12-30-2020, 05:26 PM
User Info
I was just wondering about this. I know there are many variables, but assuming all things are equal, would a sharper blade such as a Feather get more shaves per blade than a duller razor?

2 260
 12-30-2020, 05:30 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Well, just my humble, but me, I'd use a sharper blade longer than a dull one ..

77 746
 12-30-2020, 05:57 PM
User Info
With regard to feather DE blades, no - sharper doesn’t equal more shaves. I was able to get a maximum of 3 shaves from feathers, versus a Gillette silver blue or a Israeli personna red - both not as sharp, yet I could reliably get 5 shaves.

This is an old thread, but more details here on various blades and # of shaves: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=29799

36 2,162
 12-30-2020, 06:14 PM
User Info
(12-30-2020, 05:30 PM)garyg Wrote: Well, just my humble, but me, I'd use a sharper blade longer than a dull one ..

I don't disagree. I used a blade recently that I used when I started about 10 years a go and I didn't like it. Shave was fine but I didn't like the feel. And they weren't necessarily cheaper than other blades that I prefer. And even if they were, I wouldn't likely buy them again.

2 260
 12-30-2020, 07:35 PM
User Info
There are subjective elements involved here.  However, in my experience, a sharper blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.  I have also found that a more expensive blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.

60 10,690
 12-30-2020, 07:47 PM
User Info
(12-30-2020, 07:35 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: There are subjective elements involved here.  However, in my experience, a sharper blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.  I have also found that a more expensive blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.

Yeah, I understand there are a lot of things going in to a shave as well as a lot of factors that dull a blade. One person may get more or less shaves out of the same blade than someone else. I was just curious I suppose if a sharper blade dulled slower. Some of my blades cost less than my Feathers and I have gotten easily 5 great shaves or more out of them. I haven't gone more than 3-5 shaves out of my Feathers or any of my blades as of late. I figure I'll swap then while l am still getting great shaves. Even at the cost of more expensive blades, it is still certainly not going to break the bank.

2 260
 12-30-2020, 08:08 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Sharper does not always equal 'better' or 'more shaves' IMO.  There are just too many other variables.

Feathers were all I used for a year or more.  But agree with most - 3 shaves, maybe 4 tops, if you dry and flip.  But I seldom want to put in the effort to do that. 
Israeli reds before that, and the 'Original' eBay variant of the Crystals before that - either would go 5 shaves in a RedTip or 23c. 

It was reported a good 20 years ago on one of the original shaving blogs that the guy could get a great shave with the first use with a Feather.
Everything after that was a blood letting.  Now IIRC, that particular blogger used a ~40s SuperSpeed, which don't benefit from the engineering we have now, though I"m sure folks use that combination with success.

17 189
 12-30-2020, 08:18 PM
User Info
(12-30-2020, 08:08 PM)norton Wrote: Sharper does not always equal 'better' or 'more shaves' IMO.  There are just too many other variables.

Feathers were all I used for a year or more.  But agree with most - 3 shaves, maybe 4 tops, if you dry and flip.  But I seldom want to put in the effort to do that. 
Israeli reds before that, and the 'Original' eBay variant of the Crystals before that - either would go 5 shaves in a RedTip or 23c. 

It was reported a good 20 years ago on one of the original shaving blogs that the guy could get a great shave with the first use with a Feather.
Everything after that was a blood letting.  Now IIRC, that particular blogger used a ~40s SuperSpeed, which don't benefit from the engineering we have now, though I"m sure folks use that combination with success.

I understand there are a lot of variables, it was a general curiosity. I have 3 shaves on my feather now and I'm going one more. I do take it out and dry it but honestly never even thought of flipping it. I never really paid attention when I took the blade or which way I put it back in. So far the 3 shaves have been stellar.

2 260
 12-30-2020, 08:39 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
The biggest variable = you.  Smile 

Seriously - everyone has different preferences and expectations - and skin. 
If what you're doing works for you - I say roll with it.

