10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I started shaving with DE razors about half a year ago. My first shave was with my EJ DE89L loaded with a Derby blade, and it was a big wakeup call for me. Never had such smooth shaving experience before. So I stuck to that routine, doing it over and over, honing my technique.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought to my self now is the time to try other blades etc. So I tried a new blade, a Feather HI-Stainless blade with my EJ DE89L. And holey c... Wakeup call nr 2! I thought a Derby blade was a good blade for me, but it can't even compare to a feather blade. The feather blade is so wicked sharp, I don't feel the razorblade meeting the whiskers. It just cuts through them with no resistance. Trying it for the first time, I had to pay close attention to the technique, because it is such a sharp blade. With a Derby blade, I could put some pressure to the razor without cutting myself (yes, I know one should not do it. My point is, it is possible to do it with a Derby blade without cutting myself). This is not the case with a Feather. I also found that when shaving with a Derby blade, I didn't have my wrist totally fixed, resulting in moving my wrist (kinda like waving, you know what I mean). So changing to a sharper blade, also made my much technique better Smile That little waving movement has a lot to say!

For now, Feather Hi-Stainless is my go-to blade for my EJ DE89L. I also have a Personna Med Lab blade I will test. Actually, I bought 100 blades, so they better be good Smile

I also will be trying singel edge razors. I have two Schick Injector razor, a M1 and a G1.

To be continued.....

7 858
 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
Fun, isn't it? I'll look forward to hearing more.

184 12,003
 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
For a great combination of smoothness and sharp try a Polsilver Super Iridium. You will think there is no blade in the razor.

100 12,448
 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Wet shaving is journey, it is a ton of fun to try the vast amount products. Glad that your experience with a feather blade was positive. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

1 3,507
 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
User Info
Great that you made it a half of a year on one blade, Derbys in particular. I think I was still sampling blades a half year in. There are a lot of great DE blades out there to try that's for sure. Good luck in your hunt!

5 938
 10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Wow, it's something! I was switching every week Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(10-02-2012, 08:34 AM)slantman Wrote: For a great combination of smoothness and sharp try a Polsilver Super Iridium. You will think there is no blade in the razor.

I will give them a go.

(10-02-2012, 08:29 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Fun, isn't it? I'll look forward to hearing more.
(10-02-2012, 09:37 AM)Howler Wrote: Wet shaving is journey, it is a ton of fun to try the vast amount products. Glad that your experience with a feather blade was positive. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

I will let you guy's know Smile

(10-02-2012, 09:47 AM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Great that you made it a half of a year on one blade, Derbys in particular. I think I was still sampling blades a half year in. There are a lot of great DE blades out there to try that's for sure. Good luck in your hunt!

Just to make it clear, one brand of blades. Not one blade for half a year Smile when I bought my first DE razor, I got a bunch of Derbys blade along with the razor. They lasted for about half a year, with 4-5 shavings on each blade. My plan was to use the same blade/razor combination each time, while honing my technique. Then begin experimenting with different blades and razors. However, it took half a year to use up all the Derby blades (which I planed to use up before beginning to experiment with the setup).

(10-02-2012, 09:49 AM)beartrap Wrote: Wow, it's something! I was switching every week Biggrin

As I said, I planed to use up all the free Derby blades I got when I bought the razor.

And I got a big bunch of Derby blades :-)

7 858
 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
May I suggest trying the Gillette Super Platinum Blue Pack from Russia. Very sharp, and more forgiving than Feathers.

15 316
 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
Oystein, congratulations on the discovery and good luck with the Med Labs. Wait until you try the Super Iridiums, my friend; sharp and smooth!

75 20,883
 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(10-02-2012, 02:11 PM)slackskin Wrote: May I suggest trying the Gillette Super Platinum Blue Pack from Russia. Very sharp, and more forgiving than Feathers.

Is this the blade you are talking about?

Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum

(10-02-2012, 07:52 PM)celestino Wrote: Oystein, congratulations on the discovery and good luck with the Med Labs. Wait until you try the Super Iridiums, my friend; sharp and smooth!

Do you mean the Polsilver Super Iridiums, or the Super Iridiums?

7 858