12-27-2020, 10:18 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I scored a large stash of these blades today (25 blister packs of ten blades). I also have a stash of the variants of these same blades, and taken together they are sometimes called by some aficionados as the "Diagonal" due to the distinctive diagonal bar pattern on the top left of the blade itself.  

I rate these blades very highly, but they are apparently just a bit of a notch down from the English "New Stainless” which are the same blade, I am reliably informed, as the (American) Light Brigade. I have none of the "New Stainless" (with the distinctive blue lettering on the wrapper) so I cannot compare them. I am on the hunt for some of these (Edit: I do now! I posted another thread about the 180 I just bought).

Anyway, below a sneak preview of the diagonals that are on their way to me. They seem to be an Australian packaging, dating from 1974-79 (i.e. just after cessation of manufacture of the “New Stainless” (1969/70-73) and prior to the introduction of the bar code) but they are an English blade as per the back of the white plastic dispenser. 

Below that, a pic of some of the variants of what is the same blade, also with Australian packaging.The variation may be due to the specific year of production, but not much in that.

[Image: l3GSEcg.jpg]

Examples of my other "Diagonal" variants, noting also a pack of the Super Sword-Edge I have yet to try (1963, I am informed):

[Image: 3sRTcX8.jpg]

0 2,375
 12-29-2020, 04:09 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
A rare example of the much-vaunted Super Sword-Edge, possibly early-run 1963:

[Image: trhQPLh.jpg]

0 2,375
 12-31-2020, 02:20 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Arrived.

[Image: DJHGgIk.jpg]

0 2,375
 01-10-2021, 01:46 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Shaun, i only use vintage blades among which I have plenty of the Super Swords which are very good and a few of the rarest and usually most expensive of all my vintage stock, the Light Brigades which , to my knowledge, are the same as the Chromium Edge just artfully packaged. I've never come across what you are showing but at a guess I don't think they're the same blade as the LBs. Judging by how things progressed for all the other companies, just plain Stainless blades came first, Wilkinson was the first to market them around 1962 or so i think which is strange because Gillette had the original patent but decided not to produce them ( carbon blades were sharper and if you took proper post shave care of them the difference in longevity wasnt so big enough to matter they thought. Trouble was no one wanted to bother with that) then years later everyone produced Super Stainless, Gillette nicknamed theirs "Spoiler", so I think the ones that say Stainless are the original  and later then came Wilkinson's version of Super Stainless, the Super Sword sometime in the later '60s. 
All of the above comes from researching old magazine articles, hearsay from some old shave forum members who claimed a little insider knowledge and conjecture so some or more may be off or just downright wrong.

8 2,895
 01-10-2021, 02:05 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-10-2021, 01:46 AM)Mouser Wrote: Shaun, i only use vintage blades among which I have plenty of the Super Swords which are very good and a few of the rarest and usually most expensive of all my vintage stock, the Light Brigades which , to my knowledge, are the same as the Chromium Edge just artfully packaged. I've never come across what you are showing but at a guess I don't think they're the same blade as the LBs. Judging by how things progressed for all the other companies, just plain Stainless blades came first, Wilkinson was the first to market them in 1962, then years later everyone produced Super Stainless, Gillette nicknamed theirs "Spoiler", so I think the ones that say Stainless are the original of '62 and later then came Wilkinson's version of Super Stainless, the Super Sword sometime in the later '60s.

What you see are the same as the “Diagonals” which came out after the Super Sword-Edge (early 60s) which were then superseded by the ‘“New Stainless” which are the same blade as the Light Brigade. The LB and the New Stainless had a teflon coating over an atomised layer of chromium on the blade edge. New Stainless were marketed and sold in the UK and Commonwealth; the LB in the USA. Same blade.

The “diagonals” came after the LB/New Stainless, and the quality is not as good. They are, nevertheless a very good blade indeed!

