03-16-2012, 02:43 AM
User Info
..... And it was all my own fault.

I received a Mergress XL for Christmas. It is my favorite razor. I get incredible shaves from it. The best attribute is it's easy adjustability. There are no stops nor clicks. It is infinitely adjustable. You simply rotate the bottom handle to change settings. There are engraved numbers for guidance but no stops.

I have a slim adjustable. It has 9 click stops and you must open the silo doors prior to changing the setting. Due to this I leave the slim at one setting.

But the Mergress I change based on which pass I'm doing, the quality of my lather or just for giggles.

I had done a pass at setting 3 and changed the setting to 5. During the next pass I noticed a little tugging. I completed my entire face but it was burning when I was done.

When I went to re-set the razor for the next pass I realized my error. I had spun dial the wrong way all the way around to 3. This is the direction to remove the cap. So my blade was "free floating" in there. By time I was done my complete shave there were a lot of weepers. My face was raw. 2 hrs later it feels better but looks red.

Lessons learned:
1.pay attention to what I am doing.
2. When my face gives me feedback during a shave - listen to it. I knew something wasn't right but I plugged on anyways.

And this post is in no way meant to disparage the Mergress. I love the razor and would recommend it. It was my fault.

Phil

7 363
 03-16-2012, 05:17 AM
User Info
How unfortunate for you! Wow, what a great example of needing to BE in the moment when shaving! Good luck on your next shave.

75 20,883
 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM
User Info
I'd say you got off pretty lucky Phil.Biggrin

2 546
 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
Ouch! The second point you made is very true and will serve you well in the future.

29 1,731
 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You had the Mergress at full throttle. As you loosen the head more blade is exposed. An honest mistake.

100 12,436
 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I did that once with a super speed, not closing the tops all the way so the blade was loose. That tends to be a mistake you only make once.

173 23,484
 03-18-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
It is also critical to make sure you line up the triangle and the notch on the same side of the cap when you change blades. Otherwise, you throw off the reference point of the adjustments by reorienting the threads.

3 195
 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
I have had a tagline for new members on another forum that went like this...

"Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!"

I have made a similar mistake as Johnny mentioned with a Super Speed as well ... while head shaving! Eeeeek
You talk about a epiphany! That was it right there!

After that, my little reminder has always been a little, no a lot, more personal.

1 2,827
 05-03-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
Phil, don't they all... :-D

Recently received an XL (new to me from a fellow nooker) and have been driving it this week... and don't feel the need to park it up in the rotation lay-by... I find I just want to keep on shaving with it each morning.

Have a predilection for great West German products/teutonic ethos, borne from experience... yet Merkur and Muhle products somehow never measured up to high expectation - that admitted, have to accept some of my favourite razors are the plated monkey metal 39c, R41 and now the bastardised Progress which IMO shames the original product.

Can dial in a superior close shave each and every day (with Volkeswagen Beatle-like flat four engine start/mileage reliability) and the razor head handles predictably and will respond to downwards pressure.

Like the concept and simplicity of the continuously variable screw end cap/blade setting but not the in hand shave functionality - I can't read the numbers (old age) and have to remain constantly vigilant of end cap slippage during use.

Suffered a couple of deep cuts this morning... beginners' over confidence on a high setting which 'slipped' unnoticed further round during shaving... too long an ear to nose XTG stroke and my chin paid the price... I swear, nothing feels like cool sharp steel slicing thru' soft warm flesh... (delores purdy style) it's way past what most people define as self harm, but I digress :-D

The Mergress XL is a great adjustable razor and if I had to choose my last razor... enjoy the journey fw

6 30
 05-06-2013, 05:08 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Love my Mergress XL too.

Had a similar mishap with a 3 piece OC Muhle. I finished my shave and loosened the head for rinsing, but didn't dissemble completely (in contrast to my usual routine). Became distracted (the reason escapes me) and then decided I had missed a spot and attempted to touch up under my nose. The result was the equivalent of the original aggressive 2011 tooth comb R41 on steroids! I immediately cut myself with the "free floating" blade and realised just as quickly my error. I haven't done it again! Biggrin

91 17,794
 05-11-2013, 12:47 AM
User Info
Ben74, 'it hurts' (as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez explained to the Kurgan), I feel your pain... Frank

6 30
 05-11-2013, 12:54 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I use both the slim and fatboy ( I have more than one of each) and don't open the silo doors when changing the settings. I have never had the slightest problem doing this. I have never seen an official gillette statement that recommends loosening the silo doors before adjusting. If it isn't specified, then why do it? If it is specified, well, perhaps I am wrong, but as I say, I have not had any issues. I don't change the settings that much anyway, and usually set around 8. Nice clean shave.

Here's a set of instructions; nothing to suggest the need to loosen off. If anything, the opposite:

[Image: ZZhCORg.jpg]

0 1,620
 05-11-2013, 04:22 AM
User Info
(05-11-2013, 12:54 AM)Shaun Wrote: I use both the slim and fatboy ( I have more than one of each) and don't open the silo doors when changing the settings. I have never had the slightest problem doing this. I have never seen an official gillette statement that recommends loosening the silo doors before adjusting. If it isn't specified, then why do it? If it is specified, well, perhaps I am wrong, but as I say, I have not had any issues. I don't change the settings that much anyway, and usually set around 8. Nice clean shave.

Here's a set of instructions; nothing to suggest the need to loosen off. If anything, the opposite:

[Image: ZZhCORg.jpg]

Shaun,
I bought a used slim adjustable about 4 years ago. The collective knowledge at another forum (TSN did not exist yet) said to open silo doors to adjust.

I have seen/heard this many times since then. I never thought to question it.
Your directions and question raise an interesting point. Maybe even suitable for it's own thread.

Thanks,
Phil

7 363
 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Phil - glad you're still in one piece! It happens and we all learn.

35 2,703