10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
This old man is starting to feel "normal" again after taking care of the annual Autumn (Fall) lawn care program I undertake every September, over the course of one weekend... Get off my lawn Wink Smiley_1140 Wink

[Image: qxOij.jpg]

Friday 28th September: Part 1, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, mow grass 2inches (50mm) high

[Image: ekCJy.jpg]

Friday 28th September: Part 1, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, mow grass 2inches (50mm) high

[Image: 94Clx.jpg]

Saturday 29th September: Part 2, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, use a core aerator to pull plugs out of the lawn

[Image: 0rbru.jpg]

Saturday 29th September: Part 3, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, repair & reseed areas in need of complete repair

[Image: XUE1E.jpg]

Saturday 29th September: Part 4, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, overseed & spread ½inch (12mm) of compost over lawn

[Image: n5JLp.jpg]

Sunday 30th September: Part 4, Autumn (Fall) cool-season lawn care, overseed & spread ½inch (12mm) of compost over lawn

[Image: 948J1.jpg]

Back garden, Sky Blue Aster coming into full bloom

[Image: w7WCx.jpg]

Front garden, wife's Mothers Day "Fuchsia" from her mum is still blooming nicely

Edit: Fixed formatting.

23 1,872
 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Wow, nice work! I guess I'm the neighbor everyone hates, I despise yard work and I only mow every 3 weeks or so when it's about 6-8" high and I never really do any maintenance or reseeding. One of best parts of fall/winter to me is the grass stops growing! Wink

31 1,510
 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
Beautiful pictures as always Mike!

14 210
 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, incredible work and beautiful flowers. Come spring, you will be able to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Thanks for sharing, "old man" gardener. 24

2 11,211
 10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
User Info
Looks great, Mike. I just aerated and overseeded my lawn. A Brutal Summer. That's why I like Fall so much. Literally a cool breeze of fresh air.

I like the compost idea. What size is your lawn?

9 1,199
 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just wish I still had your energy. That is what I did when I was younger. Now the lawn is lucky to get its spring fertilizer treatment and it gets cut according to how much rain we receive.

173 23,499
 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
User Info
Great work, Mike! i think you need a rest for the winter, now. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-03-2012, 04:11 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Looks great, Mike. I just aerated and overseeded my lawn. A Brutal Summer. That's why I like Fall so much. Literally a cool breeze of fresh air.

I like the compost idea. What size is your lawn?

Hi Randy

First time hiring a core aerator (not sure I will do again, unless we move to a home with a perfectly flat lawn), normally I aerator the lawn with a garden fork each year and will go back to that method next year...

"A Brutal Summer" you can say that again, this summer was far too hot (for far too long) and far too dry (still far too dry).

Total lawn area is approx 3500 Sq Feet. I've done the compost thing every year since 2008 -- in 2008 and 2009 I put compost down twice in those years, once in Spring and once in Autumn. Since 2010 I've moved to once year, always in the Autumn. I'm amazed how much the soil has improved in that "short" time...

Spring and Autumn are definitely my favourite times of year over here, Summers are just too brutally hot here for me (pasty white, red head).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
I've looked into delivered compost here in TN and it's pretty pricy but I really like that idea for conditioning the soil as you say.

Thanks for the tips!

9 1,199
 10-06-2012, 02:24 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-04-2012, 01:13 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I've looked into delivered compost here in TN and it's pretty pricy but I really like that idea for conditioning the soil as you say.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi Randy

I'm (very) lucky I don't have to pay for delivery, I've a very! good neighbour (friend) who drives the 12 miles (round trip) to a composting facility and picks up what I need...

I pay either $22 per cubic yard for 3/8inch screened compost or $29 per cubic yard for 1/4inch screened compost.

You might want to check if any local park divisions offer free compost -- the first couple of times I went with free compost from one of our local park divisions (available to all residents), but there are at least a couple of things to be aware of if you decide to go down that route:
  1. If piles are not heated up enough (around 150°F) during composting weed seeds will not be killed.
  2. I had to (re)screen the material myself so it was usable on the lawn, was quite time consuming.
Here's my homemade gardening sieve built to fit my wheelbarrow, build instructions here...

[Image: AoOeQ.jpg]

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
[Image: tyLh4.jpg]

Back lawn 42 days after receiving it annual Autumn (Fall) lawn care program

[Image: cO5ql.jpg]

Front lawn 41 days after receiving it annual Autumn (Fall) lawn care program

23 1,872