0 2,375
 01-10-2021, 02:09 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-10-2021, 02:05 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 01:46 AM)Mouser Wrote: Shaun, i only use vintage blades among which I have plenty of the Super Swords which are very good and a few of the rarest and usually most expensive of all my vintage stock, the Light Brigades which , to my knowledge, are the same as the Chromium Edge just artfully packaged. I've never come across what you are showing but at a guess I don't think they're the same blade as the LBs. Judging by how things progressed for all the other companies, just plain Stainless blades came first, Wilkinson was the first to market them in 1962, then years later everyone produced Super Stainless, Gillette nicknamed theirs "Spoiler", so I think the ones that say Stainless are the original of '62 and later then came Wilkinson's version of Super Stainless, the Super Sword sometime in the later '60s.

What you see are the same as the “Diagonals” which came out after the Super Sword-Edge (early 60s) which were then superseded by the ‘“New Stainless” which are the same blade as the Light Brigade. The LB and the New Stainless had a teflon coating over an atomised layer of chromium on the blade edge. New Stainless were marketed and sold in the UK and Commonwealth; the LB in the USA. Same blade.

The “diagonals” came after the LB/New Stainless, and the quality is not as good. They are, nevertheless a very good blade indeed!
 Thanks, always looking to add to what I've gathered Infowise. I've edited my last post somewhat.
I was speculating based on what I know of the other big manufacturers whose blades came in the order of marked Stainless then Super Stainless then other variants followed.

8 2,895
 01-10-2021, 02:15 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Thanks, always looking to add to what I've gathered Infowise. I've edited my last post somewhat.
[/quote]

Yes! I edited my original post to removed any inadvertent ambiguity or confusion! I had never said these “diagonals” were the same as the Chromes/Light Brigades. I did say the the “New Stainless” which pre-dated the diagonals are the same blade as the Light Brigade. 

Here is a “New Stainless” but a year or so on after they were first introduced in 1969/70:

[Image: sDU98bO.jpg]
[Image: h0ktT2Q.jpg]

0 2,375
 01-31-2021, 07:53 AM
User Info
[Image: 5SAO1eQ.jpg]

Hey Shaun!  Do you have any just as above, but with “10” on the front and the vertical stripe?  Are they the same as the “New” blade in quality...a step up from the ones with the diagonal stripe?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

38 2,495
 01-31-2021, 11:29 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Sorry, no. I don't know. I have seen them, but have none.

0 2,375
 01-31-2021, 12:34 PM
User Info
Thanks!

Vr

Matt

38 2,495
 02-13-2021, 03:02 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
(12-31-2020, 02:20 AM)Shaun Wrote: Arrived.

I purchased the remaining 19 packs she had. Good blades they are double sealed. Just tried my first one today, these shaved extremely smooth, smoother than other Diagonal blades I've tried in the past. Nearly on the same level as the Light Brigades I have which I wasnt expecting.

3 76
 02-13-2021, 05:29 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Dalejr Wrote:

I purchased the remaining 19 packs she had. Good blades they are double sealed. Just tried my first one today, these shaved extremely smooth, smoother than other Diagonal blades I've tried in the past. Nearly on the same level as the Light Brigades I have which I wasnt expecting.

Very good to know. And I am pleased you got them. Let me know how many shaves you manage with the one blade. What razor are you using?

0 2,375
 02-13-2021, 07:17 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
(02-13-2021, 05:29 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:02 PM)Dalejr Wrote:

Very good to know. And I am pleased you got them. Let me know how many shaves you manage with the one blade. What razor are you using?
I will keep you posted when I finish with the blade. Toggle is my daily user.

3 76
 02-15-2021, 06:16 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
(01-31-2021, 07:53 AM)Ols67 Wrote: [Image: 5SAO1eQ.jpg]

Hey Shaun!  Do you have any just as above, but with “10” on the front and the vertical stripe?  Are they the same as the “New” blade in quality...a step up from the ones with the diagonal stripe?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt
These are sadly not New's despite the similar black and gold outer label, they are the diagonal or Sword Masters. Still good blades but not worth what he's asking for them. I contacted him and almost bought them all then and there but something told me to ask for more pictures and glad I did.[Image: 9Gx3ZjP.jpg]

3 76
 02-15-2021, 06:28 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Good to know this! Thank you for investigating, D. Appreciated.

0 2,375