10-02-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
what do you guys with dry skin do to prep your face before a shave?

40 5,830
 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
In Maine in the winter everyone has dry skin. The solution is water.

I do a hot towel multiple times; the heat I use is for me, but the water is for the skin, then I face lather.

Then I follow the shave with a product that feeds the skin.

32 6,311
 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
(10-02-2012, 02:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: In Maine in the winter everyone has dry skin. The solution is water.

I do a hot towel multiple times; the heat I use is for me, but the water is for the skin, then I face lather.

do you just hold the hot towel on your face or do you rub your face with it?

and what do you mean by 'product that feeds the skin'?

40 5,830
 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
Wash my face. Dry it off. Splash more hot water on the face. Load the brush. More water. Lather. Shave. Rewet. Lather. Shave. Done.

9 2,988
 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
(10-02-2012, 02:23 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 02:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: In Maine in the winter everyone has dry skin. The solution is water.

do you just hold the hot towel on your face or do you rub your face with it?

and what do you mean by 'product that feeds the skin'?

Sorry, could I have been more vague? Biggrin

I have a basin of water at my suitable temperature (130+ for me, your's might be different). I use some of the soap I intend to lather with loaded onto my brush and I very lightly spread some on my face/beard. Then I use a 15x15 inch micro fiber towel and soak it in the basin, wring out the "loose" water, then double it over and hold it on my throat/face sort of like a huge dustmask. I do that multiple times, a few minutes in total. That charges the skin with water. BTW, I've used other towels but microfiber works best for this.

This towel

I didn't want to write the following and that's why I was deliberately vague. I use my product to moisturize the skin throughout the day. That's precisely why I made it... for my skin and our dry winter air.

32 6,311
 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM
User Info
Brian's advice seems great. i feel for you guys with dry skin.
Just a suggestion, but you may want to try using the products with the simplest and most "natural" ingredients as most of the common and well-known brands accelerate the dryness, especially the soaps. They are on your skin quite a bit, every day, so the simpler and natural the ingredients, the better.
i can not stress enough how great unrefined shea butter is for dry skin and you could give Kramperts Finest a try.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-03-2012, 02:36 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I use all of the above for my dry skin with the addition of Trumper's skin food after a moisturizing prep bar, Prairie Creations Pre-Shave Soap being the best one that I've found.
It's a lengthy method but it works for me and I usually shave at night because I get up for work very early so I have extra time.

So it's: Pre-Shave Wash
Hot Towel x2
Trumper's Skin Food
Moisturizing Soap or Cream
and Post Shave;
Krampert's Finest followed by
Unrefined Shea Butter and NEVER any more dry skin with this routine.

The USB on top of the already moisturizing Krampert's is magic. A second daily application of USB seals the deal.
So, I have to say that I no longer have dry, flaky skin because of Brian and Celestino! Biggrin

6 905
 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
Pre-Shave Shower and Trumper's Skin Food if I realllllly need it. Used to use the Proraso Pre-Shave but found it didn't make a big difference for me.

0 95
 10-06-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
Moisturize your face regularly.

0 257