11-29-2020, 10:40 PM
User Info
Anytime we come upon a new hobby, interest, or objective that we focus our attention (and pocketbook) on we’ll often aspire to a key phrase meant to describe the pinnacle of achievement. This signifier, meant to evoke the essence of focus, dedication, and achievement often becomes overused to the point of parody. For instance:

In wet shaving: I just started wet shaving 2 hours ago and got a single-pass BBS shave. Alternatively - I just got a 147 pass BBS shave
In photography: I just bought this (well know poor lens) for a low price, and it’s sharp, corner to corner.
In cooking: I just unboxed a brand-new cast iron skillet, and my over-easy eggs slid around without any seasoning.
In cooking: my new knife cuts through fruit/vegetables/paper in translucent slices.
Cars: My new $150 cat 3 exhaust has no drone.

There are undoubtedly a lot of overused phrases of excellence for a great number of hobbies and products, and I’m curious to hear others

36 2,187
 11-30-2020, 04:09 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-29-2020, 10:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Anytime we come upon a new hobby, interest, or objective that we focus our attention (and pocketbook) on we’ll often aspire to a key phrase meant to describe the pinnacle of achievement. This signifier, meant to evoke the essence of focus, dedication, and achievement often becomes overused to the point of parody. For instance:

In wet shaving: I just started wet shaving 2 hours ago and got a single-pass BBS shave. Alternatively - I just got a 147 pass BBS shave
In photography: I just bought this (well know poor lens) for a low price, and it’s sharp, corner to corner.
In cooking: I just unboxed a brand-new cast iron skillet, and my over-easy eggs slid around without any seasoning.
In cooking: my new knife cuts through fruit/vegetables/paper in translucent slices.
Cars: My new $150 cat 3 exhaust has no drone.

There are undoubtedly a lot of overused phrases of excellence for a great number of hobbies and products, and I’m curious to hear others

My new wife cuts through excuses in translucent slices.

1 1,473
 11-30-2020, 04:17 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
My hyperbole is perfectly and exuberantly transparent.

0 2,363
 11-30-2020, 05:45 AM
User Info
I've told my wife over a million times I never exaggerate

btw Avoid metaphors like the plague

69 2,088
 11-30-2020, 04:43 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
The one that drives me up the wall is "game changer", when applied to anything other than the play of the year in an athletic contest.  Sorry, but a convenience feature on a car doesn't change a game.

79 766
 11-30-2020, 05:24 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Slightly off topic as its less than excellent, but I often wonder how does one "reach out" on a cellphone or in an email?!?

68 1,973
 11-30-2020, 06:36 PM
User Info
"Generational talent" used every year to refer to the top college prospects in the NFL draft.

60 10,887