12-04-2020, 02:09 AM
  • saj1985
  • Birmingham England
User Info
hey peeps, i'm just wondering do any of you have or use any de blade sharpeners or stroppers?

if so, which one? do you go through many blades at all and how often do you find that you need to sharpen and strop the de blade?

i've got this one dubeledge stropper on ebay which was advertised as built in 1918 which im lead to believe,
i've cleaned it up a bit with a toothbrush and looking at tips on youtube to conditon the leather strops i used my beard balm,
because what the diy homemade leather condtioner tutorials on youtube recommended was beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil or some sort of oil which i already had in my homemade diy beard balm, so at least that worked out lol

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

0 18
 12-04-2020, 12:44 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Probably made before WW1. before that war, in the US you could send blades back to Gillette for sharpening. but it was a long way to Tipperary for used razor blades to be sharpened and sent back to soldiers in the trenches, so when dull toss em became the rule. Some gents will palm strop a DE blade. good luck with the sharpener. at blade prices today a DE is usually one and done for me. even with that, my stash is large enough to keep me busy for a long time. now whenever I lust for something expensive I buy 100 new blades and keep my OCD busy figuring out where they fall into my rotation. Nacents are very nice, shaved with one today in a RR .84 OC. Wilkinson Sword by Gillette from India is as nice and half the price of Nacent. Polsilver is as nice but now twice the price of Nacent. If you are curious, try a blade will sell you 1 or 100+ blades so you can try them all without needing to build a room to store them. Remember though, there is a blade brand made for every face or head or pit or... anyway what you love someone will surely hate.

0 505
 12-04-2020, 01:29 PM
User Info
(12-04-2020, 12:44 PM)RyznRio Wrote: Probably made before WW1....

A little bit of research in a different thread leads me to believe 1917 or later - would have to see the top of it to determine how late.

3 7,426
 12-04-2020, 02:44 PM
User Info
Don't sharpen modern stainless blades, only old carbon steel uncoated blades.

0 278
 12-13-2020, 02:51 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I only use vintage blades and a very few are carbon. I stropp those before the first use on an old pair of jeans.

8 2,886
 12-13-2020, 05:15 PM
User Info
The only thing I do is wipe my blade on a towel after each shave before putting it back in the razor that I've just towled off and hang it on the razor/brush stand for the next shave.

2 392