02-24-2021, 04:56 PM
User Info
I had revelation in the bathroom where all good ideas are born. I usually shave every other day or 2 days whichever is right. 2 Days growth. I do 2 passes and get the close, smooth shave I want. So, I was wondering if I did just my seconds pass the day after I shaved if I would get the desired closeness. So today I tried this. I used the same prep, razor, and blade but different soap. Hence, the unscientific part. I did just my second pass and got exactly what I would get with my usual 2 passes. Now to make this slightly more accurate and scientific, next time I will wait the 2 days and try just the second pass and see what the results are. Stay tuned.....

4 639
 02-24-2021, 05:08 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-24-2021, 04:56 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
I had revelation in the bathroom where all good ideas are born. I usually shave every other day or 2 days whichever is right. 2 Days growth. I do 2 passes and get the close, smooth shave I want. So, I was wondering if I did just my seconds pass the day after I shaved if I would get the desired closeness. So today I tried this. I used the same prep, razor, and blade but different soap. Hence, the unscientific part. I did just my second pass and got exactly what I would get with my usual 2 passes. Now to make this slightly more accurate and scientific, next time I will wait the 2 days and try just the second pass and see what the results are. Stay tuned.....
When you say second pass, do you mean what direction you make your pass?

8 2,895
 02-24-2021, 05:59 PM
User Info
(02-24-2021, 05:08 PM)Mouser Wrote:

Yes. I should have clarified that. My second pass I go against the grain on my face. I go across the grain on my neck no matter how many. My neck is way too sensitive to go across and I have issues going with the grain due to my arthritis.

4 639
 02-25-2021, 03:04 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-24-2021, 05:59 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 05:08 PM)Mouser Wrote:

Yes. I should have clarified that. My second pass I go against the grain on my face. I go across the grain on my neck no matter how many. My neck is way too sensitive to go across and I have issues going with the grain due to my arthritis.
That's unusual to have more of a sensitivity issue going across than against,  but different  strokes for different folks......get it? Bad attempt  at humor.  Anyways I'm interested in this and later I'll share one of my little comparison experiments.

8 2,895
 02-25-2021, 10:57 AM
User Info
(02-25-2021, 03:04 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 05:59 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 05:08 PM)Mouser Wrote: When you say second pass, do you mean what direction you make your pass?

That's unusual to have more of a sensitivity issue going across than against,  but different  strokes for different folks......get it? Bad attempt  at humor.  Anyways I'm interested in this and later I'll share one of my little comparison experiments.

I read my last comment and it may not have made sense. I go across the grain on my neck no matter how many passes I do. Against the grain on my neck is too rough for me. I can't really goes with the grain as my hair grows from the middle of neck towards my ears on both sides and I have an issue holding the razor that way and I can't shave efficiently or hold the razor where I feel safe. Different strokes, indeed. Look forward to your experiment. That's part of the fun, trying new things.

4 639
 02-26-2021, 05:34 PM
User Info
Ok, part two. I had my 2 days growth and I did a single pass, against the grain on my face and across the grain on my neck. I have to say it was a great, clean, smooth shave. I got as close as I did with one day growth and doing 2 passes with 2 days growth. I am very happy with the shave I got today. I may likely try to start shaving a bit more frequently though. Sometimes I want shave certain day and usually didn't shave 2 days in a row, so I would sometimes skip days which I didn't really want to do. Now if I shave and need to shave the next day, I will. I used the same Yaqi razor with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade. The soaps varied but all performed great.

4 639