12-08-2020, 03:28 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Does having a razor re-plated affect the way it shaves? What about plating a razor that wasn't originally plated?

19 1,073
 12-08-2020, 07:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve had four razors replated and one bare razor plated. In my experience plating had no effect on the shave itself. In the case of the brass razor the plating ended the nasty-raw-wet-brass smell that was previously a problem for me.

19 4,683
 12-09-2020, 05:05 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
I've just had a Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech replated in Rhodium. I purchased it on eBay for next to nothing, as it was right down to the brass. It was always a great shaver, despite looking a bit tatty. It looks a million dollars now and shaves exactly the same.

0 36
 12-09-2020, 03:34 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(12-08-2020, 07:02 PM)chazt Wrote: I’ve had four razors replated and one bare razor plated. In my experience plating had no effect on the shave itself. In the case of the brass razor the plating ended the nasty-raw-wet-brass smell that was previously a problem for me.

That Evo should have sold a long time ago. Beautiful razor and with both plates.

19 1,073
 12-09-2020, 06:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-09-2020, 03:34 PM)Puma Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:02 PM)chazt Wrote: I’ve had four razors replated and one bare razor plated. In my experience plating had no effect on the shave itself. In the case of the brass razor the plating ended the nasty-raw-wet-brass smell that was previously a problem for me.

That Evo should have sold a long time ago. Beautiful razor and with both plates.

Thanks for the kind words Smile  It took a little while, just needed to be patient.

What razor are you thinking of replating?

19 4,683
 12-10-2020, 03:51 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(12-09-2020, 06:44 PM)chazt Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 03:34 PM)Puma Wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Smile  It took a little while, just needed to be patient.

None right now, but when I had antique Gillettes in the den I considered doing one or two of the new types. They are so common that I figured it wouldn't matter in terms of their value as collectibles and even if it did, I could always find a couple to leave with the patina intact. Those old razors are more mild than what I normally use so I wouldn't want them to get milder because of the added nickel or rhodium. It was your Evo that got me thinking about the procedure again.

19 1,073
 12-11-2020, 04:59 PM
User Info
I have a Gillette 1940's style Super Speed replated in nickel.  I don't notice any difference in how it shaves.

60 10,693
 12-11-2020, 08:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-10-2020, 03:51 PM)Puma Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 06:44 PM)chazt Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 03:34 PM)Puma Wrote: That Evo should have sold a long time ago. Beautiful razor and with both plates.

None right now, but when I had antique Gillettes in the den I considered doing one or two of the new types. They are so common that I figured it wouldn't matter in terms of their value as collectibles and even if it did, I could always find a couple to leave with the patina intact. Those old razors are more mild than what I normally use so I wouldn't want them to get milder because of the added nickel or rhodium. It was your Evo that got me thinking about the procedure again.

(12-11-2020, 04:59 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I have a Gillette 1940's style Super Speed replated in nickel.  I don't notice any difference in how it shaves.

An interesting take. Is that something that plating will do? I think that in order to make a realistic assessment I’d want one plated and one unplated version of the same model, and use each one for alternating sides of my face for a series of daily shaves. That actually sounds like fun! Might be a decent retire-into-Covid-world research activity. I should look for an unplated Tech, compare and contrast it with a plated Tech... you know, if anything, you’d think (er, me..) that the shiny surface would tend to provide more smoothness to the face feel. But similar to Ricardo, I’m unable to detect any difference.

19 4,683
 12-12-2020, 03:41 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(12-11-2020, 08:14 PM)chazt Wrote: An interesting take. Is that something that plating will do? I think that in order to make a realistic assessment I’d want one plated and one unplated version of the same model, and use each one for alternating sides of my face for a series of daily shaves. That actually sounds like fun! Might be a decent retire-into-Covid-world research activity. I should look for an unplated Tech, compare and contrast it with a plated Tech... you know, if anything, you’d think (er, me..) that the shiny surface would tend to provide more smoothness to the face feel. 

I'd be interested to hear or read your findings. I agree that fresh plating should feel smoother, and have an easier glide, on the skin, but maybe a little roughness would hold on to more soap.

19 1,073
 12-14-2020, 02:05 PM
User Info
Does replating affect the shave?  I think that may depend on how it is replated.  AFAIK, reputable replaters take off the original plating, then put new on.  In that case, replating shouldn't affect the shave (hence the reports of "no effect" above).  But if someone were to put plating on top of plating, or kept putting more plating on past what was necessary, that should theoretically make the shave more and more mild.  For that reason, rather than assuming there would be no effect, I'd ask the replater about his/her process.  I've had several razors replated and never had an issue.

21 320
 12-14-2020, 02:11 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(12-14-2020, 02:05 PM)BrickHud Wrote: Does replating affect the shave?  I think that may depend on how it is replated.  AFAIK, reputable replaters take off the original plating, then put new on.  In that case, replating shouldn't affect the shave (hence the reports of "no effect" above).  But if someone were to put plating on top of plating, or kept putting more plating on past what was necessary, that should theoretically make the shave more and more mild.  For that reason, rather than assuming there would be no effect, I'd ask the replater about his/her process.  I've had several razors replated and never had an issue.

That makes sense and it seems that removing whatever remains of the original plating would be the best way to get a nice even result. Another part of my question was for anyone who had plated a previously unplated razor. I did get one reply from Charlie who had a bare brass razor plated and he reported that even in that case, he couldn't tell the difference.

19 1,073