12-17-2020, 11:21 AM
User Info
I have seen some other members mention guitars and since it is my other Acquisition Disorder, I think a guitar thread seemed appropriate. I'm curious as to what other members play/own. Here is my List:

2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum #26 of 120 made
2004 Gibson SG Special Platinum
2017 Gibson SG Standard T Alpine White
2017 Fender Mexican Telecaster HH (Upgraded to a Seymour Duncan JB4 Bridge)
2009 G&L USA JB Jazz Bass
Schecter Stiletto Custom 4
Taylor GS-Mini-e Koa
Taylor GS Mini-e Maple
Seagull Solid Wood Series
Charvel So-Cal Silver Sparkle Limited

My 2 SG's, my main go to guitars:

[Image: K5uzZ9V.jpg]
[Image: u63xQEc.jpg]
[Image: i0iAJ2w.jpg]

4 475
 12-17-2020, 11:57 AM
User Info
I have a Washburn, Fender Telecaster and a Martin D35. I also have a variety of Harmonicas.

0 24
 12-17-2020, 12:04 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 11:57 AM)Maverick Wrote: I have a Washburn, Fender Telecaster and a Martin D34. I also have a variety of Harmonicas.

I love Teles. My $500 plays as well as my $1,500 SG. I worked for a guitar shop for 17 years until the shit hit the fan this year. We sold Fender, Martin and Washburn. We still have a Martin 00-28 I want but my playing doesn't justify the money. Plus I mostly play electric.

4 475
 12-17-2020, 12:30 PM
User Info
[Image: dftDMA4.jpg]Martin D35

0 24
 12-17-2020, 01:02 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 12:30 PM)Maverick Wrote: [Image: dftDMA4.jpg]Martin D35

Very nice. Martin makes great stuff. I like Taylor's entry level models better, but once you move up I prefer the Martins. We had them all in the shop including a D45.

4 475
 12-17-2020, 02:42 PM
User Info
GAD enabled (Guitar Addiction Disorder)
Guild D4
and some serious seller's remorse: Fender Strat with the new style pegs

69 2,088
 12-17-2020, 03:50 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 02:42 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: GAD enabled (Guitar Addiction Disorder)
Guild D4
and some serious seller's remorse: Fender Strat with the new style pegs

Westerly, RI Guild? I used to sell Guilds after Fender bought them. The Chinese models were actually quite good. I sold my Mexican Strat. Didn't click with it.

4 475
 12-17-2020, 04:32 PM
User Info
Guild D4 purchased from a store 1992

69 2,088
 12-17-2020, 04:51 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 04:32 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Guild D4 purchased from a store 1992

So, you've had it a few years then? Haha!

4 475
 12-17-2020, 05:02 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • North Central Colorado, USA
User Info
I'll have to work on a list. I once (many years ago) went through a phase of seeking to compensate for lack of talent through conspicuous consumption.

Original '65 Fender Stratocaster. My favorite amps to play it through are a '59 Tweed Deluxe and '65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb. That's a Jimi Hendrix commemorative Zippo that a friend gave me as a twisted joke.

[Image: CB_w_FS_PHZ.jpg]

3 1,855
 12-17-2020, 05:07 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:02 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: I'll have to work on a list. I once (many years ago) went through a phase of seeking to compensate for lack of talent through conspicuous consumption.

Original '65 Fender Stratocaster. My favorite amps to play it through are a '59 Tweed Deluxe and '65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb. That's a Jimi Hendrix commemorative Zippo that a friend gave me as a twisted joke.

[Image: CB_w_FS_PHZ.jpg]
Wow, very nice!!! Great 3 tone sunburst. Those are some outstanding amps as well. Nothing else sounds like a Fender through a Fender.