17 189
 01-05-2021, 01:47 PM
User Info
(12-30-2020, 08:39 PM)norton Wrote: The biggest variable = you.  Smile 

Seriously - everyone has different preferences and expectations - and skin. 
If what you're doing works for you - I say roll with it.

I agree. I just had my 4th shave with the Feather and I would say my cut off is 3. I had much more growth than usual. Good, close shave but a little less efficient than the last one.

2 260
 01-05-2021, 09:10 PM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
I get 3-5 shaves from a relatively sharp modern blade such as a Polsilver or a Perma-sharp.

I get at least 10 shaves from a NOS vintage blade from the Golden Era such as a Gillette Swede, English Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Spoiler, etc, etc.
These vintage blades are as sharp or sharper than a modern Polsilver or Perma-sharp.  A comparison with Feather is difficult, as Feather blades are very sharp, but at least for me have poor lengevity.
Thd sharpest blades I have used are the vintage Gillette Royal (Made in England), and Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade.  Whilst we all learn via muscle memory to use a light touch when shaving, I find that I have to take this one step further with these two blades, and if so, get absolutely flawless shaves.

2 309
 01-05-2021, 09:34 PM
User Info
(01-05-2021, 09:10 PM)TomG Wrote: I get 3-5 shaves from a relatively sharp modern blade such as a Polsilver or a Perma-sharp.

I get at least 10 shaves from a NOS vintage blade from the Golden Era such as a Gillette Swede, English Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Spoiler, etc, etc.
These vintage blades are as sharp or sharper than a modern Polsilver or Perma-sharp.  A comparison with Feather is difficult, as Feather blades are very sharp, but at least for me have poor lengevity.
Thd sharpest blades I have used are the vintage Gillette Royal (Made in England), and Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade.  Whilst we all learn via muscle memory to use a light touch when shaving, I find that I have to take this one step further with these two blades, and if so, get absolutely flawless shaves.

Yeah, on the 4th shave today with he Feather I did have some pulling and tugging and the first pass wasn't as clean as it had been on the shave before. I seem to have gotten the most shaves out of a Gillette Nacet so far. I'm looking around 3-5 also, but it definitely seems to be 3 on the Feather.

2 260
 01-06-2021, 04:48 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(12-30-2020, 07:35 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: There are subjective elements involved here.  However, in my experience, a sharper blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.  I have also found that a more expensive blade does not necessarily mean more shaves per blade.

Yes, other factors.  Gillette sat on their patent for a stainless blade because their carbon blade was sharper.  Didn't last as long but it was sharper and Gillette thought their customers preferred that.

8 2,866
 01-13-2021, 03:52 AM
User Info
I can't have more than 3 or at the most 4 shaves irrespective of however sharp the blade is

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

0 27
 11 hours ago
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-06-2021, 04:48 PM)Mouser Wrote: Yes, other factors.  Gillette sat on their patent for a stainless blade because their carbon blade was sharper.  Didn't last as long but it was sharper and Gillette thought their customers preferred that.

As we used to say in college, ontology recapitulates phylogeny.  (Look it up.)

Not that long ago, when the best kitchen knives in the United States came from Germany and France and almost no one outside of Japan had heard of Japanese knives, chefs all knew that German knives and French knives were different schools.  German knives were made from harder steels -- stainless steels -- with thicker spines and greater weight than French knives, and kept their edges longer between sharpenings.  French knives, on the other hand, were made from softer steels -- carbon steels -- with thinner profiles that could be honed to sharper edges than German knives could boast, but needed to be sharpened mire frequently than German knives needed to be sharpened.  One could argue personal preferences, but no one could establish to all others' satisfaction which school -- German or French -- produced unequivocally better knives.  

Analogous choices face the producers of razor blades in 2021.

I alternate (exclusively, these days) between two Japanese DE blades, Feather and KAI, on a per-blade rotation, and, with several years' experience now following that rotation, I can state unequivocally that each of those two brands of blade is better than the other.

1 1,461