02-07-2021, 12:32 PM
User Info
I want to share with the forum my success with blending what I already consider excellent shaving soaps for even better results.

For example, yesterday I loaded a damp brush with Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica and worked it into a lather in a bowl containing a bit of Musgo Real Oak Moss shaving cream, a few drops of argan oil and maybe 3/4 teaspoon of warm water.

Saponificio Varesino soap and Musgo Real cream are, by themselves, among my favorites but putting the two together works better.

The addition of the argan oil – refreshingly inexpensive from Walgreen’s – adds superb and lasting lubrication.

This combination produced a fantastically rich, moist and slippery lather with long staying power that led to one of my closest totally irritation-free shaves ever.

YMMV

“The more you know, the less you need.”  Yvon Chouinard

0 71
 02-07-2021, 07:23 PM
User Info
I used to do Superlather all the time 6-8 years ago, when I had trouble getting a good enough lather from a particular cream or soap.

Mixing a cream with a soap almost always seems to make the best of both products.

I don’t do it any longer, I seem to be able to make very consistent good to great lather from the soaps I use now.

But superlather is always a great way to improve upon the lather quality.

I taught my father to use a brush and make his own lather 3-4 years ago.
Showed him to Superlather a cream and a soap - and to this day he still makes his Superlather in his bowl every morning.

25 7,007
 02-08-2021, 01:32 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience, Claus, which adds to my appreciation of this new (to me) lathering technique.

0 71
 02-09-2021, 06:44 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I was on a long line at the local whole foods and to pass the time I began reading labels. I picked up a bottle of Dr. Bronners lavender liquid soap and my eyes picked up shaving? As anyone who has a bottle of Dr B's soap knows that the good Doctor waxes eloquently on what his soap can do for you. One item I had missed was shaving. I used about a dime's worth of Dr. B's as a preshave soap leaving the suds on my face before applying my bowl prepared brush. I was using Wholly Kaw Dark Vetiver already an A listed product in my book. The result was a noticeably denser lather on my face, noticeably more glide, and an even better aftershave face feel. All other shaving soaps responded in a similar way. Now I wouldn't consider shaving without a dot of Dr. B's soap. I think it improves every soap I have used in this way.

0 518
 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
We use Bronner’s liquid soap for hand washing, pretty much exclusively now. It never occurred to me to try it as you describe. Will give it a go later.

19 5,046
 02-10-2021, 09:17 AM
User Info
(02-09-2021, 06:44 AM)RyznRio Wrote: I was on a long line at the local whole foods and to pass the time I began reading labels. I picked up a bottle of Dr. Bronners lavender liquid soap and my eyes picked up shaving? As anyone who has a bottle of Dr B's soap knows that the good Doctor waxes eloquently on what his soap can do for you. One item I had missed was shaving. I used about a dime's worth of Dr. B's as a preshave soap leaving the suds on my face before applying my bowl prepared brush. I was using Wholly Kaw Dark Vetiver already an A listed product in my book. The result was a noticeably denser lather on my face, noticeably more glide, and an even better aftershave face feel. All other shaving soaps responded in a similar way. Now I wouldn't consider shaving without a dot of Dr. B's soap. I think it improves every soap I have used in this way.

Nice! I always have Dr. Bronner's on hand, but never thought of using it this way. Looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow! Thanks for the tip.

2 10
 02-12-2021, 07:37 AM
User Info
Tried a squirt of diluted Dr. B in one of my Stirling samples yesterday and this morning and noticed a difference. 

Depending on which Dr. B you are using, you might wind up with some unusual scent combinations ( for better or worse).

The almond Dr. B really overpowered the soap I was using today, but it was still pleasant and the lather was dense and slick.

2 10
 02-18-2021, 12:39 PM
User Info
I need to try adding a bit of shave cream to soap. I'm new at this and eager to learn.

0 50
 04-20-2021, 07:04 PM
User Info
I like Proraso Green shave cream but just too much menthol for me.  Now I cut down on the amount of Proraso I normally use and add some Derby Normal.  Now I get the amount of menthol I like.

P.S. - Never have smelled much of the Eucalyptus anyways.

0 42
 05-23-2021, 05:19 AM
User Info
(04-20-2021, 07:04 PM)Chappy Wrote: I like Proraso Green shave cream but just too much menthol for me.  Now I cut down on the amount of Proraso I normally use and add some Derby Normal.  Now I get the amount of menthol I like.

P.S. - Never have smelled much of the Eucalyptus anyways.

0 216
 05-23-2021, 05:23 AM
User Info
I do this all the time and agree that great soaps and creams are even better. Just now I am using hard musgo real soap , grated and mixed with castle Forbes cream. Lather is outstanding. My opinion is that the best qualities of each is enhanced.

0 216