12-05-2020, 04:07 PM
  • rsolovy
  • Southern California
User Info
How often should a blade on a double edge safety razor be changed? 
Should the blade be taken out of the razor between shaves?

0 36
 12-05-2020, 05:03 PM
User Info
The blade should be changed whenever you sense that the quality of your shave is deteriorating.  How many shaves you get from a blade will depend of the blade, your beard, and your personal preferences.  There is no right number of shaves one should get from a blade.  The fact that someone gets, for example, six shaves from a blade does not mean that you should.  It's an entirely subjective choice.  I only use blades once.

You should remove the blade between shaves.  Leaving the blade in the razor increases the likelihood of the blade rusting.

60 10,882
 12-05-2020, 06:42 PM
User Info
(12-05-2020, 05:03 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The blade should be changed whenever you sense that the quality of your shave is deteriorating.  How many shaves you get from a blade will depend on the blade, your beard, and your personal preferences.  There is no right number of shaves one should get from a blade.  The fact that someone gets, for example, six shaves from a blade does not mean that you should.  It's an entirely subjective choice.  I only use blades once.

You should remove the blade between shaves.  Leaving the blade in the razor increases the likelihood of the blade rusting.

Signs011
Though I am guilty of leaving my blades in the razor.

4 457
 12-06-2020, 10:43 AM
User Info
I never take the blade out of the razor between changes. I simply shake the water out of the razor and let the assembled razor air dry. I think that taking the blade out of the razor every time only adds wear and tear to the threads, increases the risk of getting cut while handling the blade or accidentally damaging the blade's edge by handling or dropping it. I change my blade once a week and never have a significant problem with rust.

8 129
 12-06-2020, 12:18 PM
User Info
I never remove the blade until it's time to ditch it, somewhere between 7 to 10 shaves. The blade will tell you when.

Never leave a bare blade out loose, and never leave a running chainsaw unattended. Safety first!

0 278
 12-06-2020, 12:34 PM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
(12-05-2020, 05:03 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The blade should be changed whenever you sense that the quality of your shave is deteriorating.  How many shaves you get from a blade will depend of the blade, your beard, and your personal preferences.  There is no right number of shaves one should get from a blade.  The fact that someone gets, for example, six shaves from a blade does not mean that you should.  It's an entirely subjective choice.  I only use blades once.

I also use only use blades once. I agree on everything else.

0 228
 12-06-2020, 12:35 PM
User Info
The answers is yes and maybe.

When to change a blade depends on a lot of factors; most of us seems to prefer changing it before it gets dull. I changes blades weekly for Double Edged, every two week for GEM single edge, while I'll happily use an injector blade for three weeks.

If you should take it out between shaves also depends on a wide range of factors; the materials of the razor, where / it is stored between shaves, personal preferences, etc. Since I rinse my razors in very hot water, shakes them and dry them before storing them in a dry place, I leave the blade in between shaves. If I had been using carbon steel blades (as opposed to stainless steel) I would have taken them out of the razor between shaves,

3 7,421
 12-06-2020, 08:05 PM
User Info
(12-05-2020, 06:42 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 05:03 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The blade should be changed whenever you sense that the quality of your shave is deteriorating.  How many shaves you get from a blade will depend on the blade, your beard, and your personal preferences.  There is no right number of shaves one should get from a blade.  The fact that someone gets, for example, six shaves from a blade does not mean that you should.  It's an entirely subjective choice.  I only use blades once.

Signs011
Though I am guilty of leaving my blades in the razor.
I do take the razor apart and dry it and the blade thoroughly before I reassemble it. I have been currently switching blades every 3-4 shaves. I decided I would rather chuck a potentially good blade (at DE blade prices it's not financially critical to milk it, I used to) than use it until I get irritation, a mediocre shave, etc.

4 457
 12-06-2020, 10:11 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
As a boy, one of my first paid full-time jobs was in the boning and slicing room in a local abattoir. The knives were so sharp there that if they dropped onto the floor, the edge would dull. To test the sharpness, the edge would be pulled over the back of a thumbnail: if it caught, it was sharp; if it glided, it was dull.

So now before each shave, I take the blade out and use the same technique. It’s a great indicator of sharpness.

Just kidding. Apart from the abattoir bit. That’s true. It was a place of horror, I might add. 

I leave the blade in the razor and change it when I feel its time is up. I see no advantage in taking a blade out, etc.

0 2,363
 12-07-2020, 03:50 AM
User Info
I have simple rule of using a blade 4 times... I use a dice to count uses and replace the blade after 4 shaves.

4 shaves is usually the minimum number of good shaves I have found i get that works for all the blades i have used.

