10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Long story, short version here -- I recently took advantage of the offer in this thread, Elm House D.R. Harris brushes offer, and ordered myself a H2, but due to certain events I ended up receiving H3 with the understanding I could return it if I didn't like it.

Yesterday I received the H3 and my initial thought was, it's larger than all the shaving brushes I currently use and might not workout for the best (100% face lather here)...

DR Harris H3 spec's
  • Overall height: 100mm
  • Loft: 50mm
  • Base: 50mm
  • Knot: 28mm
[Image: YuLSw.jpg]

DR Harris H3 - Ivory Handle - Best Badger shaving brush

[Image: Lhye7.jpg]

(L to R) DR Harris H3, TOBS RT1S
DR Harris H3 -- Height: 100mm / Loft: 50mm / Base: 50mm / Knot: 28mm
TOBS RT1S -- Height: 85mm / Loft: 43mm / Base: 42mm / Knot: 22mm

The H3 is (very) well made, the handle feels solid, has good weight, is comfortable to hold (and use) due to its "classic" shape and overall size. The knot is (very) well packed, not Simpsons Chubby packed territory, but none the less a (very) well packed knot. What can I say about the Best Badger hair? This is the good stuff (straight from the top shelf), the hairs are fine (thin), the tips are creamy white and "strokably" soft to the touch -- as Teiste and others have already called it, these "H" series DR Harris brushes contain "Silvertip" hair, no question about it.

Yesterday evening I took the H3 on its maiden voyage, wow! did this brush deliver -- especially in one important area where I felt the Simpsons Chubby 2 was left a bit wanting.

The H3 picked up shaving soap (Mike’s Natural Soaps - Rose & Cedarwood) with ease, I believe it would be safe to say this brush would eat its way through a puck of soap without a problem if you let it.

When used via painting strokes the hair is soft, with no noticeable scritch or scratch. Being a large (diameter), well packed knot with a shortish loft you're made aware of a wall of badger with good backbone, but at the same time there appears to be the perfect amount of give (no doubt due to the fine hairs), which in turn allows the knot to give up its lather without a fight ie The H3 has good flow through -- this is where I personally felt the Chubby 2 was left wanting a little, the lather almost had to be coaxed out of the super densely packed knot.

When used via circular, scrubbing motions (not my preferred method of building lather on my face) I could feel a little bit of scritch (not scratch), nothing unpleasant and the knot opens up nicely to release the soap/lather within.

All in all, the DR Harris H3 is a keeper (sorry Teiste) and will sit nicely alongside my Taylor of Old Bond Street RT1S. I'm now halfway to my quaternity collection of fine (London) gentlemen pharmacy shaving brushes...

[Image: LPBV4.jpg]

DR Harris H3 post-bloom

[Image: 4vEtt.jpg]

DR Harris H3 post-bloom

Edit: Added a couple of relevant links and fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great write up Mike these are very nice looking and tempting!!

115 1,692
 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike :

sorry to hear that you like the brush!24 It seems like a great brush , my friend.I have the 1 and the 2 and theyre excellent brushes , and this one seems very nice too.

Well , maybe we can swap our brushes in the near future.Biggrin

Thanks for the review , my friend.

86 7,123
 10-02-2012, 10:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Mike. Now I have something else to think about.

173 23,546
 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh wow, another one to think about Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Gents

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm not just saying it, the H3 is a joy to use, really makes me feel like I'm being pampered...

(10-02-2012, 07:45 PM)Teiste Wrote: Well , maybe we can swap our brushes in the near future.Biggrin

Teiste, we can definitely set-up a swap in the not too distance future, would love to compare your "vintage" H1 and H2 against my "modern" H3.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
Now I regret not to have bought the H3 also! Tongue
Great review, Mike! Thumbsup

2 5,532
 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Very nice write-up, Mike. The brush looks great, but is sure is a big one! Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-04-2012, 07:55 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Now I regret not to have bought the H3 also! Tongue
Great review, Mike! Thumbsup

Im going to be honest : me too Facepalm That was a good price ,even when shipping fees to USA were ridiculous expensive.

86 7,123
 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
How little were they?

9 2,988
 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Mike. It sounds like a really good brush. And good luck with your quest for the Big 4.

184 12,003
 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-04-2012, 07:44 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: How little were they?

Like 24 pounds to ship this one , for what I remember....Facepalm
However , shipping fees for the 1 were much cheaper Huh

86 7,123
 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, that Dr Harris H3 is stunning!

91 17,854
 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
The Harris brush apparently was made by Rooney. Was the Taylor brush also made by them, Mike (or anyone else who knows)?

184 12,003
 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-04-2013, 05:25 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: The Harris brush apparently was made by Rooney. Was the Taylor brush also made by them, Mike (or anyone else who knows)?

I believe both Vulfix and Rooney have made brushes for TOBS...

TOBS Vulfix

TOBS Rooney

(Not my pics)

91 17,854
 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 05:25 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: The Harris brush apparently was made by Rooney. Was the Taylor brush also made by them, Mike (or anyone else who knows)?

What is your evidence that Rooney made the Harris brush?

Michael

24 276
 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
The only evidence anyone actually puts forth that Rooney makes any other brushes other than Rooney & M&F is that they have the same handle shape. However, Mark explicitly states that Rooney ripped the handle style off from Vulfix.

9 2,988
 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-04-2013, 06:19 PM)monarch2001 Wrote:

What is your evidence that Rooney made the Harris brush?

Michael

Michael , I ask you the same question but in a different order : do you have any evidence that Rooney is not behind some of those models?

I actually talked by phone a couple months ago with the Truefitt and Hill USA director , and I asked him regarding the T&H brushes , and who were the makers behind them : his answer was clear , Vulfix and Rooney , so I guess Rooney also makes brushes for the other "London brands" , like Taylor , D.R. Harris and Geo F Trumper.

But , the world of wet shaving is full of speculation , since many times , we cant get the straight info from the sellers or even the makers.

86 7,123
 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 07:33 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The only evidence anyone actually puts forth that Rooney makes any other brushes other than Rooney & M&F is that they have the same handle shape. However, Mark explicitly states that Rooney ripped the handle style off from Vulfix.

And where is the evidence that Rooney has anything to do with M&F ?

We know that Lee S makes the M&F brushes, and that he probably has had close relations with Rooney, but Lee Sabini's M&F brushes could for all we know just be closely inspired by Rooney, but is made by lee Sabini.

So unless Lee S himself were and stil is the sole man behind Rooney, Rooney does not make M&F brushes. Lee does Smile

Lee use a lot of the same handle designs as Rooney and also use some of the same hair, but other than that we don't know if Rooney has anything to do at all with M&F.

22 5,064
 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-04-2013, 08:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 07:33 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The only evidence anyone actually puts forth that Rooney makes any other brushes other than Rooney & M&F is that they have the same handle shape. However, Mark explicitly states that Rooney ripped the handle style off from Vulfix.

And where is the evidence that Rooney has anything to do with M&F ?

We know that Lee S makes the M&F brushes, and that he probably has had close relations with Rooney, but Lee Sabini's M&F brushes could for all we know just be closely inspired by Rooney, but is made by lee Sabini.

So unless Lee S himself were and stil is the sole man behind Rooney, Rooney does not make M&F brushes. Lee does Smile

Lee use a lot of the same handle designs as Rooney and also use some of the same hair, but other than that we don't know if Rooney has anything to do at all with M&F.

Lee Sabini have bought both R.A. Rooney and Morris and Forndran , Claus.He bought Rooney back in 2005 or so , from Priscilla Rooney , for what I understand.Maybe somebody like squire could bring more info about it.

86 7,123