01-23-2021, 01:26 AM
User Info
I appreciate you guys posting the pics in this thread. The ones that show “new” printed on them is what I think I used. I think it was a 5 pack with a white or creamish plastic blade tuck. I can’t remember right now what they were called, I may have bought them off the bst or the fleabay. I found them to be one of the most enjoyable blade I had ever used in the BBS-1 ever. I’m not sure I remember using that blade pack with any other DE razors. Shaun, I did get a pack of the London Bridge from China a while back but haven’t used them yet.

87 1,812
 01-23-2021, 01:53 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-23-2021, 01:26 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I appreciate you guys posting the pics in this thread. The ones that show “new” printed on them is what I think I used. I think it was a 5 pack with a white or creamish plastic blade tuck. I can’t remember right now what they were called, I may have bought them off the bst or the fleabay. I found them to be one of the most enjoyable blade I had ever used in the BBS-1 ever. I’m not sure I remember using that blade pack with any other DE razors. Shaun, I did get a pack of the London Bridge from China a while back but haven’t used them yet.

There are pillars of the English London Bridge blades on the well-known auction site. Beats me why they aren’t flying off the shelves. Still not well-enough known about? Who can say. Light Brigade (LB) and London Bridge (LB). See? I am uncertain as to how long the London Bridge were manufactured, but manufacture commenced at the very same time as the New Stainless and the Light Brigade.

0 2,353
 01-23-2021, 08:33 AM
User Info
[Image: jbsE4dI.jpg][Image: UV6zpL2.jpg]
Gents,

I tried my first Wilkinson NEW blade from 1969/1970...the initial shave was every bit as good as the initial shaves I get from the fabled Wilkinson Light Brigade Blades.  I will now shave every other day with this blade to see if it evolves as a Light Brigade does, so far same legendary sharpness...same legendary smoothness.

Thanks again Shaun for starting this thread!

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 01-26-2021, 11:10 AM
User Info
3rd shave today on the Wilkinson “NEW” blade from 1969/1970...sublime...and right there with a vintage Light Brigade or vintage London Bridge.  Fingers crossed for the next 12 shaves!

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 01-27-2021, 03:57 PM
User Info
300 of the 420 have arrived!  
[Image: f3P0vcI.jpg]

38 2,451
 01-28-2021, 02:26 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Just a comment about the Light Brigades.  Back when I made the decision to only use vintage blades I also committed to not paying exorbitant prices for them. Because one of their qualities above modern was their extended longevity i was ok with paying more but within reason, so by bidding low on all the ones that came up I was able to win one or two out of ten and slowly build up a substantial stash of all the ones I wanted,..except for Light Brigades.  They were never offered for bid only very high set prices and my offers for less were never accepted.  I don't know if only a small number were made but they also came/come up far less often so while I eventually ended up with over two hundred Personna 74's for instance,  I never got above thirty LBs.

8 2,878
 01-28-2021, 02:48 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-28-2021, 02:26 AM)Mouser Wrote: Just a comment about the Light Brigades.  Back when I made the decision to only use vintage blades I also committed to not paying exorbitant prices for them. Because one of their qualities above modern was their extended longevity i was ok with paying more but within reason, so by bidding low on all the ones that came up I was able to win one or two out of ten and slowly build up a substantial stash of all the ones I wanted,..except for Light Brigades.  They were never offered for bid only very high set prices and my offers for less were never accepted.  I don't know if only a small number were made but they also came/come up far less often so while I eventually ended up with over two hundred Personna 74's for instance,  I never got above thirty LBs.

Yes. I don’t see value in paying extortionate prices. I will pay what I think is a fair price. I did purchase 100 Personna 74s for $100US, plus shipping. That was a good price.

0 2,353
 01-28-2021, 05:11 AM
User Info
The price and performance are two of the reasons I am so excited about the Wilkinson “NEW” blades from 1969/1970.  

While the packaging, blade markings, and the original markets they were sold in are different from the Light Brigade...both blades were made by Wilkinson, both Made in England, both hit their respective markets at the same time, both used the words “new” and “chromium” in their ads, and so far the performance is the same for the first four shaves.  The next 10-15 shaves will tell the tale, and I will report back.[Image: qsFeBhq.jpg][Image: irVkrEj.jpg]

The best part is that the Wilkinson “NEW” blades can be had for far less than what one would pay for a Light Brigade blade!  They just aren’t as well known, or are likely one of the best kept secrets out there!