As far as removing the blade, i do remove the blade and place it on the razor stand where my razor is designed to go. I rarely use the same razor for consecutive shaves, so I just clean out the razor with dish soap, dry it and put it back in my razor drawer. The blade is then used with a different razor on the next shave until it has completed 4 shaves.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

0 24
 12-07-2020, 02:03 PM
User Info
(12-06-2020, 12:18 PM)TobyC Wrote: Never leave a bare blade out loose, and never leave a running chainsaw unattended. Safety first!

Also remember to use safety glasses Cool even while shaving.

But seriously, that is good even not to throw away bare blade. There is trick to dispose them in empty soda can put it to the garbage.

0 14
 12-07-2020, 02:17 PM
User Info
My blades seem to last forever.

I know people can do one or two times with a blade, but mine last a month I think.
I should mention that I rotate a lot, so I might fool myself.

And I do not remove the blade between shaves.
I do clean the blade from built up soap or other debris though.

0 809
 12-13-2020, 11:47 PM
User Info
Hey there, welcome!!

I have found from experimentation that blades do not all last the same number of shaves, but for my go-to Personna "Israeli Reds" it's about 6 shaves. Don't keep shaving with a blade if you feel it tugging - you'll get poor results or worse, cut yourself. The nice thing is that they're a nickel to a dime each in bulk, so a weekly blade swap never costs you more than a single Fusion cartridge all year long.

I do not take my blades out between shaves and have never heard that recommended. if my hair is long I might loosen the head and to make sure any excess hair from between the blade & razor head is out.

6 1,163
 12-17-2020, 05:42 PM
User Info
Palm stropping to extend DE blade life.
.....And GO! lol

1 72
 01-24-2021, 05:22 PM
User Info
After each shave I always remove the blade and remove any excess soap by rinsing it and then flicking the tab ends to remove any excess water that sticks to the blade.  I then use a magnetic to store the blade, up and out of the reach of children.  Since my razor is chrome plated, I make sure that all soap residue is removed and the razor is dried.  This eliminates any pitting in the chrome that the soap scum and water will cause.  I'm retired so I have the time to do this, no rush to get the door for work.  One last note, even though razor blades are advertised as stainless steel, they are made of a low grade stainless and this is why they can be held by a magnetic and they will rust.  If you have a collection of expensive stainless steel razors, I highly recommend removing the blade to eliminate any possibility of tea stains created by a rusting razor blade.  As always YMMV.

0 5
 02-24-2021, 09:31 PM
User Info
I used to use a blade until i felt it tugging. 
Then i realized i can easily afford 8 cents a shave not to hurt myself (Astra SP $8 per hundred count on Amazon).
I use it and toss it now. 
Added value you don't have to wonder how many times you used it, nor worry about storing it in the razor.
8 cents well spent imo, but ymmv.

1 72
 03-03-2021, 08:24 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
An interesting topic - I think some folks just gauge by the blade feel - but that's maybe less helpful if you're just starting out. 

I used to try to get as many shaves out of a blade as I could - there are various ways to achieve this - as mentioned above - removing after each use, drying, flipping it over, etc...

IMHO - not worth it.  Decent DE blades - Astra, Gillette Super Blues, Tatra etc.. are not expensive, and I noticed some irritation if I push it.  So... 3-4 shaves, out it goes - although Wizamets or Polsilvers seem to get me 4-5. 

Feather?  2-3 shaves.  But they are nice shaves.

17 195
 03-03-2021, 08:44 PM
User Info
(03-03-2021, 08:24 PM)norton Wrote: An interesting topic - I think some folks just gauge by the blade feel - but that's maybe less helpful if you're just starting out. 

I used to try to get as many shaves out of a blade as I could - there are various ways to achieve this - as mentioned above - removing after each use, drying, flipping it over, etc...

IMHO - not worth it.  Decent DE blades - Astra, Gillette Super Blues, Tatra etc.. are not expensive, and I noticed some irritation if I push it.  So... 3-4 shaves, out it goes - although Wizamets or Polsilvers seem to get me 4-5. 

Feather?  2-3 shaves.  But they are nice shaves.

I used to do the same thing and push the blades as far as I could. I honestly can't remember if they were as good as the shaves I get now. I had seen somewhere it is better to just swap the blade than wait for a bad shave. I think that works for me. If I do feel a little drag or discomfort, I swap them. I am in the ballpark or 3-4 shaves per blade. Mostly 3 shaves with Nacet, PolSilver or Feather. For what amounts to a minimal cost per shave, it is easy to do.

4 457
 03-06-2021, 09:11 AM
User Info
I remove the blade after every shave and clean & wipe dry the razor before storing. As for no. of shaves, it's one of the most YMMV things in shaving. I typically use a blade about 3 times

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

0 34
 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I used to really try to see what every blade could get...had some awful shaves just trying to get one more. I have settled on 3 shaves per blade, leave in razor, air dry.

It all depends on you. A good friend changes blades every Monday and has used a feather blade for 15 shaves.

YMMV

0 444