03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
User Info
I think a pewter brush scuttle would be an excellent way to keep a face lathered brush warm. I have no interest in a lather building scuttle. Now I don't care if the large water holding portion is pewter, just the insert. Frankly, if the outer bowl was ceramic or somesuch it would probably work better.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

In the meantime, to experiment, I'm using a pewter mug I have and floating it in the sink of hot water, but the handle threatens to tip it over. FWIW, I tried a SS bowl but that's useless. It does capsize and it doesn't hold the brush tight enough to keep the lather warm.

32 6,308
 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
As an example this is a double wall stainless steel bowl. I have seen someone drill holes in the rim of the bowl so hot water can be added to create a metal scuttle.

100 12,437
 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
User Info
Here's a link to instructions for making the double-wall metal scuttle: http://ozsoapbox.com/personal/shaving/di...le-for-20/.
I believe Chris Moss tried making a pewter scuttle at one time. You might ask him about that experience.

183 12,002
 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
User Info
Yes, I found that last night when I was googling the subject.

The shape is the pits, but I like the idea.

I did use the pewter mug this morning and it worked, but will always threaten to capsize. Too, it doesn't really caress the lathered brush correctly. There's too much room in it. But it proved the concept. I'm still in search mode for a solution. Maybe a small SS drink shaker and something to hold it that will hold hot water? Just an idea. I'm still working on it.

32 6,308
 03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
You could just find a stainless steel bowl in the shape and size you want, and then get a scuttle made to accommodate the bowl. To prevent the bowl from floating, get a ceramic disc made by the scuttle maker and place it in the bottom of the bowl. If a heavier weight is needed, a local machine shop might be able to provide a stainless steel disc.

0 303