4 475
 12-17-2020, 05:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good thread. I’m weirdly proud to confess that I haven’t had a trace of GAS in a very long time. For many years I had upwards of well over a dozen guitars stashed in various nooks and crannies. Over the years I have easily had 3 or 4 dozen acoustic and electric guitars, even a few electric basses. When I turned 50 I took delivery of a custom Martin OM. The guitar was years in the making. I was fortunate to have found a sympathetic ear in Martin’s then CS manager. He’s now a big deal in another capacity there. Anyway, Tim liked my ideas and what I wanted to accomplish with a custom build. Long story short, he personally built most of my guitar, save for some inlay work and finishing. It’s now almost a dozen years old and has turned into one of the three best acoustic guitars I’ve ever played. Also in my top three is my trusty ‘73 D-28. We’re together since September of 1974. I worked all spring and summer slinging ice cream cones at Carvel to save for what would soon become #1. It’s been modded and hot rodded and blows my mind to this day. It’s that good. The third great (GREAT!) acoustic guitar I’ve played belonged to Chris Martin. It was a CFM, Sr. “signature” D-45 in honor of what would have been the founder’s 200th birthday. Chris left it on display, available to be played, in the Nazareth Visitor’s Center for at least two years. I used to make an annual trip to the factory just for kicks, and played it on two consecutive visits. The sound of that guitar haunts me to this day. The other guitar that remains is a birth year 0-15. My Dad bought it as a gift shortly before he passed. One of the 0-15 photos below is from George Gruhn’s website. I wisely saved the pic before they took it down. The last photo is of three orgasm-inducing electrics that sadly no longer remain, as they became expendable and valuable when certain bills needed to be paid.

[Image: MqXTLgz.jpg][Image: L5S5oqT.jpg][Image: MDzIuBg.jpg][Image: KFpJ9sD.jpg][Image: qCz1gzp.jpg][Image: F7b0T5k.jpg]

19 4,798
 12-17-2020, 05:30 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
Sweet!

3 1,855
 12-17-2020, 05:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The Gear I've Had (That I Let Get Away)

Charlie Jaffe, C. 2007 & 2019

Oh, the gear I've had that I let get away
I wish I still had it to play today
Guitars and basses, pedals and amps
I think of them often and my eyes get damp

An Epiphone Sorrento from Kalamazoo
Had the soul of a Gibson all the way through
That sweet '67 was so tuneful and nice
I liked it so much that I once bought it twice
A New York made Olympic; an old '44
I got rid of that one to make room for more

A two pickup natural Fender D'Aquisto
The wood was so figured, good lord, it was mint!
I thought I would bebop for a very brief stint
A 'burst '72 Strat with maple neck so fat
I played it for years and then sold it like that!
Three bolt plate and a bullet in its head
Even with new frets that axe was just dead

A cherry SG Jr. circa ‘64
The nickel vibrato made me want to play more
That single P-90, oh man, how it screamed
Notes just jumped out and it played like a dream
The '69 ES-335 TDW that I played for years
My favorite electric, its memory brings tears.
A funky mahogany MK-35
That Mark Series job was a '75
And the heaviest guitar that I ever owned?
A '72 Deluxe, its weight made me groan!
A Thinline ES has gone to a new home
(near mint, all original minus a T-knob, ‘64 ES-125 TDC)
Their memory brings a tingle to my old bald dome

A couple of Harmonys were really quite nifty
Both Montereys, both from the Sixties
A white, mid-Sixties Hagstrom SG-shaped bass
Had its original plush tiger-striped case
A righty Beatle bass copy I never played sloppy
And a couple of Ricks, yes a couple of Ricks!
A Jetglo 450, a tin covered SD6
The cresting wave solid was '63-'64
The Forties lap steel had a Lucite fretboard

And how I do lust for guitars with twelve strings
A whole different breed, they make my heart sing
A mid-Sixties Gibson B25-12 was the first I did own
A beat up 70s Guild F-112 with orchestral tone
It's outrageous how they made a grown man moan!
An original Tube Screamer in bright seasick green
A Reverberocket so good it was totally obscene
A '55 Pro was my main gigging amp
At home I played a blackface Vibro Champ

And amazing but true, some Naz’ to report
All remembered fondly, the list relatively short:
‘64 F-50, '80 E-18, '92 00-21, '96 DC-16E.
What was I thinking? Yeah, what was I thinking?
You’d be within rights to ask if I’d been drinking
They were here for a while with momentary smiles
Yet they were expendable, despite wire bendable

All of this gear, all of these years
The sounds we made together
Were like the music to the story in my ears
Some pieces went in trades and others paid bills
Some pieces are gone 'cause I just had my fill
Still…

Guitars and basses, pedals and amps
I think of them often and my eyes get damp

[Image: 5w6diVF.jpg]

Apologies for the huge font. I’m having issues...

19 4,798
 12-17-2020, 05:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:30 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: Sweet!

Thanks, Ken. I dig your Strat. 3 color sunburst looks great!