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 01-29-2021, 04:22 PM
User Info
Matt, thanks for posting about the “New Stainless”, I was able to buy some of the red cards before she sold out.

98 2,607
 01-29-2021, 06:17 PM
User Info
(01-29-2021, 04:22 PM)Jmartz Wrote: Matt, thanks for posting about the “New Stainless”, I was able to buy some of the red cards before she sold out.

My pleasure John, and thanks to Shaun, because without the original post, I would have had no clue about these “New” blades!

Please let us know how they work for you! I will do the same once I get to 15 shaves with it, if the blade goes that far.

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 02-04-2021, 05:22 PM
User Info
Gents,

I had two pillars of these arrive...apparently they made dispensers of 3.

The new blade gets its 10th go tomorrow, and I am looking forward to hitting double digits!  The first 9 shaves were exemplary!

Vr

Matt

[Image: qhDGFM9.jpg][Image: lJ83X2X.jpg][Image: fntWuwe.jpg][Image: y27Yoya.jpg]

38 2,451
 02-09-2021, 12:26 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-04-2021, 05:22 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Gents,

I had two pillars of these arrive...apparently they made dispensers of 3.

The new blade gets its 10th go tomorrow, and I am looking forward to hitting double digits!  The first 9 shaves were exemplary!

Vr

Matt

[Image: qhDGFM9.jpg][Image: lJ83X2X.jpg][Image: fntWuwe.jpg][Image: y27Yoya.jpg]

I've found that packaging of blades by threes uniquely British in my experience. Not only Wilkinson but the Great Britain version of Persona Super Stainless as well. While I have many tucks of five I have a large folded card of twenty boxes of three. In my moderately extensive collection I've never come across American made blades in offerings of three. Some dispensers of two, mostly Schick, but never three.

8 2,878
 02-09-2021, 02:57 PM
User Info
The only other ones I have seen, as you said, were British...if memory serves me...the Light Brigades were sold in tucks of 2, as little samples on the card...not in a pillar.

When the Light Brigades and “New” blades were initially sold...Wilkinson was trying to capture a vast swath of the razor blade market by blowing the competition out of the water with quality that was mostly unmatched at the time, and hasn’t been matched since (Personna 74 and Wilkinson London Bridge in same category for sharpness, smoothness, and longevity). I suspect they sold these tucks with just a few blades so people could try them for cheap, and get hooked.

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 02-12-2021, 09:32 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
And now we have a scammer on the well-known auction site using the image of the pillar box and the Chemist and Druggist article selling ten Wilkinson Sword blades which are NOT New Stainless. How do I know? The liar is selling blades in wrappers with black script, not the tell-tale blue.

Buyer beware!

Edit: I may be mistaken, but I just didn’t like the thought of scalpers taking advantage. We don’t want a tulip bulb craze.

0 2,353
 02-13-2021, 04:21 AM
User Info
Terrible...I couldnt find them on eBay...I hope someone didn’t buy them thinking they were getting something special.

In other news, I just did shave number 13 yesterday on my first blade, and it was beautiful...no sign of slowing down.

Vr

Matt

38 2,451
 02-15-2021, 11:06 AM
User Info
15th shave, and the “New” blade has not shown one hint of slowing down...superb shave with Mitchell’s Wool Fat, and a trusted 1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat!

Vr

Matt

[Image: umXL5Ru.jpg]

38 2,451
 02-15-2021, 06:40 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
(02-12-2021, 09:32 PM)Shaun Wrote: And now we have a scammer on the well-known auction site using the image of the pillar box and the Chemist and Druggist article selling ten Wilkinson Sword blades which are NOT New Stainless. How do I know? The liar is selling blades in wrappers with black script, not the tell-tale blue.

Buyer beware!

He's updated it with the correct ones, assuming they are his pictures.

1 58
 02-20-2021, 10:17 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
The one I am using with my Hoffritz slant is really giving me quite a remarkable shave, I must say. Is it a Wilkie or is it a P74 Wink

The right combination is key. The slant is giving me a far better shave than the same blade used in a Fatboy.

0 2,353