 158
 11-14-2020, 03:28 AM
User Info
I have a magnet strip on the side of my medicine cabinet, so I take apart my razor after every shave, rinse the blade and hang it on the magnet. I then do a good rinse of my razor and a wipe down with a Lancaster microfiber towel and let it sit apart till the next morning.  I know Im at the extreme but I rotate a lot of razors. Plus most SS blades are of a cheeper quality and can cause TEA Staining if left in even a very good razor.

34 687
 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM
User Info
(11-12-2020, 07:30 PM)celestino Wrote: You can experiment with either way; 

+1

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

0 26