19 4,798
 12-17-2020, 05:40 PM
User Info
Been collecting and playing for close to 20 years now.

My 2 Golden Era Gibson’s are a 1955 Les Paul Jr and a 1961 Les Paul Jr (SG body style).

My usual “players” are SG’s and Teles.

I’m actually more of an Amp guy... have a handful of Vintage Marshalls, Hiwatts and Fenders.

My modern player amps are mostly Germino’s (faithful, hardwired Marshall inspired amps).

66 604
 12-17-2020, 05:45 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:40 PM)Stubble Daddy Wrote: Been collecting and playing for close to 20 years now.

My 2 Golden Era Gibson’s are a 1955 Les Paul Jr and a 1961 Les Paul Jr (SG body style).

I actually more of an Amp guy... have a handful of Vintage Marshalls, Hiwatts and Fenders.

My modern player amps are mostly Germino’s (faithful, hardwired Marshall inspired amps).

I bet those Gibsons are sweet. I also play my Tele and SG's pretty much all the time. I only have 5 amps at the time. 3 guitar and 2 bass. US made solid state Crate, Fender Super Champ X2 FSR with blonde Rolex and a Cessation, and a Line 6 by Bogner. Bass amps are a Genz Benz Contour 500 and a Hartke VX3500 combo with paper cones.

4 475
 12-17-2020, 06:02 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:38 PM)chazt Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 05:30 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: Sweet!

Thanks, Ken. I dig your Strat. 3 color sunburst looks great!

I'm still working through your terrific poem (more like sonnet). Stopped to rest when I got to the '72 Deluxe. I have a '73 (three-bolt neck, blonde body) Deluxe. You're right about heavy!

3 1,855
 12-17-2020, 06:09 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:40 PM)Stubble Daddy Wrote: Been collecting and playing for close to 20 years now.

I’m actually more of an Amp guy... have a handful of Vintage Marshalls, Hiwatts and Fenders.

I have a Fender Champ amp ('61 I think; it's still in storage back in KS) with the original box (top torn off). Serial number is marked in grease pen on the side of the box.

3 1,855
 12-17-2020, 06:09 PM
User Info
(12-17-2020, 05:19 PM)chazt Wrote: Good thread. I’m weirdly proud to confess that I haven’t had a trace of GAS in a very long time. For many years I had upwards of well over a dozen guitars stashed in various nooks and crannies. Over the years I have easily had 3 or 4 dozen acoustic and electric guitars, even a few electric basses. When I turned 50 I took delivery of a custom Martin OM. The guitar was years in the making. I was fortunate to have found a sympathetic ear in Martin’s then CS manager. He’s now a big deal in another capacity there. Anyway, Tim liked my ideas and what I wanted to accomplish with a custom build. Long story short, he personally built most of my guitar, save for some inlay work and finishing. It’s now almost a dozen years old and has turned into one of the three best acoustic guitars I’ve ever played. Also in my top three is my trusty ‘73 D-28. We’re together since September of 1974. I worked all spring and summer slinging ice cream cones at Carvel to save for what would soon become #1. It’s been modded and hot rodded and blows my mind to this day. It’s that good. The third great (GREAT!) acoustic guitar I’ve played belonged to Chris Martin. It was a CFM, Sr. “signature” D-45 in honor of what would have been the founder’s 200th birthday. Chris left it on display, available to be played, in the Nazareth Visitor’s Center for at least two years. I used to make an annual trip to the factory just for kicks, and played it on two consecutive visits. The sound of that guitar haunts me to this day. The other guitar that remains is a birth year 0-15. My Dad bought it as a gift shortly before he passed. One of the 0-15 photos below is from George Gruhn’s website. I wisely saved the pic before they took it down. The last photo is of three orgasm-inducing electrics that sadly no longer remain, as they became expendable and valuable when certain bills needed to be paid.

[Image: MqXTLgz.jpg][Image: L5S5oqT.jpg][Image: MDzIuBg.jpg][Image: KFpJ9sD.jpg][Image: qCz1gzp.jpg][Image: F7b0T5k.jpg]

Custom Martins are amazing. We ordered a few over the years for some of our customers. I liked the OM-21 we had years back. I dig the mahogany 15 series you have. I was surprised by how the all mahogany sounded. Thought it would be dark without the Spruce top but it sounds great and projects well.

4 475