10-02-2012, 04:19 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Here is a beauty I picked up this weekend. The handle was in three pieces and the crack is long, but the whole set looked unused or barely used. No sign of soap or wear at all. I suspect the handle cracked early on in its life and it went into storage for 80 years until it surfaced in my local antique store.

I epoxied the ball into place first, then after it was cured I filled the hollow of the handle with epoxy and installed the threaded ferule and clamped the whole thing in my desk vice (plastic jaws) so as to squeeze the crack together. It cured that way and now the crack is completely stabilized. Some epoxy oozed out of the crack initially and I cleaned it up. Now the handle is very sturdy and stable.

Enjoy:

25 1,705
 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
Very nice find! It does look relatively unused, for its age.

2 362
 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You did an excellent job fixing the handle and polishing up the razor. Congratulations.

100 12,445
 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
A new lease on life! Very nice job.

47 1,270
 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
User Info
I like that repair. Nice! I especially like that the crack can still be seen. IMO that just gives it character since they are known for that characteristic.

I have a handle in worse shape than yours. I might discuss getting it plated first then do as you did to restore it.

32 6,309
 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Very nice!

88 4,233
 10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Nicely done on the handle repair Thumbsup

Though I have to say the razor head is the piece de resistance Babeando

23 1,872
 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen, for the kind words. I find that the cracked handles on the old Gillettes are very much repairable. I repaired on on the New LC I bought a while ago. That one was much more used, but had shorter cracks. I did a similar repair, only I did not fill the entire tube, just enough to cover the crack. This one had such a long crack that I decide to just fill it with epoxy thereby shoring up its integrity and adding a little weight as well. I think an even better repair may be to insert some sort of ballast weight such as a length of brass rod and then fill with epoxy. The next ball end handle I find with a crack is going to get that treatment. I also like the fact that the crack is not hidden as it just adds to the character of this old piece of equipment. I don't want it to look new. Though the razor most likely has not been used much or at all. Despite the crack the handle looks practically new. There is no coating or plating on this handle, just brass. The head may have some coating or it may just be polished. It looks new. This thing is probably from the 1920's or so. That's amazing. Definitely a piece for the "Museum" part of my den.

25 1,705
 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Looks very fine. Well done with the job!

0 284
 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
User Info
Nice repair. Great to see a beautiful old razor saved.

0 98