12-11-2020, 02:15 PM
User Info
Decided to take of 4+ weeks of growth with these 2 razors using a Feather blade and Proraso Red. Here are the results for those who care:

Merkur Futur: Set at the most aggressive, #6, not even a struggle. Mowed right through the hair like a hot knife through butter. I wasn't sure what to expect but was incredibly pleased. Not sure a cartridge could have handled my beard like this did. 

Yaqi Beast: Using the open comb head, it did well but not quite a good as the Merkur. It removed a lot of hair but I did have to run over some areas again on the first pass. It didn't quite get all of it. Still not at all terrible considering the amount of hair. 

The Merkur was definitely the clear winner here. It didn't even flinch with all this growth and performed great. All in all a great shave, if not some minor irritation on my neck but that isn't uncommon for me sometimes regardless of growth. Just a few minor microscopic nicks but nothing major. I did feel a little bit of a burn in my posts shave routine. 

2 270
 12-11-2020, 03:07 PM
User Info
These  comparisons are always interesting.  I'm not surprised at your result.  High end, machined razors get much of the attention, but Merkur razors are excellent shavers at a reasonable price.

60 10,693
 12-11-2020, 03:58 PM
User Info
(12-11-2020, 03:07 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: These  comparisons are always interesting.  I'm not surprised at your result.  High end, machined razors get much of the attention, but Merkur razors are excellent shavers at a reasonable price.

Agreed. I have never tried a high end machined razor. Until I joined here I thought Merkur was like a sort of higher end razor. Haha! My first razor was a 38C Merkur, it was expensive to me at the time. But, yes. The results from the Futur with the Feather blade were fantastic, as all my shaves with it have been. I have a Progress on the way and can't wait to compare.

2 270
 12-11-2020, 05:35 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Ah the Futur vs. Progress conundrum. 

Since you have experience with the Futur, that should be an interesting comparison. 

I have a favorite between the two.  I won't say which one.  

Suffice to say Dovo/Merkur knows what they are doing.  Whether you consider them 'high end' or not is purely subjective. 

Both razors shave like they mean it.

17 190
 12-11-2020, 05:49 PM
User Info
(12-11-2020, 05:35 PM)norton Wrote: Ah the Futur vs. Progress conundrum. 

Since you have experience with the Futur, that should be an interesting comparison. 

I have a favorite between the two.  I won't say which one.  

Suffice to say Dovo/Merkur knows what they are doing.  Whether you consider them 'high end' or not is purely subjective. 

Both razors shave like they mean it.

I look forward to using the progress. I have had the Futur for some time now. All my Merkurs have shaved great. All 5. Haha!!! At the time to me it was high end. I had instant buyers remorse when I first got it. It was just under $60 and I was like "What if this DE shaving doesn't take? I'm out $60!!!". Needless to say, it took. My only gripe with the Futur is the size of the head and using it under my nose. It is bulky and I missed a little today.

2 270